Thread: Fender G-DEC PR 520 won't update

Forum Member

Fender G-DEC PR 520 won't update

I bought a lightly used Fender G-DEC amp yesterday. I'm trying to install a software update to V 1.03.03. I have it connected to a Windows 11 laptop. I got a MIDI to USB cable today. I found some basic MIDI software and get the input and output lights flashing on the MIDI cable adapter when playing a drum loop on the amp.

I'm able to send settings from the amp to a G-DEC preset editor.

Windows installed a generic driver for the MIDI cable.

The Fender G-Dec update software opens and appears to load the update but the lights on the MIDI cable don't flash and the amp never loads the update even though the software shows the update complete. After the amp is rebooted, the software has not been updated.

The amp is the first generation. Uses the 6 pin DIN type MIDI connections.

I've tried all the troubleshooting information I can find.
    Previous posts about this amp are very old.

I think maybe the generic driver for the MIDI cable might be the problem but there doesn't seem to be a driver specifically for the cable. The cable is made by Teninyu.

Anyone know how to get the software updated?

Forum Member

Re: Fender G-DEC PR 520 won't update

It took way more effort and expense than it was worth but I got the amp updated! I had to buy a 32 bit laptop and install Windows XP. Then I had to buy a M-Audio Midisport Uno USB to MIDI interface cable. After getting the cable and driver installed, it needed to be selected in the Sound and Audio Devices MIDI Music Playback dropdown menu.
    The G-DEC update software then installed the update to the amp and the amp booted up with the updated software version.