Thread: How long has it been since you played the song...(fill in your own choices)

How long has it been since you played the song...(fill in your own choices)

...Smoke on the Water on a Stratocaster? I admit that I still love this song. I heard it the other day and still marvel at Blackmore's amazing Strat tone.

i sat down only to play it tonight. First, I played it through my Les Paul, then my Explorer, and then, the BatStrat (AmProII Dark Knight). Each time, I was using an OCD pedal through my Deluxe. Which guitar sounded best for that song? The Strat. I don't know if mine sounds anything like Blackmore's, and I don't care. All I know is that it sounded great--full and just perfect for the song.

I can add a regret to my bucket of regrets: Although I've played 100s of 60s/70s rock tunes in bands, I never played that song. How could I have missed it?

It makes me want to start a band that plays exactly three songs I've never played live. Three songs and I'm out. Not long enough for the arthritis to know I'm playing:

1)Smoke on the Water (Strat)
    2) School's Out (Les Paul)
    3) Anarchy in the U.K. (just a piano, lounge lizard style, for no good reason).
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: How long has it been since you played the song...(fill in your own choices)

Played Smoke on the Water about 2 months ago at a show per venue owner's request and threw in Highway Star as a bonus. Guy flipped us a tip for it. It may be on YouTube somewhere, saw a lot of phones being held up.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I’ve never played “Smoke On the Water” and have never really missed doing that.

The song that pops into my head for something I miss playing is Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five” that it has to be twenty-five years since playing on stage. I was lucky enough to have played that music with a drummer who could solo in that 5/4 signature and musicians who enjoyed playing the song. I loved watching people try to dance to 5/4 time.

I miss my old friends who are no longer with me.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Both of those are great songs.

Years ago we worked up "Aqualing' and would toss it out when it looked like the audience needed a breather since it isn't really a good dancing tune. Kept the bartenders and waitresses busy though.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

"Take Five" was a popular break tune back in the day with the "Country Swing" bands. I was 17 and playing drums when I learned it!

Call it serendipity. A few weeks ago, a duo played America's Ventura Highway at an open mic. That reminded me of all the America songs I learned since I saw them open for Cat Stevens in concert back in '71. They were my age, and their combined harmonies -- both vocal and guitar -- floored me. I bought their first album, and nearly wore the grooves off it. America introduced me to major sevenths, ninths, key changes and complex rhythms. I bought every album with the "H" title, and matching song books.

Then, on another discussion, the topic came up with your favorite acoustic guitar songs. Wow, memories of all those hours playing and jamming to America songs came back to me.

So, I've pulled out my handwritten songbook (transposed, copied, adapted, etc.) and I've found myself playing America songs again. Ventura Highway is not one of them, as it never appealed to me the way Three Roses, Miniature/Tin Man, Rainy Day (a great 12-string piece!), Never Found The Time and others. In fact, when I finally got the Hat Trick (named, I believe because it's a three-parter, and each part written by one of the band) I felt mightily accomplished!

I'm now revisiting these songs, and I think I'll choose one (or two) for my next appearance at the open mic.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I really love some of America's songs. When they're at their best, they are among the best. Daisy Jane, Ventura Highway, Sister Golden Hair, Sandman. It would be so much fun to play those songs with a band.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Friend of mine has band that covers them. Vocals and harmonies are challenging to say the least, and the people in the audience who like them are long gone by 7:45 lol!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Friend of mine has band that covers them. Vocals and harmonies are challenging to say the least, and the people in the audience who like them are long gone by 7:45 lol!
    +1

Usually clad in Birkenstocks and a cardigan sweater and driving a Prius.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    +1

Usually clad in Birkenstocks and a cardigan sweater and driving a Prius.

I really, really try to be open-minded and respect anyone who has the gumption to put it out there live, BUT, something about a folkie carving out an America tune makes me want to reenact the future Senator Blutarsky "Sorry" scene. Those songs are supposed to be vocals forward and ride on the kit, not over-strummed into submission.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 02-23-2024 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Those songs are supposed to be vocals forward and ride on the kit, not over-strummed into submission.
    No disagreement from me. I stopped playing those songs years ago because I was more focused on the guitar work. When you only have one guitar and are trying to mimic three guitars harmonizing, the challenge can be daunting. But now I'm back in the singing mode. With only eight minutes to pump out a couple of songs, the guitar becomes less the focus and the singing the presentation. Six minute jams just don't cut it.

And my singing has improved markedly since I started doing this.
    Striving to be ordinary

I played and sang George Harrison's Isn't It A Pity one evening at an open mic in Yuma, Arizona.

I barely got one verse into it before one of the local musicians got up and started playing bass guitar behind me.

He told me afterwards, "Man, I haven't heard that song in decades. Thanks for dredging that one up for us!"

Am I alone in this?
    Am I alone?

I actually played the intro to Stairway last week. Well, the first 4 notes
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Well, after my last post I moved on to another song. An original.

I wrote a song and put it to paper on May 16, 1972. How do I know? Because I still have the original paper! It's a little ditty that I've never played in public, but now that I'm performing with some regularity at the folk club, I thought I'd dust it off, clean it up a bit, and add the instrumental break it's never had but always needed.

There's a funny (to me, anyway) side story to this piece. In 1972 I was a sophomore in college and taking my second semester of music theory. Our final exam given to us by our professor was to take a currently popular song and write it out in four-part harmony. I asked the prof if I could use my own original song and he agreed. I aced the course!

The sheet music I wrote it out on is long gone, but I still have the original. And since it's mine, I can recall it like the day I wrote it down!
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I actually played the intro to Stairway last week. Well, the first 4 notes
    Did Stairway live last weekend. Love a good Telecaster song.