Thread: I wrote the basslines for a song…

I wrote the basslines for a song…

…playing a bass.

now I need one.

Re: I wrote the basslines for a song…

The bass you are playing on the video sounds great. Very good tone.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    …playing a bass.

now I need one.
    As a little sideline to your post Sergio, I was originally a violin player and then switched to sax so I never learned to read music in bass clef. Back in my recording days, the band would write out my parts in treble clef and I’d put it in the register on the bass that I thought sounded best.

Wish I would have been a bit more serious as a musician and actually applied myself more.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

A video is referenced but I don’t see one. Oh, you don’t write bass lines, bass lines write you. Being both a guitarist and bassist, at least for me, bass is much more a feel thing.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    A video is referenced but I don’t see one. Oh, you don’t write bass lines, bass lines write you. Being both a guitarist and bassist, at least for me, bass is much more a feel thing.
    You're preachin' to the choir here when saying bass is a feel thing. However, when I played in this 10 piece horn group where most of the horn players had music degrees and wrote tunes for us to record, they'd have a specific idea of how they wanted tunes to be put together so I'd get a basic chart of what they were looking for. Once we were out of the studio and playing the stuff live I'd put "my twist on things" and it became my feel on their basic idea. When I listed to the CDs now I think some of the bass lines were rather sterile but respectable.

I agree that bass is "a feel thing" to a certain extent. A lot of guitarists will play bass and either stick slavishly to the root or try to play lead guitar on it.

As you guys know, bass is the beat, the groove, the heart of popular musics.

You can hold the beat down, add some flare and subtle rhythm variations, and take a song somewhere new melodically--all at the same time.

If you notice, in the mixes of much music since stereo became popular, bass is prominently mixed, often in the center, often louder than the guitars.

That's true in music not thought of as dance music.

It is not true to say, I can play guitar, so I guess I can play bass too. Bass is a completely different animal and should be approached that way.

So sayeth I on this Sabbath in the 5th groove of cool, 2024. Amen.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

If the question being asked is 'what kind of bass should I buy?', I'd recommend something cost-effective and full-featured. A Squier JV Jazz or Precision should serve you in good stead -- reasonably priced and offering traditional Fender performance.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    If the question being asked is 'what kind of bass should I buy?', I'd recommend something cost-effective and full-featured. A Squier JV Jazz or Precision should serve you in good stead -- reasonably priced and offering traditional Fender performance.
    Totally agree. I'd recommend going with the Affinity Series that has Precisions with a Jazz pickup too. Even if it's not the same as having both a Precision and a Jazz, it'll get you close enough, and let the sound engineering do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Amen. That’s exactly what I was thinking about. I don’t intend to become a bassist so to speak, but since I can play it well enough to figure and record my own basslines (which I was surprised about), why not have a bass nearby?

@Mark: the video is on Facebook, Willie saw it there.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

If we are throwing low $ bass recommendations out: look at the Squire CV series. Much pleased with mine (70sP and a fret less J)
    Mark

I am at a loss for what is most available where you are. Are there limitations? Just curious.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    I am at a loss for what is most available where you are. Are there limitations? Just curious.

We have not many limitations except maybe for some brands like RIC and Danelectro, which are not directly imported to us, and are usually purchased used or directly from the US or Europe.

The only real downside is the price, as our currency ain’t worth a damn, so everything is expensive.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    A lot of guitarists will play bass and either stick slavishly to the root or try to play lead guitar on it..
    That's me! When I tried my hand at it, I was very bad and didn't keep with it. Maybe I'll try again!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey_MTL View Post
    That's me! When I tried my hand at it, I was very bad and didn't keep with it. Maybe I'll try again!
    Nothing wrong with learning. Everyone has to learn.