Thread: Sunday Thread 1/21/24

Sunday Thread 1/21/24

Go Bills!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Sunday Thread 1/21/24

We’re starting off the week with another 6° morning, but by the middle of the week we’ll be back up to the upper 30’s giving the roads a chance to clear of ice…yippee!

The Packers played a good game and went further this year than I thought they would, but the season is over for them. My wife is rooting for the Lions since the haven’t done to good in the past.

Hope all have a great week!

Sorry - I don't follow basketball so I don't know the teams you are mentioning.

Yeah, it's cold! I had to do a workshop yesterday morning and actually took my wife's Subaru for a change. My truck sits outside and her car is in the garage, plus she has a steering wheel heater - I laughed when she told me about it, but it's actually pretty nice to have. I was foolish last week and didn't shovel the couple inches of snow on the drivway so now it's all ice. That means the Mustang is garaged for another week. It's supposed to be in the 40s and rainy later this week.

Have a great one!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Hi Y'all. I'm staying in today (fourth day in a row). I'm sort of "play isolating" as if COVID were a thing again. I'm not sick, nor do I fear getting sick, but the cold weather, snow and ice have just seeped all the motivation out of me to go out. As a result, my exercise regimen is in the tank, but at least I'm spending quality time with my guitar (sigh, the bass has gone to the back seat again).

My interest in handegg (football) has renewed somewhat, although I have more of a dispassionate eye when watching games. However, I am rooting for the kid Purdy, "Mr. Irrelevant" who is, IIRC, the only quarterback in the post-season who wasn't a first-round draft pick. I like rooting for the underdog. So, I'll be watching the games today, eating soup (why is it soup and cold weather just seem to go together?) and staying in.

Have a great Sunday everyone. See you down the stretch.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Good morning everyone!

10am here. I'm sipping my second mug of coffee and browsing the news about the 2024 baseball season (mostly checking the Yankees' players). As I intend to slow down on occupations this year, one of the things I'll do to relax is follow the season more closely. I'm also browsing the web for a Yankees jersey.

As for Handegg, I don't really watch NFL but Rob has been talking about the Packers, maybe Ill check them out.

I signed with a new recording studio, a much more professional one. Next Friday I'll pull out the Rickenbacker and record some new stuff for my EP. Btw the guys from my former band got in touch yesterday, wanting to know if I'm still interested in gigging with them. I said no.

Other than that I'm diving into Sociology, maybe I'll enter a master's degree program and my research could be music related. I'm currently reading Dennis McNally's "On highway 61" and Theodor Adorno's "Sociology of music".

Have a nice Sunday, friends.

Hmmm thanks to Chuck and Rob, I think I'll watch Chiefs vs Bills this evening.

Sergio,
    I've read a few of Adorno's books and one he wrote with Max Horkheimer, but it's been decades ago. Might have to pick one up again. I remember Adorno hating jazz and tying it to gross capitalism.

We found a guy who wanted to take the dog who attacked my girlfriend. Guy has a workshop he wants to protect. He'll be good to the dog, we think. We are sick about it all. We were attached to him, but after he attacked us, we couldn't trust him.

As usual, I get in about 20 minutes a day of playing, bass a couple of nights, guitar a couple. I pulled out the Explorer yesterday. It is a brute. I'm almost afraid of playing wrong notes on it--it might turn around and smack the shit out of me for doing so.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

cold here, whodda thunk it in winter, eh? Got my driveway scraped down to bare asphalt just before the thermometer bulb snapped off. Old office heater started making strange squealing noises, got a replacement that arrived yesterday. Digital readout instead of the blank unnumbered dial. So far it appears to be the same set it and forget it as my bedroom heater. Steady temperature control is not overrated.

Slept through most of the Niners - Packers game, don't know what was with that. First really good game of the playoffs and I couldn't keep my eyes open, woke up with 1:07 left. I'd love to see a Lions - Bills SB, with the big cats prevailing. Detroit should just about cease to exist from the pyrotechnic celebrations that would ensue.

been working on sheet music this week, still need a viable solution to read the damn things that doesn't entail me having to hunch over and squinting, my back is limiting me more than my fingers. Been using my illuminated loupe that I work on guitar stuff with. Does ok but after 20 minutes I start getting a headache.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Sergio,
    I've read a few of Adorno's books and one he wrote with Max Horkheimer, but it's been decades ago. Might have to pick one up again. I remember Adorno hating jazz and tying it to gross capitalism.

We found a guy who wanted to take the dog who attacked my girlfriend. Guy has a workshop he wants to protect. He'll be good to the dog, we think. We are sick about it all. We were attached to him, but after he attacked us, we couldn't trust him.

As usual, I get in about 20 minutes a day of playing, bass a couple of nights, guitar a couple. I pulled out the Explorer yesterday. It is a brute. I'm almost afraid of playing wrong notes on it--it might turn around and smack the shit out of me for doing so.

Willie, Adorno is a very controversial author. In his Sociology he presents a different view on jaz and other musical forms of expression than he did in his previous writings. However, I don't disagree entirely with the idea of many jazz musicians coping with capitalist logic. Besides, his methods of analysis are my focus of study, not
    his conclusions. He has been 'rediscovered' and revisited by many scholars in the past decade.

Hey, I'm glad that you guys found a new place for your dog. Vicious dogs can be great guards, the owners only have to keep in mind that they are not pets. They're guard dogs or attack dogs. Anyway, so good to know that the pup will live.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Darn Laker, you’re warmer than I. It was 1* here in IN this AM. Played a couple bass gigs this AM. Feeling a need for a nap. After that it’s a run to Sam’s for a TurboTax CD (sorry I’m a physical media guy), then watch some hand egg. My teams out but my wife’s is still in.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Hey, I'm glad that you guys found a new place for your dog. Vicious dogs can be great guards, the owners only have to keep in mind that they are not pets. They're guard dogs or attack dogs. Anyway, so good to know that the pup will live.
    Thanks. We just miss him, even after the attacks, but it's just not safe. The doctor told my gf that if a child had gotten the same injuries, the child would have died from them.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Packing for a 2 1/2 week trip to Florida tomorrow. Bicycle riding, guitar playing, short sleeving, and responsibility shirking. My kind of life!

Two new songs in the works that will hopefully complete the album I've been working on. Gotta get it done because the arthritis is claiming my hands fast!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Packing for a 2 1/2 week trip to Florida tomorrow. Bicycle riding, guitar playing, short sleeving, and responsibility shirking. My kind of life!

Two new songs in the works that will hopefully complete the album I've been working on. Gotta get it done because the arthritis is claiming my hands fast!
    What are your rules about shor
    ts (in Florida)?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain