Thread: Sunday "stay warm" thread!

Sunday "stay warm" thread!

It looks like a good chunk of the US is COLD right now - we've had warm rainy weather here in Connecticut for way too long, but I hear it's about to change. For those of you freezing your cojones off - hang in there - for the rest of us - time to dig out the long johns. Worked on a new tune on Friday - it's a protest song I wrote back in the VietNam era, but it almost seems like it could become relevant again. Put a weird spin on it - it's a rock tune but the breaks between verses were guitar solos in 1974, but I'm thinking of having someone rap parts of the Declaration of Independence instead. We have the song pretty complete except the rap part. I'm going to give it to a couple rapper freinds of my daughter to see if they can make something happen. We'll see. We also processed my voice so it sounds like it is going through a megaphone - this one is not in my comfort zone - but that's why I'm enjoying it. When we get a bit further along I'll share.

Week two of my daughter and her family staying with us - it's still lots of fun - but the food bill!????
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Sunday "stay warm" thread!

G'Morning, everyone. Or whatever time it is when you read this. We too, in the mid-Atlantic are bracing for some winterlike weather. Today they are predicting a "wintery mix" of rain, snow and sunshine. What a mix, eh? Tomorrow more of the same. In fact, Wednesday is the only day of the week where the word "snow" doesn't appear in the forecast. I don't feel it's time to abandon the cars just yet, but we have to be prepared in any event!

My legs are very tired. I've put a few miles on my shoe leather this week, so I think today after church I'll buy gas (what a concept - now that I don't have an electric car anymore!), grab some lunch and then spend my afternoon on the couch with some handegg on the TV, my bass in my lap, and an open book telling and showing me what to do with it.

On a Zoom meeting yesterday, I was told that I looked as though retirement agreed with me. I looked calm, no stress lines, no hurries. I agree.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

The temperature when I got up this morning was at 10° here and is supposed to be going lower the next few days. It’s quite a change from the days leading up to the holiday season when we had temps in the upper 30’s to lower 40’s and there was no snow on the ground. This past Friday we had a snowstorm that began on that morning and lasted until noon yesterday with 40-50 mile an hour winds with “white-out” conditions for driving. After battling the snow with the snowblower for two hours yesterday my wife and I headed out for dinner and found several cars buried in the snow on the interstate along with a tour bus that, with the aid of the police blocking traffic, was being dragged out of the median strip. We even placed a 911 call when we arrived on the scene on a car buried in the snow on its roof on the other side of the interstate.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Yesterday was a bunch of errands. Church online today, a few more errands, some handegg and some work.
    This new job (60 days yesterday) is taking some time. Bowed out of some regular paying gigs for a while to free up some time. Still have 3 more gigs this month and 6 more lined up for next month. Mix of lead and bass.
    It's chilly here. Feels like is -8F. Had a dusting the last couple nights. Getting some new tires on the new to me truck this Friday.

Installed a subwoofer to my studio monitors yesterday. Sounds good but also encountering something. See my post in Soundcheck.
    Mark

last Sunday we were digging out but the storm wasn't done yet. By Monday morning we had 14.7". I had to shovel and snowblow a pretty goodly portion of that mess because my brother had to leave for work. I needed to be able to get out to take my cat to the vet for a long-overdue wellness check so I could purchase his prescription food again. I put a solid 4 hours into that and could barely move Monday night. By Wednesday I was able to function nearly as semi-normally as my condition allows me.

today, the only places where there's snow is where it was piled by plowing or shoveling. My back yard is almost completely bare as it was before last Saturday. We've had about 5 inches of rain and 50 degree temperatures through out the week. We might be getting some snow in a couple days and it is definitely getting colder. I need to get a new gas can and fill it so I can refuel the snowblower which ran out of gas as I was going to park it in the back yard.

Had a guitar neck I bought from TN that was supposed to be here yesterday, for some strange reason it is delayed I am not surprised. It looks windy AF out there, trees are swaying wildly. Weather advisory for possible snow squalls this afternoon. I kind of want to go for a walk as my mobility is improving and I'd like to get more exercise but I have zero cold resilience built up from all my staying indoors 24/7. No 1 o'clock hand egg but I'm getting a break from brother and his GF for 4 or 5 hours so I'm probably going to play guitar while I can. I originally thought I was going to have the house to myself this weekend
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Heading to Tampa on the 22nd for 2 1/2 weeks. Looking forward to some bicycle riding, walking and outdoor activities. Hope it doesn't snow til I get back. I like the snow. If it's going to be winter, let's have some snow!

Writing a couple more tunes. 176 BPM rockin' blues tune about a girl, his car, and her lead boots. Big fun.

Heading out for a walk soon. Then back to playing guitar and other stuff.

Have fun everyone!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Wife and stepdaughter took a quick trip. Yesterday was wife's grandma's 95th birthday so they went to celebrate with her. Since I'm studying for a master's degree in Sociology I had to stay in town.

Had breakfast with my mother earlier this morning, got some groceries on the way back to the apartment and right now I'm waiting for the sun to go down so I can give the reading a break and start sipping my usual Sunday Buds and preparing some pizza for dinner which should be ready when the missus gets back home.

Been kinda lazy with the guitar lately. Quit my cover band and will focus 100% on working on my own songs. I recently signed with a better studio with good gear and staff. I think by March my upcoming EP will be all set to be released. I am really enjoying writing and playing my own stuff.

17 degrees here in West Tennessee. Everybody's freaking out about the little to no snow we're supposed to get in a few hours. I'd be surprised if we get more than a light dusting. Yesterday, they were saying 4-6". Now they've revised it to less than an inch. It's the same bs every winter.

Spent last night in the ER with my girlfriend. In October, we took in her grandson's pit/lab. I have a pit/lab, and he couldn't be a sweeter, more passive dog. He's a big silly baby.

However, this dog turned on me when we took him in, and then, he got used to me. Last night, my girlfriend was petting him, and she got up, and gently scooted him over with the back of her hand. He went apeshit, bit her chest, her legs, and mangled her hand. She had to get stitches for one laceration. The rest were deep wounds.

I have grown to love the dog, but now, we think we're going to have to have him put to sleep. We can't rehome him, and we just don't trust him. We're afraid of him. I take blood thinners, and one good bit might be all it took to end it. It's breaking our hearts. No rescues or shelters will take him.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Before putting that dog down, check if there aren't any nearby farms who use dogs for surveillance.

Down here many farmers like to have such aggressive dogs in order to keep strangers out of their properties. It's better than putting them down, at least

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Before putting that dog down, check if there aren't any nearby farms who use dogs for surveillance.

Down here many farmers like to have such aggressive dogs in order to keep strangers out of their properties. It's better than putting them down, at least
    I agree. The problem is, farmers are afraid of having aggressive dogs around their livestock--and their families. Our shelters, too, are full, and in any case, won't accept vicious animals.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

Temps here in WA state are in the teens. Over the w/end I received not one but two emails from our energy company urging us to use less electricity & natural gas to heat our homes, so while we may be freezing, at least we know that we are preventing global warming

Forum Member

Once they get through knocking down the hydroelectric dams, they won't have to ask anymore!

TFF Stage Crew

"We've got fish we gotta save!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    "We've got fish we gotta save!"
    IIRC, fishing is a substantial part of your state's economy. Of course, I may be biased, lol!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim