Thread: My Little Town

My Little Town

Our paper is using this photo in a magazine and as the cover on the FB page.

I'm developing my skills, but I'm kind of proud of this one. Unfortunately, I was unable to use a tripod because I was shooting through a crack in a tiny office window.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: My Little Town

You could use some imaging software to sharpen the focus a skosh.

Nice composition.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    You could use some imaging software to sharpen the focus a skosh.

Nice composition.
    Thanks. I ran it through photoshop but I wish I’d been able to use the tripod and clicker. I have a tremor from neurological bs that’s not helpful.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I have two and a half tripods and one and a half monopods. Which is an odd thing to say, but one of my tripods has the ability to convert to a monopod.

When I was serious about photography (I sold some, so I guess that makes me serious; I did show dog photography, for example) having a tripod was a necessity. The downsides to tripods are two: You need to have time to set up the shot, and you need to be able to carry it with the rest of your camera gear.

No matter what you choose for a tripod, one thing you must be able to do is "sandbag" it. Look for a tripod that has a hook or fastener of some sort just below the apex. This is where you can hang a weight (a sandbag) to steady the tripod. Even sturdy tripods can fall victim to high winds and uneven territory. Also, if you're interested in long-exposure photos (the moon, the night sky, fireworks, etc.) a tripod is a must.

I chose
    Manfrotto for my needs. They are reputable, and many of them collapse into a manageable size, which can fit into your camera bag's side pocket or straps. They aren't expensive, and are worth their weight in gold.

These days, they are offered in aluminum or carbon fiber. I bought my aluminum before CF became a "thing." But I learned the hard way that if you're going to be shooting in sub-freezing weather, it's a good idea to wear gloves. I did an early morning shoot at Bryce Canyon and didn't think it got that cold there. Yes, it warmed up to the 80s in the afternoon, but it was C-O-L-D at dawn. Lesson learned.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Nice composition.
    I would suggest revisiting this scene at a different time of day when the front of the building is not in shadow.
    That building is the main subject in the photo and should be presented as so.

If getting light on the front of the building just doesn't work because of the path of the sun, try waiting til the sun is almost set, or just as it rises.

You're a few clicks away from a great photo. The only thing missing is a little effort.

This is one of those cases where, you just have to go and do it manually. Photoshop is NOT the answer. Good luck.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I'd add a couple of girls in bikinis too.

And change title not to reflect a really bad Paul Simon "album filler" song.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I've always loved the song "My Little Town." I think the whole Still Crazy albums is one of his best.

i have a great tripod, heavy duty with a place to take a weight. It's also got great features--can turn into a desk mount or a monopod. Good for panning video. I've got a hybrid Sony mirrorless 7ariv. Great camera.

I have a friend who's a pro. I sent him some of my "challenged" pics and the settings with which they were taken. He gave me a world of practical advice. Good to have friends who know more than I do.