Thread: First Sunday snowfall of the season!

First Sunday snowfall of the season!

Looks liek we have about 6"=8" of snow on the ground so far, with more predicted later today. We have extra hands on deck for cleanup today. My daughter's family ( her, her fiancee and her son) are staying with us for a couple weeks while the renovations on their new house get finished). It's been fun having them here - my routine is all messed up, but they're fun to have around! They sure eat a lot, though!

Busy week on tap - lots of workshops scheduled for the next few weeks. The legislature mandated that all new board of ed members in Connecticut must recieve training within the first year of office - and that's what I do; so - busy times ahead. Also back in the studio next Friday to keep working on tunes. Have a great week everybody!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: First Sunday snowfall of the season!

I accidentally closed the tab on my reply before clicking "Submit," so here goes again.

I saw a snowflake yesterday. I was standing at the window and it wafted down, hit the street and melted immediately. All the weeklong hype about the first "storm of the winter" and the doomsday nor'easter passed us by. We did get a ton of rain, though. I stayed indoors and broke my streak of 10,000 steps a day. I probably needed the rest.

Nothing on tap for me this week. That's just the way I want it.

But.

I swapped out basses. I watched Rich Brown's (
    Brown'stone) lesson #1 and decided to start from the beginning. He begins by discussing hand position, and states the thumb on the playing hand should be anchored on one of the pickups . My Spector acoustic-electric isn't made that way, so I decided to use my Ibanez instead. Yes, I'm starting from the basics. I'm going to spend at least 15 minutes a day just playing two-finger quarter notes on the E, F and G notes. Build the muscle memory before moving on. If I'm going to play the bass in earnest, I have to get the basics down first.

So, a question for you bass players: I plugged in to my Fender Champion 40. I know it's not a bass amp, but since I'm not interested in "pushing air" but just in hearing what I'm practicing, I shouldn't be risking damage to it, should I? It's solid-state, and if I don't crank it, I'm probably OK, right?

Have a good, safe, warm and dry Sunday.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I accidentally closed the tab on my reply before clicking "Submit," so here goes again.

I saw a snowflake yesterday. I was standing at the window and it wafted down, hit the street and melted immediately. All the weeklong hype about the first "storm of the winter" and the doomsday nor'easter passed us by. We did get a ton of rain, though. I stayed indoors and broke my streak of 10,000 steps a day. I probably needed the rest.

Nothing on tap for me this week. That's just the way I want it.

But.

I swapped out basses. I watched Rich Brown's (
    Brown'stone) lesson #1 and decided to start from the beginning. He begins by discussing hand position, and states the thumb on the playing hand should be anchored on one of the pickups . My Spector acoustic-electric isn't made that way, so I decided to use my Ibanez instead. Yes, I'm starting from the basics. I'm going to spend at least 15 minutes a day just playing two-finger quarter notes on the E, F and G notes. Build the muscle memory before moving on. If I'm going to play the bass in earnest, I have to get the basics down first.

So, a question for you bass players: I plugged in to my Fender Champion 40. I know it's not a bass amp, but since I'm not interested in "pushing air" but just in hearing what I'm practicing, I shouldn't be risking damage to it, should I? It's solid-state, and if I don't crank it, I'm probably OK, right?

Have a good, safe, warm and dry Sunday.
    Just back off the bass boost and be gentle with it. When I practice I use my little Eden WTX500 with headphones plugged into it and have no problems. As far as hand position I usually will anchor on the pickup (actually wore the finish off on my Stingray 5) but sometimes use the B string on my 5 string. For many years I played with a thumb pick and rested the heel of my hand on the bridge cover of my P bass.

We finally got a little snow that I shoveled off the sidewalk yesterday. I was really happy that I removed the outside Christmas lighting on Friday when there was no snow on the ground. I’m used to usually wallowing around in 12-18” of snow when I’m doing that so it was a pleasant change.

Hope all have a great week.

OS, I think you'll be all right. The other night, I pulled a Chris Squire move and used the Ric-o-Sound output on my Ric 4001. With a stereo splitter cable, it allows the output from the treble pup and that from the neck pup to go into different amps. I ran the treble pup through my Deluxe, the neck pup through my Rumble 350. No problems with the Deluxe. I didn't have it cranked.

We went out for ribeyes last night, ate like royalty, and so I've been on the throne since the cock crew. I'd like to abdicate.

A shout out to Laker--I've noticed a couple of posts where you've expressed that you feel transparent here sometimes. Well, I might not always respond, but I always enjoy reading your posts. It's always nice to hear from bassists. But I also enjoy your posts flat out. On this morning thread, we all just throw out our stuff, and we rarely acknowledge each other. Silliness for sure.

Gibson Junkie. Having lived up in your area for two years, I know what those massive snow storms are like. And that's the part I miss most! I don't miss shoveling the driveway and sidewalk. I don't miss the terribly unfriendly folks in the Storrs area (met great people in other parts of the state). But I love snow. I used to enjoy it when Coventry Lake froze over--I lived across the street from one area. The ice fishermen would be out, and it was a treat for this Southerner to see them drilling through the ice during a hard freeze. I enjoyed walking on the ice after a particularly hard storm. So yes, I miss the snow. Do you enjoy it at all or is it just a bother?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Cold this weekend, just a little bit of snow last week. Blower on the furnace started making noise Thursday night, (no lube holes provided), I ordered a motor that should be here Wednesday. Woke up to a cold house this morning, pulled the motor, and drilled holes to oil the bushings, will run about 10 min and trip the reset! I hope I can find the one this one replaced and get a few more days out of it, I think it was still working.

We've got about an inch of heavy snow and it's starting to rain.

Our son started a drive from our home in Massachusetts to Phoenix on Thursday morning. He's in New Mexico now and had to switch to a southern route to avoid the storm.

Sunny, warm day down here.

Visited a Baptist church with the missus this morning, then had breakfast and went to my old folks' to check on them.

Nice drills at the shooting range yesterday, I'll be brushing the bore and using some Hoppes 9 and WD40 to clean and dress the 1911 this afternoon.

Later on a Bud or six and some Rickenbacker picking.

I'm in Southern Connecticut right now where the snow piked up to a whole 1.50 inches. Supposed to get some more later. Don't think it will amount to much.

Working on a few new rhythm grooves today. Blues based for a song. Don't know what it's about yet.

Crushing Amazon boxes that keep piling up. I don't know what's worse. Making the effort to go to the store, or dealing with the "convenience" of on-line ordering and endless box crushing for the recycling bin.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Phew, last night's show was a real PITA.

Whiteout conditions for 40 miles on the ride there. Even though this storm had been advertised for days the NYS Thruway was unplowed and unsalted so the roads were covered and icey. The stage was totally dark for setup which meant using headlamps and phones, used my rack system and setting it up in the dark was a real chore, adding in the stress of arriving late and being amped from the white-knuckle ride.

Sound guy did magic in getting a usable mix. Guy has mad skills and saved our bacon.

Show was OK except the lights were terrible and directly in my face so I couldn't see the audience. We're all in agreement we will never play the venue again. Ride home was OK since the snow stopped, got home at 2AM, quick toke and off to bed.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

we had a gathering last night to replace the cancelled gathering 2 weeks ago. Fortunately the snow mostly held off until after it was over. Snarfed some leftovers for a brunch and trying to stay awake. So far we got about 5 inches and it is snowing again after a break this morning.

set up my recording rig last sunday evening, played my recent acquisition a 2010 CV50 Tele. Might break out a guitar while watching football. No plans to go anywhere.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    OS, I think you'll be all right. The other night, I pulled a Chris Squire move and used the Ric-o-Sound output on my Ric 4001. With a stereo splitter cable, it allows the output from the treble pup and that from the neck pup to go into different amps. I ran the treble pup through my Deluxe, the neck pup through my Rumble 350. No problems with the Deluxe. I didn't have it cranked.

We went out for ribeyes last night, ate like royalty, and so I've been on the throne since the cock crew. I'd like to abdicate.

A shout out to Laker--I've noticed a couple of posts where you've expressed that you feel transparent here sometimes. Well, I might not always respond, but I always enjoy reading your posts. It's always nice to hear from bassists. But I also enjoy your posts flat out. On this morning thread, we all just throw out our stuff, and we rarely acknowledge each other. Silliness for sure.

Gibson Junkie. Having lived up in your area for two years, I know what those massive snow storms are like. And that's the part I miss most! I don't miss shoveling the driveway and sidewalk. I don't miss the terribly unfriendly folks in the Storrs area (met great people in other parts of the state). But I love snow. I used to enjoy it when Coventry Lake froze over--I lived across the street from one area. The ice fishermen would be out, and it was a treat for this Southerner to see them drilling through the ice during a hard freeze. I enjoyed walking on the ice after a particularly hard storm. So yes, I miss the snow. Do you enjoy it at all or is it just a bother?
    I still enjoy cleaning up after the storm - we had around 8-10" - but it was heavy snow. I'm thinking this is the last winter I'll do it myself. At 71 it was all I could do to get it done today. I also enjoyed getting the truck out and driving around in the snow. Always fun!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

We got a few more inches of snow this afternoon. I cleaned up about 4" a little after 4pm.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Sat I grabbed a storage unit to load Christmas stuff into. Need to work through the mess of a garage over the next few months.

Played lead on the youth side of the church Sun. Honestly while the sound, lights, and recording is better on the adult side (x10), I love playing on the youth side

I’ll be on bass this week on the adult side. I’ve postponed all my other gigs for a while as I get this new job wrangled. Should have a new SW for the studio monitors showing up tomorrow. I hesitated getting the additional cables until I see what lengths I need in reality.
    Mark