Thread: The Sunday Thread for NEW YEAR'S EVE, 2023-2024

The Sunday Thread for NEW YEAR'S EVE, 2023-2024

At the risk of colliding with someone beginning a Sunday thread, here goes:

Happy Sunday! And Happy New Year's Eve! Another trip around the sun and the earth still hasn't blown itself up. Maybe in 2024? I hope not.

No plans for tonight other than spend it like every other Sunday. And that's fine with me. I hope y'all have a safe one, and Happy New Year!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for NEW YEAR'S EVE, 2023-2024

I’m another person who won’t be going out on the town tonight. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve gone out on New Year’s Eve over the last 60 years of being a musician if I wasn’t playing a gig on that night. There are too many drunken fools out and about.

This has got to be the strangest winter I can remember. In my part of this country we’ve already had snow storms by the end of October and sub zero temperatures during the Christmas season, but this year there is no snow on the ground and the temps are bumping that 40° mark. It has to be one for the record books.

Happy New Year!

We also are experiencing weird weather here in Connecticut. It's been mostly in the 40s and a LOT of rain this year. We are not doing anything this evening, eitehr. Originally the Mrs. invited a couple friends over - they're nice people, but I could have passed without issue. Unfortunately for them the husband and son both have COVID right now so they're not going anywhere. Plus my daugther, her fiance and son are bunking with us for about a week. They are almost finished renovating the house they just bought, but it needs a couple days work before they can move in. Two more days ofd rest and then it's going to get very busy at work. That's OK - I love my work!

Happy New Year!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Doing church from home as the wife is sick. Was planning on seeing a movie this afternoon, but we may postpone that. That’s OK, I still have 8-12 hours of work to complete before I get back to work on Tuesday.

This newish job is taking some serious time. Hopefully that 15% increase is coming soon. I’ve had to greatly decrease my gig schedule.
    Mark

Forum Member

We've been goofing off all through the week, I took a job in next week from an old customer. I did go to the shop Thursday and Friday, and melted some lead down so I can cast some bullets. My wife had book keeping things she had to catch up on, so it worked out.
    We've got tickets to a show tonight, my brother in law's nephew "Tobias Rene" is in town, although I'm not sure if he's bringing his band, or just headlining with a local backup. Last time we had a VIP table, but general admission tonight, my wife said we only have to stay as long we want!
    Happy New Year!

I finished most domestic chores yesterday, so today is me time. I did take time yesterday to play my Eastman jazz box. Just for friends, recorded a short version of the McCartney song "Baby's Request."

As for guitar activities today, I'm going to try to get up a few hangers and get guitars off stands.

It's sunny here. Going to take a walk with my s.o., and then we're going to take the dogs for rides and treats.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

going to be a domesticated party animal tonight. start cleaning the house for next weekend's gathering, laundry. No need to go anywhere, got sufficient larder stockpiled. Hang with the kitty, watch football, eat nachos, play guitar. If I do enough work around the house today, I may even be asleep by midnight

Actually, stayed up until 3 last night. Started playing guitar at 230 in the morning, d'oh. That Les Paul just jumped into my hands, I swear. It was fed up with the new Tele getting all the attention. Finished setting it up the other day. neck pickup is in optimal spot, bridge pickup needs tiny bit of lowering. Dial that in later. Might even get ambitious and pull my recording rig back out onto the bench. That'll guarantee I stay awake until the wee hours of the new year.

Have a happy and safe New Year's Eve. See ya in a year.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Happy to say Toby brought his band! Great sound, the kid is a showman, really connects with the crowd! I knew his trumpet player, (also his mentor) had died, but the replacement sounded good, maybe not as flashy as the original.
    I hadn't heard the local warmup band in several years, they sounded good, their keys player seemed to be lost in the ether often, but they had some good tunes. They got folks ready for the main show.

I played a fun wallpaper gig at a nice restaurant/dinner club kinda place in Bennington VT.

Started out on acoustic. No songs. Just meandering playing of chord progressions, melodies, noodling. Nothing to distract the patrons from their groups of friends.

Moved on to playing over some backing tracks on acoustic, and then on electric for a couple hours. Very low key, quiet, and not distracting. It's a lot harder than you think, if you've never played this kind of gig before.

They want to book me through the summer now. I almost feel guilty about it because the gig is benign. It's weird, but a great exercise in discipline and professionalism.

Time to find some more good backing tracks and gear up for the coming months, provided my hands hold up. They're hurtin' pretty good right now.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    I played a fun wallpaper gig at a nice restaurant/dinner club kinda place in Bennington VT.

Started out on acoustic. No songs. Just meandering playing of chord progressions, melodies, noodling. Nothing to distract the patrons from their groups of friends.

Moved on to playing over some backing tracks on acoustic, and then on electric for a couple hours. Very low key, quiet, and not distracting. It's a lot harder than you think, if you've never played this kind of gig before.

They want to book me through the summer now. I almost feel guilty about it because the gig is benign. It's weird, but a great exercise in discipline and professionalism.

Time to find some more good backing tracks and gear up for the coming months, provided my hands hold up. They're hurtin' pretty good right now.
    Cool beans Bob! sounds like fun. I used to do an acoustic thing like that at a Mexican restaurant years ago. Wasn't all that good at in truth so I know how hard that is to do.

I do dig the time you and I were playing in a 5 piece and people at the table right next to the stage were able to have a nice conversation while we were playing. Of course, as the afternoon went on folks got a bit rambunctious, but I was expecting that, lol! Especially considering the assemblage of miscreants we had .

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim