Thread: Brian May Special

Brian May Special

At about $1,000, they’re tempting guitars. I love double cutaways. YouTube vid reviews make them even more tempting. However, I would only buy one if I were still gigging. But man o man.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Brian May Special

I came this close to buying one. I just checked the web site for the first time in several years and see he's expanded the line quite a bit. For UKŁ295 (about US$310) the Mini May could be a great steal! Boasting a compact Red Special flavoured body shape, headstock and pickguard, 22.9" scale length for enhanced intonation and playability, through-body strung fixed bridge with adjustable saddles, and a single BM branded Tri-Sonic style pickup, I could definitely get into one! (Although I have no idea what kind of woods are meranti and merbau).

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I came this close to buying one. I just checked the web site for the first time in several years and see he's expanded the line quite a bit. For UKŁ295 (about US$310) the Mini May could be a great steal! Boasting a compact Red Special flavoured body shape, headstock and pickguard, 22.9" scale length for enhanced intonation and playability, through-body strung fixed bridge with adjustable saddles, and a single BM branded Tri-Sonic style pickup, I could definitely get into one! (Although I have no idea what kind of woods are meranti and merbau).

The
    That sort of looks like the Red Special, but not very much. The RS has an SSS configuration, 6 slide switches and a really funky trem.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The
    That sort of looks like the Red Special, but not very much. The RS has an SSS configuration, 6 slide switches and a really funky trem.
    Oh, for sure. One reason I had it bookmarked to purchase was the 24-fret 24" scale. The rest ain't too shabby, either: Indonesian mahogany body and neck, ebony fingerboard with zero fret (!), Brian May-designed electronics, and a gig bag (an optional Hiscox case is available). There's a lot to like about this guitar, in my opinion.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Having owned one for a few years, it’s a great guitar. Get the Hiscox case. A great player that’s very lightweight. Mine is in the natural color.
    Mark