Thread: The Sunday Thread for 11/26/2023

The Sunday Thread for 11/26/2023

I woke up at 1:30 this morning and thought it was more like 6:00 because it seemed very bright outside. Turns out it is snowing and the light from streetlights was reflecting off that white, snowy surface giving the illusion of early daylight. As long as I was up I flipped on the TV and watched a movie called “The Gods of Egypt” that had a lot of special effects but, for me, seemed to lack in a story that was easy to follow. Surprised it didn’t put me to sleep.

I’m waiting to see if I’m going to have to break out the snow shovel before heading out for breakfast or if, hopefully, the sun will melt off the little bit we are anticipated to get. Hope all have a great day!

Re: The Sunday Thread for 11/26/2023

So what you're saying is,

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
    Gave a lustre of midday to objects below,"

Anyhoo, got home from the show last night, couple quick winks and now out the door to chase smallmouth.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Good morning, everyone. There's no snow here, although the temperatures have dipped and it's now exactly 32°F. I'm still luxuriating in my retirement, so Sunday takes on less importance than it did. I find I have now doubled my outdoor ambulating, going for around an hour now. It's nice to be able to just stand up and say to myself, "I think I'll go for a walk now." And I do.

Because it's Sunday, I'll attend church, but the rest of the day will be the rest of the day. I cleaned and polished the wood floors in my kitchen yesterday. Let's see what I can clean today.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

We're going to my aunt's house to celebrate Thanksgiving. We usually do it the Sunday before Thanksgiving, but they're having it late this year so my daughter could make it. This is generally a busy weekend for me with Thanksgiving, picking up the last of the leaves, cleaning the gutters, getting the snowblower out and prepared for the season, preparing the Miata for winter storage, and getting a little rest, so I hope this doesn't become a new tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    We're going to my aunt's house to celebrate Thanksgiving. We usually do it the Sunday before Thanksgiving, but they're having it late this year so my daughter could make it. This is generally a busy weekend for me with Thanksgiving, picking up the last of the leaves, cleaning the gutters, getting the snowblower out and prepared for the season, preparing the Miata for winter storage, and getting a little rest, so I hope this doesn't become a new tradition.
    I’ve dragged leaves off the lawn three times now and the last batch is sitting on the curb buried in snow at this point. I highly recommend putting in the Leafguard style of gutter covers (cappilary action). We’ve had them in place for thirty years now and have absolutely no problems with gutters clogging or keeping them clean.

I was lazy getting the toys covered in the garage so the Corvette (and maybe two of the bikes) need a waterless wash before covering for the winter. The snowblower is still buried in the back of the garage between Harleys so I’ll have to dig that out tomorrow when I put the covers on the vehicles. My wife and I spent about an hour shoveling snow so it’s mandatory that the snowblower is moved to a more accessible position in the garage.

our snowblower is in a shop to determine whether or not it can be fixed. Getting worried as it was picked up 4 weeks ago tomorrow and we haven't heard from the repair guy yet. The forecast doesn't have definite snow for us in the next 10 days but every day the probability grows.

Trying to enjoy football but my team is not making it easy. It's been over 2 decades since they were this bad. It ain't '60s bad but sure ain't good either.

Got a new pedal to try out, an oil-can style delay (not real oil, simulated). After I do my exercises, I'll get warmed up and check it out. Post about it later in "WHYBGRITL48H?" thread.

Got our leaves cleaned up week before thanksgiving. Damn oak trees are the gift that keeps giving and we have a whole hillside of them behind our house.

Went to see a band last night. Thought it would be more crowded than it was but there was a competing Winter Holiday stroll that has been drawing 10s of thousands.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Planned on a totally lazy day, as this week is going to be a busy one. Then I looked outside, saw the leaves on the lawn, and got out the mower to do the lawn one more time, and then run the gas out of the mowers. Then helped the wife with her herb garden and the laptop I usually use looks like it has a broken keyboard - luckily I have a couple spares.

Friday I spent working on a couple new songs and saw the coolest thing. About three years ago I recorded a song with Charlie Karp that was supposed to be a duet. We didn't have a female vocailst at the time, so Charlie did the harmonies. It came out great, but it wasn't a duet.

Enter Paul Opalach and his magic A. I. software. It totally lifted all the vocals out of the tune, but leaving all the instruments perfectly. Now were going to re-record the vocals with the great vocalist we've been working with. I am really excited about hearing it the way it was written.

It's going to be EPIC!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

For the first time in a year, we had so many volunteers at the shelter that I came in, gave a treat to my favorite boy, and got to go home for a biscuit and bacon breakfast with my kids.

Taking it easy today for a change. Feels good to be lazy for a change.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Long weekend. We did Thanksgiving on Sat. Fri Santa got 99% of his shopping done plus picked up a Gibby SG Special for himself. Today was church, a haircut, some prep work for taxes this year, some football and some bonding with the new SG. Has the typical SG neck dive so will order some lighter weight tuners as well as find a seamstress to sew some suede on the inside of the strap.
    Mark

(Giggling)

gibsonjunkie has seen the pics.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Long weekend. We did Thanksgiving on Sat. Fri Santa got 99% of his shopping done plus picked up a Gibby SG Special for himself. Today was church, a haircut, some prep work for taxes this year, some football and some bonding with the new SG. Has the typical SG neck dive so will order some lighter weight tuners as well as find a seamstress to sew some suede on the inside of the strap.
    Congrats on the SG. I love my Pelham Blue Special. I keep it in my living room and play it almost every night.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I keep it in my living room and play it almost every night.
    Might not be wise if you keep cats, dogs, or pot-bellied pigs......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    It has been dog baptized, so now I’ve got it out of the war zone. I’m pretty much the pot bellied pig of the house but haven’t hiked on it…yet.

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Back when I owned a Gibson SG I didn't want to change the tuners, and a wide strap did the job just fine. Choose one that's suede or at least not too slippy on the inside and you'll be good to go. Congrats on the rock and roll machine that a SG is.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I keep my Telecaster hanging from a String Swing in the family room. Dog problem solved! (Cat problem solved by not having cats)!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

SG's are weird that way. Some neck dive, some don't. Just the luck of the draw and how dense the neck wood is. Maple necked SG's fuggetaboutit! I had a AAA flame Jalapeno DC that was gorgeous and sounded great but was a diver, so it was such a pain to play I flipped it. Made money on it so I guess that wasn't the worst buy I ever made. But wow, was she a looker!

I'm interested to see how the new Les Paul Modern Lites play and sound. I've seen figures like 6 pounds for them. Not a fan of the cheezy finish on them but the stage lights should make them pop.

Chuck

I got lucky with the weight on my SG—no neck dives. I had an Epi SG bass that was neck-dive city. Got rid of it ASAP.

Not unheard of to put a Vibrola tailpeice on an SG while leaving the ABR1 or Nashville bridge / stop tailpiece intact. You can hide weights under the vibrola cover to balance the guitar.

Plus, it looks bitchin'.

Chuck

I can't help but acknowledge the rig of one of my all-time favorite guitarists, the late John Cipollina. While Quicksilver Messenger Service is not (yet) in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, John's rig is on permanent display there.

Striving to be ordinary

You guys are mean. Now I need an SG

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I'm not sure what John saw in those Standel Imperial bass amps (my choice would be Sunn 190B's or 200S's) but to his credit all of the drivers were D-series JBL's. I heard this rig several time at both indoor and outdoor venues and it was an extremely potent combination. When he put his foot on the gas to step out for a solo you damn sure knew it!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I wish I could have taken better photos when I was there (the photo on johncipollina.com isn't copyable). According to the tech specs on the site, his SG's two pickups were wired one for bass and one for treble. The bass pickup fed into the two Standel bass amps on the bottom of the stack. Each Standel was equipped with two 15-inch speakers. The treble pickups fed the two Fender amps-a Fender Twin Reverb with two 12-inch speakers and a Fender Dual Showman- that drove the six Wurlitzer horns.

Coming out of the extended solo section of Who Do You Love, the blare of those horns was startling and dramatic.

Striving to be ordinary