Thread: Since all this nonsense starts so early these days.....

Since all this nonsense starts so early these days.....

...here's a little clarity. Or not.

https://youtu.be/vaJi6ugNHAk?si=vnSf9iAz59EDpTmr
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Re: Since all this nonsense starts so early these days.....

It's a humorous bit of word salad, even if it's theologically inaccurate.

Speaking of early nonsense, I was in a store the other day (I don't remember which -- I don't shop often) and the Christmas music was already streaming. Sigh.

And once again, all the hubbub about "Black Friday" is falling on deaf ears. Now I understand why. According to WalletHub's
    holiday shopping survey, 35% of items at major retailers will offer no savings compared to their pre-Black Friday prices.

A separate analysis of previous Black Friday sales found that 98% of the deals were the same price or cheaper at other points during the year. None were cheaper on Black Friday alone.

So there.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

TFF Stage Crew

Pretty sure JP has a different take these days, but all that aside, it was funny

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Speaking of early nonsense, I was in a store the other day (I don't remember which -- I don't shop often) and the Christmas music was already streaming. Sigh.

And once again, all the hubbub about "Black Friday" is falling on deaf ears. Now I understand why. According to WalletHub's
    holiday shopping survey, 35% of items at major retailers will offer no savings compared to their pre-Black Friday prices.

A separate analysis of previous Black Friday sales found that 98% of the deals were the same price or cheaper at other points during the year. None were cheaper on Black Friday alone.

So there.
    In our local Kohl’s department store the Christmas music starts the Monday after Halloween. My wife commented to her sales person that it was kind odd to be hearing it so early in the season and that person said she was so sick of it by Christmas because she heard it eight hours a day.

My wife and I celebrate the twelve days of Christmas so don’t agree with the commercializing of the holiday like we see these days.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I got so sick of the commercial profiteering at Christmas time that I stopped shopping in person altogether -- I buy all my gifts on-line and get to skip the snotty brats whining about the toys their parents can't afford to buy them, the 300-lb beauty queens waving a pair of thong panties at their husbands and asking if the skimpy garment makes them look fat, and the endless audio serenade exhorting me to deck the halls. The only present that embraces the true yule spirit is the one I give to the Savior. He doesn't need much personally so I ensure his work continues by writing a large check to St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

Perhaps that makes me a scrooge......perhaps not.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

"Miracle on 34th Street" was released June 11, 1947.

I spent years doing advertising for a retail chain. Orders for Christmas goods needed to be placed in June to receive the shipment in time to stock stores by the end of November. Which meant we needed to choose the items by the end of May. Ads were designed in August to print in September to distribute to newspapers in October to be inserted the day before Thanksgiving. To design the ads in the right mood, I listened to Christmas music in July and August.

I entered the Air Force on December 8, 1969. My family had our tree up by Thanksgiving and we celebrated Christmas (presents exchanged, etc) on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Four years later, when I was to be discharged and home by Christmas, I took ill and was kept on active duty for additional month and seventeen days, so I did not get home until mid-January... to find the tree and lights and decorations still up, and not a single package opened before I arrived.

When you see early or late holiday expressions, it might be to honor a service person whose active duty prevents celebrating the same day you do.

It's not always evil.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Just for clarity, how does one define "theologically inaccurate"? I mean, the whole basis of religion is faith, not fact.

And who decides which of the many teachings is the correct one?

And - what makes you think homo sapiens even has the intelligence to comprehend the actual universe as it really is and not by how it's perceived by our puny brains, or do you maintain that humans, when they stop being the most violent species on the planet have the capacity to know everything?

When faith becomes fact, logic and intellect go by the wayside. Prove me wrong.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

We are still at a very primitive time as a species. I so wish I could see what the world might be like 10,000 years from now.
    As time passes our fundamental skills are advancing so rapidly, and yet out cohabitational skills are still stuck in ancient times.
    When we finally become wise, this place will be pretty cool. We're on our way!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    We are still at a very primitive time as a species. I so wish I could see what the world might be like 10,000 years from now.
    As time passes our fundamental skills are advancing so rapidly, and yet out cohabitational skills are still stuck in ancient times.
    When we finally become wise, this place will be pretty cool. We're on our way!

It's hard for non-scientific people to understand that we are just another rung in the ongoing evolutionary ladder. Hopefully what evolves will be benevolent and treat us like pets!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I got so sick of the commercial profiteering at Christmas time that I stopped shopping in person altogether -- I buy all my gifts on-line and get to skip the snotty brats whining about the toys their parents can't afford to buy them, the 300-lb beauty queens waving a pair of thong panties at their husbands and asking if the skimpy garment makes them look fat, and the endless audio serenade exhorting me to deck the halls. The only present that embraces the true yule spirit is the one I give to the Savior. He doesn't need much personally so I ensure his work continues by writing a large check to St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

Perhaps that makes me a scrooge......perhaps not.
    Any gift to St. Judes is a blessing in itself. Happy Thanksgiving to you.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Just for clarity, how does one define "theologically inaccurate"? I mean, the whole basis of religion is faith, not fact.

And who decides which of the many teachings is the correct one?

And - what makes you think homo sapiens even has the intelligence to comprehend the actual universe as it really is and not by how it's perceived by our puny brains, or do you maintain that humans, when they stop being the most violent species on the planet have the capacity to know everything?

When faith becomes fact, logic and intellect go by the wayside. Prove me wrong.
    Chuck

I totally agree.

But also, I wish you all a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hannukah, a Happy Kwanzaa, or whatever gives you a sense of joy, peace, and acceptance.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison