Thread: The Sunday Thread for November 5, 2023

The Sunday Thread for November 5, 2023

Zounds! It's November already! It seems like just yesterday it was summer and mid-year.

I woke up this morning in my hotel room in Lima, Peru. It was a long day getting here yesterday, what with getting up a 2:00am to catch a 5:00am flight and then two transfers -- both of which got delayed -- I landed 19-1/2 hours later. I needed the sleep!

Today begins my eight day sojourn through my first trip to South America, capped off by a visit to Machu Picchu (although our local guide from the airport says the locals spell it "Macchu Picchu"), a place I've wanted to see for over 40 years. Since I'm now retired, I can't call this a vacation, so I'll just say it's a long-realized dream come true.

No guitar playing for me this trip, unless I happen upon a guitar shop. I needed to make sure I had the proper clothing for the weather and altitude (although Lima is 43 meters above see level, we'll hit 11,000 feet by the end). So, I'll just enjoy the sights, the food and the people.

Stay well, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: The Sunday Thread for November 5, 2023

It’s been a week here. Ended up getting a new to me vehicle (2019 F150 4wd). Already put it use hauling some furniture for donation. Had a couple bass gigs and off to play a couple guitar gigs.
    Mark

Revamped a song I've been working on for months. Really cool tune, especially now that the 3rd tuning DADGAD has made a huge difference in the way it sounds and flows. Really happy with it.
    Preparing a bunch of amps, effects and guitar stuff for an upcoming music gear sale. Been accumulating gear for this over the past year.
    Weather is looking good for more bicycle riding this week too!
    Last edited by Tele-Bob; 11-05-2023 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Good morning all! Friday was studio day - started working on a new tune... well, new to recording - I wrote it back in the early 70's and finally got around to getting on tape (so to speak). We just need to add harmonies and the lead guitar part and I think we'll be there. Yesterday was pretty fun. We started out taking the clones we've been rooting and getting them in pots of dirt. It only took a week to get amazing root sytems. Now we've got enough plants in the pipeline to keep Ann going for another year. Then I put the Mustang's summer tires in the basement, buttoned up the deck for the season. Today I need to do the lawn again - leaves all over it. Then I need to work on the guitar solo for the new song.

This week starts up ramping up for our annual convention which is in two weeks. I need to finish the workshop presentation I'm doing there this week. The convention will be my 39th. I've only missed one in 40 years (that was because of a free trip to Hawaii. That took presidence!). For staff it's a lot of work, but it's also a LOT of fun. I've made a lot of great friends over the years and I get to see a bunch of them at the conference.

Have a great trip OS!!! It sounds like a bucket list trip, for sure!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Chill morning here. Had my second to last 20+ mile run for an upcoming Marathon yesterday so a bit stiff but feel good otherwise. Have a play date for my 5yo later and some guitar practice on the menu for today. Spent some time yesterday watching football and working on fingering exercises and scales. Found out recently the C major and D Dorian scales have the same notes. Starting to actually be able to find the notes on the fretboard for a change.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

I thought I got up at 4:00 this morning and then realized I forgot to turn the clock back...bummer.

My wife and I spent three days this week raking leaves and trimming bushes and trees in the yard so I'm a little stiff today. That's probably why I woke up early this morning. The three red maples have only shed about 1/4 of their foliage to I'll be out there with a rake again before long.

Hope all have a great week!

as much as I rant about hating Standard Daylight Time, it actually came at a convenient juncture for me. I have an obscenely early (by my standards) appointment on Tuesday. I've been going to bed earlier (again, by my standards) and rising earlier the last couple of days. Today was an hour earlier without any effort on my part. I kind of want to keep it going but we'll see.

Slacking on the gear sale prep. Been bingeing Hulu now that I've canceled it and Wednesday is the last day. I've also canceled a couple other subscription things. Can't quite bring myself to cancel the gym membership, not until I see the next doctor appointment, if it's still months before I can extend to full motion then I chance being able to get another cheap rate.

So far, liking the wireless. The convenience of no cables (plus I've rediscovered one of my battery powered amps) has a great deal of potential for extended guitar playing anywhere. Provided it's warm
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I have a million chores on my list. Gotta stretch first because my arf-ritis is nipping at every joint. I'll get there.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I just finished picking up leaves, bagging them, and putting them on the curb.

It's about 60F out there! I think I'm going to drop the top and go for a spin!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Then I need to work on the guitar solo for the new song.
    Does this mean you're playing it yourself? Wow! I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Does this mean you're playing it yourself? Wow! I hope so!
    Yessir! That's the plan!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Played an out-of-towner last night. Great crowd and lots of fun.

Today I took the Mrs. to a cannabis farmer's market. She bought enough cookies to wipe out half of a Dead show audience lol! Finished the trip with taking her to The Cottage, even saw a guitar there autographed by a couple of TFF forumites.

Lot's of requests coming in for band bookings. We need to raise our fees I guess. We do occasionally work with a fairly well known booking agent but most of the stuff we book ourselves and keep all the do-re-me. We have a sound person on staff who is outstanding so that really helps.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

Lot's of requests coming in for band bookings. We need to raise our fees I guess. We do occasionally work with a fairly well known booking agent but most of the stuff we book ourselves and keep all the do-re-me. We have a sound person on staff who is outstanding so that really helps.

Chuck
    A great way to look at any business. Raise rates once organic engagements rise above 80-85%.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Yessir! That's the plan!
    Nick, I am genuinely thrilled to read this. Of course, Paul will help to pull it out of you when you get there. Anyone who can pull "in tune" 3 part harmony out of me, is a true Master!

I'm so glad you guys are getting along so well, and that a life-long ambition is finally seeing the light of day!

If you want any input with it, I'm pretty good at coming up with guitar melodies, but I'm sure you'll figure something out. You want it bad enough! Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Nick, I am genuinely thrilled to read this. Of course, Paul will help to pull it out of you when you get there. Anyone who can pull "in tune" 3 part harmony out of me, is a true Master!

I'm so glad you guys are getting along so well, and that a life-long ambition is finally seeing the light of day!

If you want any input with it, I'm pretty good at coming up with guitar melodies, but I'm sure you'll figure something out. You want it bad enough! Good for you!
    Bob, If one of my songs ever wins a grammy , you'll be at the top of the list of people I'll thank!!!