Thread: New Wheels!

New Wheels!

The wife and I finally decided her 15 year-old Subaru Forster was due to be replaced. Sitting in the garage today is a 2024 Outback... Subarus certainly have changed in the last decade or two. This is really a nice car!!!!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: New Wheels!

A car like that deserves a song like this......

Rawk on!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

That's a sweet new ride! My sister loves her new Subaru Forester Touring. Subarus are a fine choice with the all-wheel drive as standard equipment and the interiors are very comfortable. Congrats on that one!
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

My mom bought a Subaru Outback a couple years ago. I hate the fucking thing.
    It has a giant touch display in the dashboard that requires touch displays just to turn on a fan, change temperature, choose heat, vent or AC, and a myriad of other distractions that pretty much guarantee she will drive this car off the side of the road while trying to do something simple, like lowering the fan speed.
    It also shouts off the engine at stop lights and does a host of other stupid things that make me crazy when I have to drive it.
    Hate it.

It seems to be a solid, dependable care, but the control layout leaves a lot to be desired.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    It has a giant touch display in the dashboard that requires touch displays just to turn on a fan, change temperature, choose heat, vent or AC, and a myriad of other distractions that pretty much guarantee she will drive this car off the side of the road while trying to do something simple, like lowering the fan speed.
    It also shouts off the engine at stop lights and does a host of other stupid things that make me crazy when I have to drive it.
    Hate it.

It seems to be a solid, dependable care, but the control layout leaves a lot to be desired.
    I don't like touch displays in cars. They require much more concentration to use than hard buttons. I stream radio in my Impreza and I've had to learn to open my radio app and select recents before driving so I can change the channel with one touch and no scrolling (WTF?!?!).

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    The wife and I finally decided her 15 year-old Subaru Forster was due to be replaced. Sitting in the garage today is a 2024 Outback... Subarus certainly have changed in the last decade or two. This is really a nice car!!!!

I have a 2019 base model Impreza with a manual 5-speed that I bought new. I only bought it because I wanted a new car with a usable hatch and a manual transmission. I love it! Very rugged, comfy, super stable in wet conditions. Sadly, there's no manual transmission available in the Impreza in 2024 (fortunately, my car is only four years old and owes me another 11 years).

Here's a tip, when the time comes, buy Subaru OEM replacement windshield wiper blades when the time comes. They cost way less than the crap available at the auto parts store and last way longer!

When I bought new wheels for Mrs. OSA I was concerned, like TeleBob is for his mom, that the technology would be too distracting for her. So, I got her a car with voice commands for everything. Unfortunately, she doesn't understand that the car is not me, so she is constantly yelling at it while she's driving it.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I like the color! We have two Cadillacs, a Corvette and a Harley that are all one form or another of a metallic red. My friends refer to it as my “fleet color”.

There wasn't much inventory in the dealerships we visited The red was one color Mrs. Junkie chose and this one had been delivered the day before. Frankly, I love the digital stuff, and once it's programmed it seems pretty simple - at least for me.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

There wasn't much inventory in the dealerships we visited The red was one color Mrs. Junkie chose and this one had been delivered the day before. Frankly, I love the digital stuff, and once it's programmed it seems pretty simple - at least for me.
    I just leased a Mazda CX5 with analog controls! I went for a lower options package so I would have round knobs to control the climate in the care, as well as a master knob for scrolling through all the nonsense that comes up on the little dash mounted monitor. I'm amazed Subaru hasn't faced a major class action suit over their big gawky touch screen. So distracting. My mom practically crashes the car every time she has to adjust the fan speed! But I do understand the appeal to those who like gadgets.

Great color!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

First congrats on the new Subi. They can be great cars. I sat in one back in 2000 when I was looking at a WRX STI... the $600 a month insurance premium kept me away from it LOL. I have several friends that own them and have great luck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Hate it.

Not to thread jack or anything, but if you really dislike the Auto stop/start feature you can disable it. We have had many customers ask to disable the Auto stop/start feature and we always refer them to Autostop Eliminator. It is a good product, and we as a dealership have never had complaints about them. Takes about 10 minutes to install... Well on a Ford anyways.