Thread: New tunes - fresh from the studio

New tunes - fresh from the studio

My musical journey has been, historically, short periods of creativity with decades of time wasted. I wrote my first tune in High School but never performed it.

In college I had the great opportunity to work with a classmate named Skip Spady (an incredible guitarist and friend) in a band (duo) called Tiers. After college there was a dry spell until the church folk group in the early 90’s. I wrote a few songs then, but nothing much came of that.

After that nothing happened until I joined this forum in the late 90’s. I had the great luck to meet some great people, particularly Tele-Bob, who got me out of my comfort zone and playing in jams around the area – always encouraging me to get some of my songs recorded. He introduced me to Charlie Karp who, before his untimely death a few years ago, helped me turn songs in my head into something tangible. It’s pretty amazing to hear a song for the first time and to say, “I wrote that!”

My wife has always been there to support me (and sometimes push me). – without her I wouldn’t be where I am today (or have a pretty nice collection of guitars).After Charlie passed I stagnated again until Bob introduced me to Paul Opalach, from Long Hill Recording who has restarted my journey. Paul is amazing, not just as a collaborator, but as a teacher. We’ve had a huge burst of effort resulting in some new songs that I’m really happy with. Recently, through a work project, I met a singer named Ashley Lupinacci, who I talked into singing on our recordings and that has proven to be a blessing.

Here are two songs we finished up yesterday. They are a bit "Pop" sounding ,but I think they came out pretty good. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user.../13-go...ee-you-tonight

https://soundcloud.com/user-785746906/14-crazy-for-you

The third song is a bit different, written back to the 70's... I was going for the '70's live rock vibe.

Here is my homage to a great city and an inspiration to me... it still needs some work, but it's pretty darn good the way it is. http://https://soundcloud.com/user-785746906/hartford

We've got a bunch more songs we're working on - LIFE IS GOOD!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: New tunes - fresh from the studio

You need to put a demo together and start shopping it around to agents. That material is smokin'!

Thanks for posting.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

So glad this is all working out for you Nick.

Will the LP be available on vinyl? Good sounds!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Very good! Why don’t you release your songs through a distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Very good! Why don’t you release your songs through a distributor?
    I was waiting to complete the songs that are in-process, plus I haven't thought of these songs as having any value beyond the satisfaction of doing them.... I should! - it would be wonderful to have an artist ask to perform one of my tunes...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

You don't need an agent for that, put copyrights on them. That's how we do it nowadays.

Post it free with a copyright. That way your tune gets the exposure. If it gets picked up you can negotiate.

Agents handle live performances, lawyers handle copyrights.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Nowadays it’s even simpler than that, no agent, no lawyer needed. Just sing in with a copyright association and a digital distributor like Onerpm, Orchard, CDbaby (they work kind of like the record labels did back in the day), and your music will be all around the world, you’ll be heard and get paid.

I have filed copyrights on every song I have performed I've written since 1974. Cheap insurance, and easy as pie with online application!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I have filed copyrights on every song I have performed I've written since 1974. Cheap insurance, and easy as pie with online application!
    Then release them! It’s a wonderful feeling to watch a song being broadcast worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Then release them! It’s a wonderful feeling to watch a song being broadcast worldwide.
    They are on Soundcloud - it's a start. We're still polishing up some of them, and I'd rather get them in better shape before we go to the next step... plus I'm not sure where to go from here...