I use a couple of library apps for my reading. Linked to my library card, I can download material from the comfort of my sofa. So, when I saw a "copy" of Neil Young's Chrome Dreams available, I thought to myself, "Why not?" Released on August 11, 2023, the album is a "new"/"not new" release of songs that Young shelved for decades. Originally slated for a 1977 release, it lay dormant (although bootlegs of it have circulated for years) until now.

Neil Young was an early influence on me as I was beginning to play guitar. He and the band America flavored a lot of the songs I learned back then. Cinnamon Girl, Cowgirl In The Sand, After The Gold Rush, Heart of Gold and others formed the core of my Young-ing playing. Not every song Young produced resonated with me, but the ones I liked were easy to learn, easy to play, and recognizable by the college crowd in front of whom I performed.

Like so many other musicians I was enamored of those days, my interest waned as my tastes changed. Still, there are days when I pick up my guitar and play Cowgirl In The Sand virtually from memory. So, when I checked out my copy from the library, I felt it might be a comfortable 60 minutes or so of listening. And that's exactly what I felt. I'm less enamored with Young's guitar playing skills, but several times I noticed his lyrical talent. Young doesn't stretch any musical boundaries now (or then). But often --as is true with poets and wordsmiths-- the music is merely the vehicle to present the song.

I won't be rushing out to buy a copy (thank you public library!) but on a number of different levels, I enjoyed listening to it. When I return it, I will probably feel that I've had my fill of it, but it's an interesting historical perspective on a long and varied career.