Thread: It’s the Sunday Thread For August 13th (merged)

It’s the Sunday Thread For August 13th (merged)

It’s one of those nights where I’m awake after a couple of hours of sleep and there’s no way I’ll get back to sleeping so I’m sitting here watching reruns of the old Honeymooners TV show.

In a couple of hours my wife will be up and we’ll be on the Harley heading out for a Bloody Mary or three and breakfast with our friends. I hope everyone has a great week!

The Sunday Thread For August 13, 2023

Well, good morning/afternoon/evening everyone, and welcome to Sunday. We're at the mid-point of the month, and things are beginning to focus on the days ahead.

Schools around here will open on or about the 24th. We have baseball AND football. The days are hazy, hot and humid, but the Perseid Meteor shower arrived right on schedule. I didn't get up to watch, as our skies were pretty overcast, but I have in the past, and it's a cool way to spend some wee hours of the night.

I'll have a NGD announcement later today, but it's still in its 24-hour acclimation state, so I'll hold off on the grand debut until I can photograph it. Other than that, it's a routine Sunday for me: Some exercise, church, guitar practice, watch some baseball and take a day of rest.

Be well, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: It’s the Sunday Thread For August 13th

Looks like Laker won by 2 minutes!!! Three yards of mulch sitting in the driveway - won't spread itself. Looks like I'll be busy. Also need to spend some guitar time. I have had a hard time getting back into playing since I hurt my hand a couple years ago - but I'm finally learning to compensate for the missing fingertip and mentally better prepared for playing. I have a lot of ground to catch up on...

Last week was very interesting. I was part of a group writing the new strategic plan for educational technology for the state of Connecticut on Tuesday, and trained a governing board for a new charter school being developed in New Haven, CT on Friday. I'm not a strong supporter of charters in general, but am intrigued by their mission and think I gave them a good start. They'd like me to continue to work with them to help them get rolling.

Finally, my lawn is still nice and green - even for mid-August thanks to all the rain we've gotten this summer...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Looks like Laker won by 2 minutes!!!
    Yep. I guess I was woolgathering while Laker was posting. Well, if Cogs wants to merge or delete my post, I'm okay with that.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Chill day for me. About ready to make the traditional Sunday morning big breakfast. Head index of 115 today so probably gonna be lots of pool time and a bit of laundry. “Quiet time” for me will be working my way through my next guitar lesson and probably working more on a couple songs I’m trying to learn, Pride and Joy and Tie Your Mother Down. Taken me a bit to get halfway proficient at the Texas Shuffle but I’m making headway. Got the rhythm parts down pretty easily for Tie Your Mother Down and I’ve started making my way through the solo.

Quiet time for me is a bit different than it looks like for my kids!

It’s a rest day for me with my running, back to the grind on Monday.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Had my first outpatient PT session on Thursday. It was mostly interview, lots of questions and paperwork to fill out. There were some range of motion tests, I was walking a little differently when I left, I felt like the Thanksgiving wish bone

No Perseid meteor shower for us, far too cloudy. Sigh. It's either a wicked bright moon or the weather interferes. The one good year, no moon, cool crisp night and I slept through it. We just don't get optimal conditions here very often, like maybe once every 20 years or so.

Just one PT this week, then the next week 2x a week if insurance is approved. I have to call before I go to find out. It's looking like about 10 weeks until mid October-ish. I'm hoping guitar playing will commence well before then.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Easy Sunday in the middle of turbulent times, down here.

Let's see: quick 112 mi road trip with the wife yesterday to visit my father in law, who is in IC. Cancer and diabetes with pneumonia thrown in. Luckily, he's doing better and doctors say he'll recover. It was worth the drive, he was very happy to see us. We left the hospital, grabbed a bite and I purchased my third pair of original black Wayfarers, I love these shades and wear them out.

Woke up this morning, had my usual gallon of coffee, then finished reading a Bob Dylan bio and checked my first single's statistics on the streaming services and youtube. Last Friday night it aired on the radio for the first time, it was a wonderful sensation. Roast chicken for lunch in a couple of minutes, then shopping for groceries and practicing some acoustic blues for a recording session at the University next Tuesday. Lately I can't let go of my little Washburn parlor:

Tomorrow I'll be caring for my wife, she'll undergo a surgery and will be in the hospital for a couple of days. Damn, tough times, healthwise. Wish us luck, friends.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post

Let's see: quick 112 mi road trip with the wife yesterday to visit my father in law, who is in IC. Cancer and diabetes with pneumonia thrown in. Luckily, he's doing better and doctors say he'll recover. It was worth the drive, he was very happy to see us. We left the hospital, grabbed a bite and I purchased my third pair of original black Wayfarers, I love these shades and wear them out.

Woke up this morning, had my usual gallon of coffee, then finished reading a Bob Dylan bio and checked my first single's statistics on the streaming services and youtube. Last Friday night it aired on the radio for the first time, it was a wonderful sensation. Roast chicken for lunch in a couple of minutes, then shopping for groceries and practicing some acoustic blues for a recording session at the University next Tuesday. Lately I can't let go of my little Washburn parlor:

Tomorrow I'll be caring for my wife, she'll undergo a surgery and will be in the hospital for a couple of days. Damn, tough times, healthwise. Wish us luck, friends.
    Good luck my friend!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Good luck, Sergio. And congrats on the single. It's got a great atmospheric vibe to it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

First, blessings for you family.

Yesterday the new Spector bass made its debut. Had to also play sound tech as during run through, the keys were off. Looked up the way to address it 10 minutes before go time. Sure enough it was set to A=446

Today we did church from home, returned a book to the library and finished mowing the yard. Picked up another powered speaker last week. Need to get it upstairs with the Helix and work out 10 or so patches.
    Mark

Re: The Sunday Thread For August 13, 2023

Played a gig last night. Went well.

Unloaded the gear from the car this morning and threw my bicycle in there. Went for a 25 mile ride in the heat. Averaged 14 mph. Not bad for an old guy on a hybrid.

Lounging now. Maybe do some more work on the wind chimes later. Always something to do!

Weird. This post disappeared, so I re-posted, and then it reappeared today...
    Last edited by Tele-Bob; 08-14-2023 at 06:29 AM.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Last edited by Tele-Bob; 08-14-2023 at 06:28 AM.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Mr. Cane, I hope your sweetie’s surgery goes good for the two of you!

When you mentioned hearing your single on air it brought back a memory of driving home from a jazz festival and absent mindedly listening to the radio and tapping on the steering wheel while talking to my wife and saying, “I know this song” when it dawned on me I’m listening to a cut off of a new CD my band had just released. It really was a cool experience to recognize a tune you’ve done being played on a popular FM station.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: It’s the Sunday Thread For August 13th (merged)

Merged by the Redundancy Department of Redundancy

Re: It’s the Sunday Thread For August 13th (merged)

'Nuther outdoor show on Saturday, and two big outdoor shows next weekend. Had a brief shower Saturday and it turned into a mini woodstock. Stage was covered so no harm no fowl. I'll be happy when outdoor festival season is over. I don't have tech so string changes come down to Yours Truly and when it's hot and sweaty you can get maybe two sets out of your strings. That, and the sweat destroys nitro and plated hardware so everything gets crusty.

We may invest in some of those refrigerated fans for the stage but they take up a lot of space onstage and in the trailer. Seem to always get right there towards buying them every year and then the weather cools down and we don't pursue it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Good luck, wishing your wife and FIL a speedy recovery!
    Got them Statesboro Blues