Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Can you please help id this Body?

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Can you please help id this Body?

    Hey there,
    I wondered, if you may be able to tell if it's a true 70s Fender Body or not? It was given to me with the info that it should be a 70s Fender Body. It was heavily tinkered and sprayed with disgusting green paint. That wasn't me, I swear! ;-)

    https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ao_8olsziXgDa5ep...CXWjM?e=E8MkX6
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ao_8olsziXgDbA3m...Keu0s?e=rlJMnC
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ao_8olsziXgDbVal...25qAo?e=Wm0Ksm

    I hope these pictures are useful and now I am curious. ;-)

    Thanks in advance
    Raim&

  2. #2
    Forum Member Offshore Angler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York Finger Lakes Area
    Posts
    8,474

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Appears to be a hardtail Stratocaster
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

  3. #3
    TFF Stage Crew
    Moderator
    Cogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Burpleson AFB
    Posts
    6,998

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Looks to be an extremly boogered but authentic (ash?) Fender Strat body. I don't think anyone is going to try to fake that neck adjustment mechanism.
    The poly finish that was on there is notoriously difficult to remove. Its possible that someone stripped or sanded it unevenly. If it were mine, I'd give it a good once over w/a sanding block to make sure the surface is level.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SW New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,663

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Just curious, I've only had a few Strats, and none had the "swimming pool" for the bridge/middle pickups. Well the Squire did! Was this something they did in the 70's? (My "70's Reissue" had indivudual single coil cutouts, but a 3 screw neck.)

  5. #5
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    7,310

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    I believe that humbucker routing for the bridge pickup was done "after the fact". FMI was not yet installing humbuckers in the Strat.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Appears to be a hardtail Stratocaster
    Of course, yes.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Looks to be an extremly boogered but authentic (ash?) Fender Strat body. I don't think anyone is going to try to fake that neck adjustment mechanism.
    The poly finish that was on there is notoriously difficult to remove. Its possible that someone stripped or sanded it unevenly. If it were mine, I'd give it a good once over w/a sanding block to make sure the surface is level.
    You are right about that. ;-) That neck adjustment mechanism is not really worth copying it. But it's original and therefore perfect.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Looks to be an extremly boogered but authentic (ash?) Fender Strat body. I don't think anyone is going to try to fake that neck adjustment mechanism.
    The poly finish that was on there is notoriously difficult to remove. Its possible that someone stripped or sanded it unevenly. If it were mine, I'd give it a good once over w/a sanding block to make sure the surface is level.
    Oh, a luthier I know said probably alder body.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Just curious, I've only had a few Strats, and none had the "swimming pool" for the bridge/middle pickups. Well the Squire did! Was this something they did in the 70's? (My "70's Reissue" had indivudual single coil cutouts, but a 3 screw neck.)
    Oh, I guess that the owner before had some fun with a hammer and chisel! It was surely 3 chambered. Looks aweful though.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I believe that humbucker routing for the bridge pickup was done "after the fact". FMI was not yet installing humbuckers in the Strat.
    You're right about that.

  11. #11
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    7,310

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raim& View Post
    Oh, a luthier I know said probably alder body.
    FMI began using ash for all Strat bodies in the early '70s and continued to do so until circa 1979.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    FMI began using ash for all Strat bodies in the early '70s and continued to do so until circa 1979.
    That's a good point. I guess you're right that it might be an ash body!

  13. #13
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    7,310

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Alder doesn't feature such a dramatically-figured grain.

    How much does the body weigh?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  14. #14
    Forum Member Offshore Angler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York Finger Lakes Area
    Posts
    8,474

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Sure looks like ash to me.

    So what I see is an ash hardtail with a three bolt neck and a micro-tilt that appears to have been cobbled to take humbucker and had an ill-fitting pickguard that required the holes to move. Those are the dating clues. It looks usable.



    That said, the ash hardtails were a bit "unique" in how they sounded. I owned a beautiful blonde one that's now on display at the HOG and it never was "right" as a player. It's definitely an acquired taste. Were that mine I'd be considering routing it for a trem, provided the humbucker route isn't too deep.

    Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Alder doesn't feature such a dramatically-figured grain.How much does the body weigh?
    Oh, I guess 2.9 kg! Heavy!
    Last edited by Raim&; 08-04-2023 at 11:38 AM.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Sure looks like ash to me.

    So what I see is an ash hardtail with a three bolt neck and a micro-tilt that appears to have been cobbled to take humbucker and had an ill-fitting pickguard that required the holes to move. Those are the dating clues. It looks usable

    That said, the ash hardtails were a bit "unique" in how they sounded. I owned a beautiful blonde one that's now on display at the HOG and it never was "right" as a player. It's definitely an acquired taste. Were that mine I'd be considering routing it for a trem, provided the humbucker route isn't too deep.

    Chuck
    Well, I thought about a tremolo two, but I believe, the 'cut out' area is too deep. And I decided anyway to leave it as is.

  17. #17
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    7,310

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    The amateurish routing for the humbucker precludes an accurate restoration but it could still be rebuilt into a 'player-grade' utility guitar. Many of those projects turn out surprisingly nice.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    The amateurish routing for the humbucker precludes an accurate restoration but it could still be rebuilt into a 'player-grade' utility guitar. Many of those projects turn out surprisingly nice.
    I agree. There are some nice 'refinished' ones out there.

  19. #19
    Forum Member Tele-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    6,704

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Yup, that a 70's Strat body.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

  20. #20
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    7,310

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raim& View Post
    Oh, I guess 2.9 kg! Heavy!
    Six and a half pounds is about typical for those bodies though I've seen a few that were significantly heftier.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Yup, that a 70's Strat body.
    Great, thanks! 🙏👍🤘

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Posts
    13

    Re: Can you please help id this Body?

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Six and a half pounds is about typical for those bodies though I've seen a few that were significantly heftier.
    🙏👍🤘😉

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •