Thread: Bear on the Trail

Bear on the Trail

20 mile bicycle ride yesterday on the rail trail through Plainville and Avon CT.
    All was fine. Then a BIG BLACK BEAR lumbered across the trail... We're talking BIG.
    A group of bicycle riders paused on the trail. I kept going.
    Figured I'd have a head start if Yogi suddenly became curious...
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Bear on the Trail

......Or hungry.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

My wifes cousin and her husband have a cabin in Colorado, they are big on hiking. Several years ago while visiting John asked me what would work for bears, I told him 44 Mag. was enough for the brown bears so he bought one. I gave him some handloads that weren't really stiff, and shooting them he thought they weren't powerful enough,(260 gr bullets.) I lined up 3 gallon jugs full of water, and he shot through 3 and caused a leak on the 4th, he carries it while they are out!

True story: A few years ago my wife and I hiked up Old Rag Mountain (Shenandoah National Park). We'd gone to the peak and were on our way down when we came across a number of other hikers nervously standing around. What's up, we inquired? "Bear," came the response.

We waited a bit and saw nothing, heard nothing. My wife decided it was too much for her, so she started back down the trail. Of course, I had to go with her. A short distance later, we saw a black bear ambling somewhat parallel to the trail. 300 lbs. or so. My wife just continued down the trail.

The bear paid no attention to us. As we weren't making threatening moves (no sign of cubs anywhere), the bear was likely just foraging, and probably not hungry -- at least not for humanburgers.

Seeing my wife just continue on inspired the rest of the hikers, and we all made it to the bottom unscathed. Reckless? I don't know. From that point on, I would sometimes refer to my wife as "Mama Bear."

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Seeing my wife just continue on inspired the rest of the hikers, and we all made it to the bottom unscathed. Reckless? I don't know. From that point on, I would sometimes refer to my wife as "Mama Bear."

When running away, you don't have to be the fastest. Just don't be the slowest!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

Back in the 70's I went fishing with my boss on Willow Creek, fishing was good, and we had a stringer full of trout in just a few hours. We decided to head to camp when I noticed a bear following us, both of us were armed, but I was carrying a 38 with 2 rds of snake shot, and the rest wadcutters. My boss had a 357 so I figured he could take care of things, but he told me, "give him the fish", I reminded him he had a 357, but he said "I only got snake shot, and wadcutters, let him have the fish!" I dropped the stringer, and we left, the next day we went back, but never found the stringer! The boss did had his gun loaded with magnums though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    20 mile bicycle ride yesterday on the rail trail through Plainville and Avon CT.
    All was fine. Then a BIG BLACK BEAR lumbered across the trail... We're talking BIG.
    A group of bicycle riders paused on the trail. I kept going.
    Figured I'd have a head start if Yogi suddenly became curious...
    I don't have to outrun a bear... I jusrt have to outrun you!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I have one that shows up here once and a while. Not very big. When we fish up in the mountains we see them a lot.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim