Thread: The Father's Day Sunday Thread For June 18, 2023

The Father's Day Sunday Thread For June 18, 2023

Happy Father's Day to all who have or are fathers! It's an odd one for me, as my daughter and granddaughter are having a Mother-Daughter weekend at the summer camp my daughter attended when she was my granddaughter's age. So, I've arranged for my son-in-law, grandson and me to have a "guy's day" out. We're going to have some barbecue and man talk today. After the girls return home tonight, we'll arrange to get together tomorrow and pretend Juneteenth is Father's Day.

So, church in the morning, then off to visit the male half of my family, and that's it for my day's plans.

I hope you are all being celebrated, or celebrating. We men don't seem to get a lot of the recognition we deserve, it seems. Happy Sunday!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Father's Day Sunday Thread For June 18, 2023

It’s going to be a quiet, pleasant day here behind the cheddar curtain on the western shore of Lake Michigan. My wife and I will take a little cruise on the Harley to breakfast and follow that up with a day of taking it easy after getting all the yard work done yesterday.

Hope all have a great week!

Rained out of the annual, (since 1984) motorcycle ride this year. Riding 3 1/2 hours in heavy rain just doesn't appeal to me anymore.
    Bicycle riding today, without rain. Then inventing a new dessert. "CakeyPie." We're staying at an air bnb and found a Graham cracker pie crust in the freezer. Going to fill it with brownie mix and bake it. Top it with whipped cream and BOOM! CakiePie!
    Taking a guitar break today.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Throw some chocolate chips into the brownie goop before you bake it.

Your taste buds will thank you.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Been busy lawyering and working on the mixing of my first songs. Also completed a very interesting online course offered by the University of Rochester, “The Blues: understanding and performing an American art form”.

Easy Sunday here. Made my favorite Texas style no-beans Chili (beer and two spoons of cornmeal are vital) and after finishing some more music stuff I’ll have my usual six pack of Buds and call it a day with the Missus’ baked rigatoni al pomodoro e mozzarella.

Happy Father’s Day, everyone.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Mixed bag here. Didn’t get a job I had a final interview for on Thursday , but line up 2 more interviews for this week. Did some consulting at the local music store. Played a bass gig last night and also both services today at church. Waiting for F1 to start. Later I need to work on some legal stuff as well as respond to a job screening. Don’t really feel like it though.

I don’t know why, but this Fathers Day is bumming me. It’s the 18th one without my dad. Maybe it’s because of all the uncertainty in my life and I desire his counsel.
    Mark

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    (beer and two spoons of cornmeal are vital)
    What you really need for authentic chili is masa (finely-ground corn flour). While you're at it, try a skosh of lime juice as well, a couple of teaspoons or so.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    What you really need for authentic chili is masa (finely-ground corn flour). While you're at it, try a skosh of lime juice as well, a couple of teaspoons or so.
    Perfect, I used the term cornmeal but I meant that. We have several kinds of corn flours here just like the Mexicans.

Will try the lime juice!

Two other ingredients you might try (if you haven't already) are cinnamon and coffee.
    Striving to be ordinary

I missed the Sunday thread yesterday... Dinner Saturday night with my youngest daughter and breakfast Sunday with eldest. A great father's day - both girls had been in a bad place with each other and hadn't spoken to each other in a couple years. The best gift I could get was the two of them figuring it out and getting together and making up this weekend. The older one is in the process of buying a house - it's a foreclosure and needs a TON of work, but they are getting it cheap and can afford the rennovations. The owner was a family that's lived in the house since it was new in 1953. I went through school with a guy who grew up in the house. It hasn't seen a renovation since it was new, so the kitchen and bathroons were 1950's style. But the bones underneath are really sound and they'll get it done!

Headed for Kansas this week - annual conference of school board trainers - my first was in Kansas City in 1993... sort-of an anniversay for me!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Late to the party here. Had late show Saturday night out of town, got packed up by 1AM and decided to make a run for it rather than a sketchy hotel. That made Sunday a wash, watched some F1 and pretty much goofed off all day. Fell asleep drinking coffee, lol.

Have a couple free weekends in July, hopefully they won't book up, I'd like to get up to the 1000 islands for some smallmouth fishing.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Late to the party here. Had late show Saturday night out of town, got packed up by 1AM and decided to make a run for it rather than a sketchy hotel. That made Sunday a wash, watched some F1 and pretty much goofed off all day. Fell asleep drinking coffee, lol.

Have a couple free weekends in July, hopefully they won't book up, I'd like to get up to the 1000 islands for some smallmouth fishing.

Chuck
    Smallmouth bass are fun to catch - hope you get to go!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Got my Father's Day gift to myself:

He has a rule - if you take a picture and send it to him or want a picture with him, you need to be flipping the bird… So this book is about 11,000 pictures of people flipping him off. Some famous, most regular people.Best concept for a coffee table book I've seen.

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

That's a hoot!
    Striving to be ordinary