Thread: Fender Rumble 100 broken?

Forum Member

Fender Rumble 100 broken?

Hi, I recently bought a used Fender Rumble 100 Amp from eBay. Most of the time it's working fine, however, on three occasions, the speaker went silent. At least on two of these three occasions this happened when I was playing on rather high volume and also using effect pedals. When turning the amp off an on again the power indicator light is blinking, the speaker is still silent. After a few minutes the amp works fine again. Does anybody know how I can fix this? Cheers!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Fender Rumble 100 broken?

One of two causes comes to mind......a defective component is overheating or a marginal solder joint is intermittently breaking circuit continuity.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Does the amp stop, or the speaker? I mean, does it stop making music and have a hum, or no sound at all?

No music, but still a hum, could be your 1/4" jack. No sound-including no-hum, could be something as easy connections being loose.

Search your city with google for amp or stereo repair.

The blinking light is probably a fault code. Do you have the manual? What you describe is making me think you have a heat issue.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

My thoughts as well.
    Question to the OP, if you don’t push the amp, do you still encounter the issue?
    Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
    Does the amp stop, or the speaker? I mean, does it stop making music and have a hum, or no sound at all?
    I'd say no sound at all, but it's difficult to tell for me since I'm only using this amp in our band rehearsal space or as an extra stage monitor - so there's a lot of ambience noice going on.

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    My thoughts as well.
    Question to the OP, if you don’t push the amp, do you still encounter the issue?
    Two times this happened I had played on max volume + used a RAT pedal.
    Last time it happened the amp wasn't pushed to the max, but I had used a PreAmp on my ValetonDapper MultiEffect.

I don't have the original manual. The one I googled doesn't mention error codes.

Well that’s in determinate. As you are in a band, and you bought this used, you’re out what 200?
    In a band you need some reliable. And probably something with the week. I suggest purchasing something rather that trying to determine root issue. I know myself I have 4 bass gigs this week, I don’t have time to deal with these shenanigans.
    Mark

Well that’s in determinate. As you are in a band, and you bought this used, you’re out what 200?
    In a band you need some reliable. And probably something with the week. I suggest purchasing something rather that trying to determine root issue. I know myself I have 4 bass gigs this week, I don’t have time to deal with these shenanigans.
    +1

Find an all-original Sunn 200S ensemble, have a competent amp tech overhaul anything worn or tired, then play it without incident for the next ten or twelve years.

Forum Member

OMG! The unwarranted ego on this forum!

"I play 20 gigs a week! Buy something else instead of fixing what is broken!"

The three of you silver-haired been-nothings can have this sandbox...

I hope that you don't give advice to your kids...

Do you suggest the OP misses a gig while trying to fix an amp worth 200?
    if so, that’s words of wisdom I haven’t heard before.
    Mark

Forum Member

Many cultures think silver hair, (indicating age and experience), is a sign on knowledge!

As for advice to my kids I told them to never buy a car made in Yugoslavia, never buy a polymer-framed pistol, and never buy a modern Fender amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Many cultures think silver hair, (indicating age and experience), is a sign on knowledge!
    My long-time co-worker, who just retired last year (and is traveling the country in an RV with his wife), preferred the term "silverback."

No one messes with a silverback.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Do you suggest the OP misses a gig while trying to fix an amp worth 200?
    if so, that’s words of wisdom I haven’t heard before.
    Ever rented an amp? https://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=r...gination-count

That's Canadian prices.

If he is running a Rumble 100 for his bass... that means the venue runs PA... which means they mix... which means he could run a plethora of amps.

Op states, after my question: "I'd say no sound at all, but it's difficult to tell for me since I'm only using this amp in our band rehearsal space or as an extra stage monitor - so there's a lot of ambience noice going on."

Only using it in their rehearsal space or as an extra stage monitor... hey? Missing a gig... for an extra stage monitor in rehearsal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Yes, most cultures, do. I see it as a sign of age... MY grey hair, included.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    As for advice to my kids I told them to never buy a car made in Yugoslavia, never buy a polymer-framed pistol, and never buy a modern Fender amp.

Yugoslavia hasn't existed in over 30 years... Polymer-framed pistols are the standard now... I've carried P226s on two tours... I have no opinion on modern fender amps... other than the ones that I have and think highly of.

You are decades behind.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    My long-time co-worker, who just retired last year (and is traveling the country in an RV with his wife), preferred the term "silverback."

No one messes with a silverback.

;)

Quote Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
    You are decades behind.
    You ain't lyin' there, pilgrim. I refuse to buy microwaveable pizza, I still have to manually wind my Rolex, and the automatic transmission in my '69 Chevelle SS396 has only three forward speeds.

Just call me a Luddite.