Thread: Line out/D.I./Record out on amplifiers

Line out/D.I./Record out on amplifiers

on new ground here. Tried the line out on my DSL 201, quite presentable sound, little bit of a 60-cycle buzz (single coils), able to use amp in room at whisper level. No problem setting gain level on audio interface. Great sound on the track, very like what was in the room.

On Fender Super Amp, jack labeled "Line Out -3.0dBV". Very weak signal, cranked audio interface gain, still weak, turned up amp volume until finally get decent signal (-12dB) on audio interface/DAW = Logic Pro X. Rather loud in room, definitely not viable for late night recording. Also wicked noisy, hella nasty buzzing. What got recorded did not sound anything like what was coming out speakers

Granted, this is probably not the easiest way to get sound into the DAW. I was trying to get authentic amp tones. At this point, the Marshall appears to have the edge on the Fender. I don't know enough about the circuitry of either (or any) amp to know where and when the signal hits the line out jack. Any insight would be appreciated.

Mostly I'm trying to find ways to record guitar without using mics in a room, due to lack of room treatment and terrible (as in non-existent) sound proofing and be able to hear the amp in real time without headphones. Not yet ready to go modeling.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Line out/D.I./Record out on amplifiers

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    on new ground here. Tried the line out on my DSL 201, quite presentable sound, little bit of a 60-cycle buzz (single coils), able to use amp in room at whisper level. No problem setting gain level on audio interface. Great sound on the track, very like what was in the room.

On Fender Super Amp, jack labeled "Line Out -3.0dBV". Very weak signal, cranked audio interface gain, still weak, turned up amp volume until finally get decent signal (-12dB) on audio interface/DAW = Logic Pro X. Rather loud in room, definitely not viable for late night recording. Also wicked noisy, hella nasty buzzing. What got recorded did not sound anything like what was coming out speakers

Granted, this is probably not the easiest way to get sound into the DAW. I was trying to get authentic amp tones. At this point, the Marshall appears to have the edge on the Fender. I don't know enough about the circuitry of either (or any) amp to know where and when the signal hits the line out jack. Any insight would be appreciated.

Mostly I'm trying to find ways to record guitar without using mics in a room, due to lack of room treatment and terrible (as in non-existent) sound proofing and be able to hear the amp in real time without headphones. Not yet ready to go modeling.
    I’d say this is not the way to get ‘authentic amp tones’, as a line out would bypass both the ‘power amp’ stage, and the speakers, both critical to the ‘sound’ of the amp. While you would get some preamp sound, the inevitable noise you’re experiencing would negate the benefits.

Edit: Keeping the mic(s) close to the amp and possibly using blankets to remove the room might be something to try (I just model, but understand wanting something different).