Thread: Belated NAD - Cutthroat Audio Down Brownie!

Belated NAD - Cutthroat Audio Down Brownie!

I received this amp on Monday after a 5 day battle with FedEx. Luckily, it turned out well. I posted about it on Monday but it doesn't look like I submitted the thead.

It's a two month old second hand Cutthroat Audio Down Brownie. The seller listed it in mint condition and it was! It's got a really functional post phase inverter master volume control- it sounds good at basement practice levels. The Brown channel is a stock 6G3 brown Deluxe, the British channel is voiced like a Marshall. The British channel sounds a little thin at low volumes, but has a pull switch to put it in parallel with the Brown channel. That's a great sound!
    It has a -FB switch with brown Deluxe, tweed Deluxe, and JTM45 settings and a tube/solid state rectifier switch. I haven't experimented much with those yet. The speaker is a Weber 12A125-S. The amp weighs 30 pounds.

I took it to a loud jam last night. The other guitarist had a 100 watt Laney AOR half stack and the drummer gets a little loud and the amp was singing with the master at about 1:30 and the Brown channel with the volume and tones at 7 on the dial.

I think I'm going to enjoy this little amp!

Re: Belated NAD - Cutthroat Audio Down Brownie!

I love the simplicity of the controls
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

If you got the one that was listed on Reverb in Mass. I would say you got a pretty good deal! The amp is named after the ZZTop song.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    If you got the one that was listed on Reverb in Mass. I would say you got a pretty good deal! The amp is named after the ZZTop song.
    This one was listed on Long Island on eBay and Sweetwater Gear Exchange. I didn't see the one on Reverb in Mass. Considering this amp's condition, I'm happy with the price I paid.

The amp is touted as having an early ZZ Top sound and Billy Gibbons supposedly sometimes used a brown Deluxe in the studio, but the sound and vibe that I've found in this amp is early Jimmie Vaughan/Fabulous Thunderbirds and that's what I listened to and woodshedded the most with from the early '80s on. I still play music from their first four albums regularly and I'm loving it! That was unexpected!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    This one was listed on Long Island on eBay and Sweetwater Gear Exchange. I didn't see the one on Reverb in Mass. Considering this amp's condition, I'm happy with the price I paid.

The amp is touted as having an early ZZ Top sound and Billy Gibbons supposedly sometimes used a brown Deluxe in the studio, but the sound and vibe that I've found in this amp is early Jimmie Vaughan/Fabulous Thunderbirds and that's what I listened to and woodshedded the most with from the early '80s on. I still play music from their first four albums regularly and I'm loving it! That was unexpected!
    My mistake. The one in Mass was a 2017 model, sold 6 years ago for $1,695 in mint condition, so it must have been close to brand new at the time.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top