Thread: NAD JCM 2000 DSL 201

NAD JCM 2000 DSL 201

After acquiring my half stack, I began looking for a portable Marshall option. I had my mind set on reacquiring a DSL 401 like the one I used to have. I had one brought in to my local GC but it was a dud and I returned it on the spot. Last week, I sold my Princeton Reverb since I wasn't using it anymore after acquiring my big Fender 4x10 combo. That same day, a seller of a DSL combo lowered their price by 100 dollars and I messaged them to set up a meet.

I went I saw I heard and I bought. Brought it home and introduced it to my Les Paul. They instantly bonded. I went to take a picture to post it and realized it was a 201. I had no idea that they sounded this good, believing the higher wattage 401 to be inherently superior sonically. The other thing was it was notably easy to move around. Turns out there is almost 11 pounds difference between the two (39 vs 50). Weight of a 50 watt speaker vs the 100 watt speaker in the 401, and the iron of the transformers undoubtedly different as well.

So you can only plug in one speaker at a time, with a fixed 16 ohm jack, big deal. How often am I going to lug an extension cabinet when I wanted portability in the first place?

What surprises me is how good it sounds at low volume, we're talking about just being able to hear it over the plinking of the strings. Superlative bed room volume and tone. There won't be an 8" or 10" speaker that can do what this 12" can do. And when you want to get the attention of your neighbors, it'll get the cops knocking on your door trying to get you to stop.

"Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: NAD JCM 2000 DSL 201

I've had a few DSL401s and a DSL201 and was surprised at how different they sounded! Besides lacking a few features, the 201 had a nicer brighter, chimy-er clean sound. Great find!

Re: NAD JCM 2000 DSL 201

I got to play one live last year when I was asked to sit in for a set. Definitely an acquired taste, but if that's what you dig, dig it!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim