Thread: 78 amstd tele neck ?s

78 amstd tele neck ?s

I want to replace my neck. According to what I've read here, it seems fatter necks are more comfy. I heard Trower say once that he believes the more wood, the better the tone. I've read some good comms on V profiles, especially V-to-C.

1. Will all Am. Tele necks fit my '78 (as far as dimensions)? I'm hoping for just a simple DIY bolt-on project.
    2. I'm thinking jumbo frets, yes?
    3. I don't like the glossy PU finish on the fretboard. It's flaking off. What would be a better finish?
    4. Radius: Is 12 wider than 9.5, or less arch? Which is more comfy? Which has better tone?

According to SW, Fender can't tell me what my neck profile is based on the S/N. I'm ok with my current neck profile, but if I replace it, I assume I could get something I might like better. All recommendations/info appreciated.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: 78 amstd tele neck ?s

Pretty sure any USA Tele neck will fit your '78

TFF Stage Crew

I get most of my necks from Allparts & then shoot lacquer on them, but I've always wanted to try one of these necks. They're made in Mexico, but so what
    https://reverb.com/p/fender-099-0802...r-neck-21-fret

Thanks Cogs. So, do you like the U profile? Just eye-balling mine, it looks like a C profile. I'm ok with it, but U might be better.

TFF Stage Crew

The bigger the better, imo. The U is going to be deeper than the C shape. I prefer baseball bat type necks because they seem to keep my hand & wrist from fatigue

Forum Member

That's a LOT of questions in a short time...

First, I would go to a guitar store and try different guitars, based solely on neck profile, regardless of manufacturer. Radius is not indicative of neck width. Compound radius necks only change width as you go up the board. Make a list on a piece of paper and take notes on different instruments.

Noodle around on a bunch of guitars and don't even plug them in. Assess which neck you like best, and do the same with the frets. Note the instrument, and then look up the details on the instrument's characteristics that you like.

Talk to the luthier at the store. If the store doesn't have a luthier, go to one that has one. I will submit, though, that if you are getting pro advice at a particular spot, support local, don't be a dick.

If you truly have a '78... don't get hung up on finish of the board. Modern finishes are 1000 times better than in '78. The iconic players from the 60s and 70s were playing worn finishes because the finishes were junk.

"Jumbo" frets is a generic marketing-wank term. Frets have a height-width-profile. According to Dunlop, they have 9 "jumbo" fret sizes.

As far as interchangeability of tele necks, I cannot answer that.

That sounds like some good, sound advice. I have been researching neck dimensions (profile, radius, & nut width). Understanding it better. Even looking at my hand positions on guitars I already have. Looks like all of mine are C profiles. I only have 1 that I consider difficult to play. My hands are fairly big... and old, so I'm looking for more comfort. I plan to go to the guitar shop & try a few, talk to the luthier, take notes, and do more research. I'm leaning toward a wider nut, and a flatter radius. I've never paid attention to neck dimensions, always just played around with whatever I had to work with. But, I'm thinking about replacing necks on 3 of my Fender guitars, They are all worn, and since now I know I have options, I could potentially have 3 new guitars for a fraction of the cost of new ones.

I've been playing Teles for a loooong time and for me, the biggest differentiator in sound is whether it's a slab neck or not. You need to decide which neck construction you prefer. I'm like Cogs, the bigger the better too. I also prefer a 9.5" radius fretboard.

So my personal preference is Alder body, solid neck, large C shape profile with a 9.5" radius with Stew Mack 0149 frets and Duncan Antiquities. Which incidentally, is how my #1 Tele is configured.

The problem with re-necking a guitar is that when you're finished it's no longer the guitar you liked!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

What is a slab neck? 1 pc, as in not skunk striped? Which do you prefer & why?
    I bought this guitar from a pawn shop a hundred years ago. It had some finish damage on the neck when I bought it. It never occurred to me that you would replace a neck unless it was broken. I just worked with what I had. Now the frets are all boogered up and it occurs to me that I could maybe replace the neck for what it would cost to refret. And I could spec the neck out to my preference, only I don't really have a preference, yet. It may be that I have my current neck refretted.
    I'm gonna go check out some different necks and try to see what clicks for me. I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from some of you guys who do have preferences, as I'm just now starting to pay attention to profiles, radii, width, frets, etc... So, thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by musicallydeclined View Post
    What is a slab neck? 1 pc, as in not skunk striped? Which do you prefer & why?
    I bought this guitar from a pawn shop a hundred years ago. It had some finish damage on the neck when I bought it. It never occurred to me that you would replace a neck unless it was broken. I just worked with what I had. Now the frets are all boogered up and it occurs to me that I could maybe replace the neck for what it would cost to refret. And I could spec the neck out to my preference, only I don't really have a preference, yet. It may be that I have my current neck refretted.
    I'm gonna go check out some different necks and try to see what clicks for me. I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from some of you guys who do have preferences, as I'm just now starting to pay attention to profiles, radii, width, frets, etc... So, thanks for the input.

Well, fret wires cost about $15.

First, boogering up a 70's Tele is not exactly a wise move. A well done refret is OK. If i were you I would buy a neck profile gage and radius gage and see what you have. Then you can shop for a neck, and if you replace it save the original in as-is condition. As far as the neck construction you can Google that and there's a wealth of info out there.

Are the frets not working? Frets can look really, really bad before they aren't functional anymore. Most refrets are more for cosmetics than the actual playability of the instrument. Generally, an inexpensive level and recrown will make them as good (or better) than new. I'd try that first.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I don't have the equipment or know-how to tackle refretting myself. I would take it to a luthier for that. So, I expect that cost will be more significant. The frets still work, but some of them have some pretty deep grooves. and the original finish needs to be smoothed or removed/replaced completely. I could probably handle bolting on a new neck and setting it up myself. So, I'm trying to weight the cost/benefits between refretting or new neck. I would save the original neck as-is. I'm not after aesthetics. I prefer the worn look, and I value the guitar in its original state. But, if it's not a big deal the swap necks, I could always swap it back, if needed, and get new frets & finish too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by musicallydeclined View Post
    I don't have the equipment or know-how to tackle refretting myself. I would take it to a luthier for that. So, I expect that cost will be more significant. The frets still work, but some of them have some pretty deep grooves. and the original finish needs to be smoothed or removed/replaced completely. I could probably handle bolting on a new neck and setting it up myself. So, I'm trying to weight the cost/benefits between refretting or new neck. I would save the original neck as-is. I'm not after aesthetics. I prefer the worn look, and I value the guitar in its original state. But, if it's not a big deal the swap necks, I could always swap it back, if needed, and get new frets & finish too.
    After reviewing everything you have said in the thread, it sounds like you just need to sit down with a luthier. He can tell you if you simply need a fret "dress," refret, or simply a little TLC on the neck.

Find an independent, TRAINED luthier.

He can help you decide what to do.

TFF Stage Crew

I second that. If you buy a NEW neck, chances are you are going to need the slots for the strings filed in the nut. You'll also need the truss rod adjusted, & the frets might even need to be leveled & dressed.
    If you buy a "fresh" neck (one from an existing guitar that is being parted out) most of those issues are already dealt with.