Thread: Any bicycle riders out there?

Any bicycle riders out there?

I used to be an avid cyclist 25 years ago to the extent that I'd carry one of my bikes around the country with me while traveling for work.
    Recently I have rediscovered the joy of riding a bicycle and trying to keep up a regimen of 50 miles per week. The goal is to do 1000 miles over the summer.

Right after the Lou's Cottage Inn Jam, my girl and I are taking in the sights for 4 days and riding 100 miles of the Eerie Canal Trail. Big fun!

The sheer joy of weaving around on a bicycle just never seems to get old and I'm lovin' every minute of it!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Re: Any bicycle riders out there?

I had my early’70s Schwinn Super Sport restored around ten years ago and rode it religiously that summer. Since then the Super Sport has been sitting in the basement with a pair of flat tires and May rest there until my demise.

I used to love to ride a bike, had (still have the pieces of it) a Trek Antelope that I rode almost daily. We have an awesome park in the middle of the city, over 300 acres of recreational land. Circa '95, i had two really bad wipe outs, the effects from which still bother me to this day.

I've gotten so that I can't ride anymore. Something changed down there and bike seats crush the twig and berries to the point that riding even 100 yards is wicked uncomfortable. Neoprene shorts help but there's no way I'd wear one without washing it after being used. At something like 80 dollars (in 1990's money) a piece, I'm only going to have one pair.

I just want to be able to throw my leg over the saddle in regular street clothes and ride to the store, downtown or just a leisurely cruise around the park. I don't do any extreme stuff ever, I don't even break a sweat 95% of the time. But I can't take that chafing.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I have a Trek 7.2 FX hybrid that's sitting right in front of me. I've been more of a runner than a biker, but there have been times I get out. I live 1/4 mile from a trail that's an old railroad towpath, and on occasion I'll pump up the tires and get in a few miles. Since my back, hip and knee have been acting up, I've been thinking the bike would be better exercise. I have an appointment tomorrow with a chiropractor, so maybe after I get a long-needed adjustment, I'll consider whether the bike is the better choice. I think it needs brakes, though.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Brakes are not overrated. Just have to be careful that first ride after a fresh new set of pads and proper cable adjustment, when you squeeze that you don't go over the handlebars.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I have a bike... an old Fuji Newest 3.0. Have not used it in years.
    I got into this Orangetheory thing instead...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I am. Or at least, I used to be a lot more.
    I haven't ridden much the past couple years - I'm more into running these days.
    But I used to ride a lot. I raced for a couple years in school, then was on the charity century circuit for a while.
    I was at the point of heading out for 50 miles on a weekend day, or 30-ish after work was no big deal.
    Still have my bikes, though they're a bit older now - a Lemond about 15 years old, an even older Cannondale, (about 25 years old) an ancient Fuji (like 40+years old at this point) plus a Specialized mountain bike.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

In my prime I owned 3 Cannondales. A KV700 Hard Tail, an R600 Road Bike, and a T800 Touring bike.

I was so into it, I had a plastic bike case that I would use to take a bicycle with me when I traveled around the country.

My weekly routine was two 40 mile rides and one 70 mile ride during the summer, nad then endless mountain biking fall, winter, spring.

Still makes me feel like a kid.

Fastest I ever went was 67 mph on a HUGE hill. It was terrifying!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.