Thread: The Sunday Thread for May 7, 2023

The Sunday Thread for May 7, 2023

America once sang, "The days are getting longer now, the nights are getting shorter now, and you know we can make it, 'cause you know we're alive." It feels that way now, as the warmer days move in, tossing the last vestiges of winter aside.

Maybe it also feels that way because I ordered and stacked over 30 bags of mulch yesterday, and prepped up much of the backyard for it to cover. Oh, my aching back. My back wasn't doing so well to begin with, so today I'll likely just let the bags sit. My daughter and son-in-law have offered to help me spread it, and I think I'll let them!

It's supposed to thunderstorm today, anyway.

So, my usual routine: church, read, watch some baseball and steel myself up for the coming week, which is a work week for me.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for May 7, 2023

You just beat me to it this morning.

Friday was studio time. Working on a tune I started writing in the 70's, but didn't complete until the early 90's (that's not totally true - I added a bridge around two years ago). It's been on my list for a while, but it is a bit complicated and important to me to get it right, so it was only this week when I felt I (and the studio and the song) was ready. The problem is the guy I'm working with is great on the music part, but this has complicated harmonies and that is going to be tough. We roughed out the song and it will be interesting to see how we get to the vocals next time.

Yesterday was a busy one - work in the morning and all afternoon on the lawn. Had to bag it and it was really high so it took forever. I will probably recut it this afternoon to smooth it out - after I replace the spark plugs. The morning workshop was a test of my facilitation skills. The plan was for four boards of education (three towns and the regional High School board), the three town Finance Boards and three selectmen boards were going to start talking about consolidating schools (always a tricky situation). Had my plans for the morning, but... no finance board or "selectpeople" showed up and only two "citizens" who will be running for Selectman in the fall election. So... had to readjust on the fly and we spent 4 hours talking about how the plans won't go forward without input of the other groups. It was like hearding cats, but we did get some important things decided. I'm beat today!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Coming off one of the worst weeks. Severe anxiety coupled with focal Dystonia. Start a new job tomorrow as a Business Analyst deploying a D365 based PLM solution from Bluetree for Nucor Steel. Good paying gig, but I’m not sure of my skills.

My dog may have Cushins disease, but that can tell yet as he is diabetic now so now giving him insulin injections.

And a relative is suing me.

I got to pull it together for a bass gig this evening.
    Mark

we finally pulled out of the cold rainy spiral. sunny and mid-70s today and 6 out of the next 10 days at 70 or above. Now I get to fight with my brother about the a/c. He's turned into quite the eskimo, anything above 71 and he's complaining about sweating to death. I think he drinks too much coffee in the morning and tequila at night and needs to lose about 15-20 pounds and stop wearing two shirts all the time. Meanwhile I can't take anything below 73 and 75 is really better for me. I've been in a lot of pain lately, I can only take so much Tylenol.

Spent 3 hours this morning trying to get the weather app and the thermostat app to talk to each other. Kept getting disconnected from the help chat. I now have the model # and mac ID memorized from entering them so often. I'm beginning to wish I had stayed with a dumb thermostat, so it and I would have more in common.

No idea what to do with the basement. Everything is all piled in one corner after the HVAC install 2 weeks ago. The wiring I need to have done is probably not going to happen this year. I can't wait a year to set my music stuff up. I can't build the wall I want with the wires in the way. It's looking like no matter what I do, I'm going to end up having to move everything yet again, twice.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Coming off one of the worst weeks. Severe anxiety coupled with focal Dystonia. Start a new job tomorrow as a Business Analyst deploying a D365 based PLM solution from Bluetree for Nucor Steel. Good paying gig, but I’m not sure of my skills.

My dog may have Cushins disease, but that can tell yet as he is diabetic now so now giving him insulin injections.

And a relative is suing me.

I got to pull it together for a bass gig this evening.
    Geezzz you can't get a break! Here's hoping things turn around soon! I get really bad anxiety attacks and they really suck.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Still getting over pnemonia. Miserable couple of weeks now.

Great re-union gig Friday night. Lots of fun. Convalescing today...
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Thank you GJ

Only upside was I got some initial work down on a consulting gig with the local mom pop music store. One of the best stores I’ve ever been to. The owner can’t afford to pay me, so I’m working for store credit.

Was detailing all the reports available in their system. One in their customer database identifies the top customers by year with comparison to previous and future year. I’m number 7 in spend. Don’t tell my wife LOL
    Mark

Birthday breakfast for me. My daughter was in town, and we had a great time as always.

Turning 61 on Friday, I realize I've been playing guitar and bass 47 years, since age 14. That's a lifetime. In ways, I feel like I'm just unlocking some things musically. Still growing. Even though I regret that I didn't get a formal university education in music and composition, I'm happy that I've had a life made richer by music and playing it.

Today, I went to our local park and took pics of flowers, plants, and trees, practicing with my Nikon, adjusting aperture and manually focussing, pulling away from using auto settings. My job requires photography and editing skills. So far, I've used my iPhone camera, and it's wonderful, but I also need what the Nikon offers. With a good eye for subjects and placement, I also need to increase my technical knowledge.

I'm writing about 15 stories a week for our local paper, getting to attend local government meetings. I sat in on the country law enforcement budget committee meeting and came out with total respect for our sheriff and the job he does.

A good week I wish to all.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

After many years here still feel like a visitor…oh well, it is what it is.
    I think I should go back on the lurker mode.

Typical weekend. Friday show, take a quick nap and then on the deck at 6AM and fish 'til noon. Go home cut the grass and then a long nap, local evening show 7 - 10 PM. Get home, quick 4 hours of sleep, back on the deck at 6AM and fish until 11 AM. Go home, nap, watch F1 and then a couple strong hits and fall asleep in the recliner.

Both mornings it was 35°F when I left the dock but warmed up mid-morning. Springtime up here is beyond beautiful. I wish everyone could see it.

Day job today and I'll try to work in 3 miles during lunch. At my age any slip in exercise and the energy starts to drop.

Band is playing a lot of shows and we're getting really tight. We book both through freelance and an agent. I hear lots of so called players bitchin' and moaning about paying agents but honestly, these are our best paying shows.

What a weird life! I play in the band and use that money for fishing tournament entry fees. Somehow I ended up with three jobs, lol!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Laker, I feel the same way. Virtual friendships such as those we find here, are passing and not so deep unless we pursue them offline as well. It used to bug me that I felt like the red headed stepchild here, but when I decided to accept that this is a casual wave, I began to enjoy being here again. At least, that’s my take on things. I like folks here for what it is, but my real friendships happen in the tangible world.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    After many years here still feel like a visitor…oh well, it is what it is.
    I think I should go back on the lurker mode.
    I always think of you as a local when I pass through
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?