Thread: Motorola HS-475 project:

TFF Stage Crew

Motorola HS-475 project:

So I got motivated to complete this project I've had sitting on a shelf gathering dust for many years. It came out of an old hi-fi & I've managed to relocate & add some features to make this a combo-style guitar amp: I put an ON/OFF switch on the back, moved the input jack (formerly the PHONO input) to the corner, & installed an IEC jack for the power, & relocated the speaker output jack to the front of the chassis. I also added some fancy red pre-amp tube shields.
    Next up, I am replacing the can capacitor (& a couple of resistors that are attached). After that, I am going to replace the filter caps.
    Here are a few pics of the unit. Since I can't really read a schematic very well I am just going to try & identify the filter caps & replace them one at a time. I'm guessing that they are the white cigarette butt looking things in the last picture. If anyone has any tips or advice, I'm open to hear it.
    BACK:

FRONT:

GUTS:

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Motorola HS-475 project:

Those white axials seem to be cathode-bypass caps.

The cap can is the filter array.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

You're saving me money already
    Lol
    I'm just waiting for my fancy solder sucker to get here & then its showtime

TFF Stage Crew

I replaced the can. It sounds so much better but not perfect. It hisses a little, & there's the occasional thunderstorm/frying bacon going on. Sounds like carbon crackling, lol
    But it's pretty punchy, & would make a great harmonica amp if you put a little slapback on it. I'm going to have some fun & make a 1x12" cab for it