Thread: I’m officially (though not for good) done with cover bands

I’m officially (though not for good) done with cover bands

Self explanatory title.

Been playing cover gigs live for the last 10 years or so, and now that I started recording my own original songs it just doesn’t make sense to drive 85 miles to rehearse and play gigs just to (excuse the Brazilian phrase that I took the liberty to put in English) “jerk other guys’s dicks”.

Not that I dislike playing my own heroes’ songs, but the effort of being in cover bands just doesn’t make sense anymore. And I’ll be more musically active than ever from now on.

Of course, I’ll still jam and have fun playing hits (including TFF jams, I hope), but I’m done with trying to chase my own tail with cover acts.

Re: I’m officially (though not for good) done with cover bands

my friend and customer, Jeff, who is moving to Tennessee next week... He's played only original music for as long as I've known him. He does pretty well at gigs.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

The last band I was in was a cover band, and I wasn’t happy about it when we quit. Maybe it was the millionth time I played Gimme Three Steps or the 15 minute versions of Tennessee Whisky and Can’t You See. Maybe it was the set list of only songs using pentatonics. Mostly it was because I’m just not into what’s played on classic rock stations now. I mean, I love listening to tracks not worn out—still like Skynyrd’s stuff that hasn’t been over played. I love Kansas, but if I never hear Dust in the Wind again, I won’t be sad.

So I’m glad you’re doing your own stuff for a change. There’s nothing wrong with playing covers, but there’s nothing wrong with not playing covers. You might find you will play originals to a less instantly-into-it-audience. However, you’ll find your way if you persist. And you’ll learn how to perform differently.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I love the challenge of playing covers. It's easy to do bad and really hard to do well. Nailing the sounds and feel of each song makes each one feel like a different band. Of course, to do it well you need to have a really good bunch of musicians in the band. It pays well, it connects with audiences and it's fun to see the folks get up and dance.

I have some originals that are decent songs, but a great song is always a great song, and there are so many out there to play. We have about 300 songs in our repertoire so we never play the same show twice. I guess if I was in a band that played the same 30 every night it would be less fun. But like I said, a great song is a great song and I enjoy hearing it as much as playing it. Plus, I always enjoy that moment when the audience seizes on the opening riff oof a song they instantly recognize but may not have heard in a while. Say something like Badfinger or The Heartbreakers who's songs have such distinctive guitar hooks.

Like a very famous guitar player/singer once told me, "All bands are cover bands, we just cover my songs, that's all."

That's the price of being a successful musician, you have to play the same songs over and over. And that's how you get good at them. I like writing an recording, but it's different than playing live. It's a creation process. I always look at writing and recording like building a model car. You put your heart and soul into it and then when it's done you put it on a shelf and watch it get dusty. Playing live is interactive and dynamic and you're on the high wire without a net. Love it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I love the challenge of playing covers. It's easy to do bad and really hard to do well. Nailing the sounds and feel of each song makes each one feel like a different band. Of course, to do it well you need to have a really good bunch of musicians in the band. It pays well, it connects with audiences and it's fun to see the folks get up and dance.

I have some originals that are decent songs, but a great song is always a great song, and there are so many out there to play. We have about 300 songs in our repertoire so we never play the same show twice. I guess if I was in a band that played the same 30 every night it would be less fun. But like I said, a great song is a great song and I enjoy hearing it as much as playing it. Plus, I always enjoy that moment when the audience seizes on the opening riff oof a song they instantly recognize but may not have heard in a while. Say something like Badfinger or The Heartbreakers who's songs have such distinctive guitar hooks.

Like a very famous guitar player/singer once told me, "All bands are cover bands, we just cover my songs, that's all."

That's the price of being a successful musician, you have to play the same songs over and over. And that's how you get good at them. I like writing an recording, but it's different than playing live. It's a creation process. I always look at writing and recording like building a model car. You put your heart and soul into it and then when it's done you put it on a shelf and watch it get dusty. Playing live is interactive and dynamic and you're on the high wire without a net. Love it.
    +1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I never aspired to be an 'artist'......just a guy who kept a saloon's jukebox unemployed on weekends.

But there's no universal truth. Everyone has a different motive for what they do with their guitar talents. To those endowed with those creative arts I raise my bourbon tumbler and sincerely say "go for it".
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

If playing in a cover band is a BIG EFFORT, you're doing it wrong.

I play covers because it's fun and easy, and an old guy like me is readily accepted.
    The audience, when there is one, for original material is not as accepting at my age.

In a cover band, you get a song list, learn the songs, show up for a rehearsal and start gigging. It's fun.

Writing material in an original band is exhausting and plagued with drama.

If you're going to be successful at it, you need to be in charge and let people know that it is not a democracy.
    Yes, you will consider all suggestions, but ultimately it's your band and your decisions are final. If you let them know in advance what they're signing up for, it's no big deal. In fact, most players prefer that someone else be in charge. Then they just learn the material, AS RECORDED, and show up fully prepared, (just like a cover band) to play the music. This works!

Having people show up at rehearsal to start learning songs is the kiss of death for any band. And it will take forever to get out there playing as a band.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

A normal progression. As with life, music is ebb and flow. Do t be freaked out when some time/years from now you do covers again.

it’s part of the growth process.
    Mark

It's not that I won't play covers ever again, no. It's fun indeed.

It's just that creating and producing songs is what I'm into right now.

I'll have to backtrack a bit. I wouldn't say no to playing in a cover band that plays great tunes but doesn't play stuff that is beaten to death on the radio. That might defeat the purpose since people like hearing the hits. I'd play in a cover band that plays known songs not often covered. My cousin's husband in Nashville plays keys and sings in a Steely Dan cover band and used to also be in a Chicago cover band. That stuff is a challenge. I'm not kidding about the 15 minute versions of Tennessee Whiskey or Can't You See. Just can't bare those songs and others like them.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'll have to backtrack a bit. I wouldn't say no to playing in a cover band that plays great tunes but doesn't play stuff that is beaten to death on the radio. That might defeat the purpose since people like hearing the hits. I'd play in a cover band that plays known songs not often covered. My cousin's husband in Nashville plays keys and sings in a Steely Dan cover band and used to also be in a Chicago cover band. That stuff is a challenge. I'm not kidding about the 15 minute versions of Tennessee Whiskey or Can't You See. Just can't bare those songs and others like them.

I played in a Steely Dan tribute band and - the experience sucked. Audiences were sparse and terrible. Mostly middle-aged jazz guitar wannabees or "musicologists" examining your every move on the fretboard. It's a restrictive style and hey, I'd love to stretch on Kid Charlemagne but you are duty bound to play the Carlton solo. Then during the break every listener had to come over and try to impress you with something like "I noticed you went for a b9b11 over the 2-5-1 turn, interesting."

I think a lot of them were severely disappointed because my guitars have headstocks and no fanned frets.

I did, however; learn a lot about wearing socks with sandals, proper beard grooming, zinfandels and man-buns so it wasn't a total loss.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I played in a Steely Dan tribute band and - the experience sucked. Audiences were sparse and terrible. Mostly middle-aged jazz guitar wannabees or "musicologists" examining your every move on the fretboard. It's a restrictive style and hey, I'd love to stretch on Kid Charlemagne but you are duty bound to play the Carlton solo. Then during the break every listener had to come over and try to impress you with something like "I noticed you went for a b9b11 over the 2-5-1 turn, interesting."

I think a lot of them were severely disappointed because my guitars have headstocks and no fanned frets.

I did, however; learn a lot about wearing socks with sandals, proper beard grooming, zinfandels and man-buns so it wasn't a total loss.

Chuck

Speaking of which, one of the things I dislike about cover or tribute bands is that the audience will often come with that bullshit. With Blue Maverick we covered lots of Rolling Stones songs, and I got the “hey, Keith usually plays that solo using the fourth pentatonic box, not the first”. And in one of the practice sessions with the Doors tribute band, one of the guys who were around watching us obligatorily said “where’s the SG, man?” (Cause I was using my Rickenbacker). Ugh…

One of the things that made me admire John Mayer even more was that he played with Dead and Company (which is essentially a GD tribute band with original members) and he didn’t try to impersonate Jerry or play exactly like him. He was John Mayer playing Dead songs. Oteil too. They played their own instruments, dressed like themselves, and played like themselves.

Chuck

Ha ha ha. They've had a lot of success with it. I guess Nashville has enough folks into that sort of thing to accommodate them. Ace studio musicians. My cousin's husband has played keys and been musical director for Carrie Underwood and Kenny Loggins among others. So the Steely Dan thing is a side project. Rather than making it a regular thing, they do a few shows of it and then bury it for a while. As a regular gig, it probably wouldn't work.

That raises another question though about whether you're wanting to play for the pleasure of the masses or you're willing to play for smaller audiences. It is fun to play when you're playing for 500 people who are digging it, even if you're playing a piece of stink like "Don't Stop Believing." If you insist on playing the whole of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" to that crowd, you deserve the silence you'll get. On the other hand, if you're okay to play for 30 Pink Floyd fans, then go for it.

As a writer I know, and for 30 years I taught, that audiences differ and you have to keep them in mind.

Sergio is our active weekend-warrior, and he'll find his audience. It might not be the same kind of audience as he played to with Blue Maverick or the Doors cover band.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Self explanatory title.

Been playing cover gigs live for the last 10 years or so, and now that I started recording my own original songs it just doesn’t make sense to drive 85 miles to rehearse and play gigs just to (excuse the Brazilian phrase that I took the liberty to put in English) “jerk other guys’s dicks”.

Not that I dislike playing my own heroes’ songs, but the effort of being in cover bands just doesn’t make sense anymore. And I’ll be more musically active than ever from now on.

Of course, I’ll still jam and have fun playing hits (including TFF jams, I hope), but I’m done with trying to chase my own tail with cover acts.
    Back in the days when I was in an organized band (10 piece with 5 horn players) we played covers of groups like TOP, Chicago, Ides of March, etc, and we established ourselves as quite capable of playing that material sounding very close to the originals. As a result, we achieved a loyal fan base that gave us the opportunity to start adding our own material into our sets. I don’t recall anyone ever coming up to one of us complaining that we didn’t play something as it was recorded. I just remember looking out in a sea of bobbing heads that moved to our groove.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Back in the days when I was in an organized band (10 piece with 5 horn players) we played covers of groups like TOP, Chicago, Ides of March, etc...
    I loved those big-band inspired acts. Others of note: Chase, Lighthouse, and Ten Wheel Drive.

However it takes a relatively large stage venue to accommodate all of the players necessary for such an immense sound.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I loved those big-band inspired acts. Others of note: Chase, Lighthouse, and Ten Wheel Drive.

However it takes a relatively large stage venue to accommodate all of the players necessary for such an immense sound.
    We played every venue you could imagine. Some stages were so small our keyboard player would leave the B3 in the truck and use a keyboard and sit on his amp. We fit our group on this stage at the Slippery Noodle in Indianapolis and this is bigger than some we played.

From the Book of Ken........Ch 17, Para 23 little letter ii

Can't find a band that does what you want, or is willing to support what you do ?
    Build your own, do as much of whatever makes you happy, and if you want to play out - enough of that crossover to make them like it too.

Somewhere, there are like minded people who share enough of what makes you happy, just remember, in the event that it isn't YOU and a backup, there has to be some compromise.

I believe it anyway.......
    currently in a little valley, but still doing enough to keep me going in the right direction.
    I hope you find your balance and fit. Its not always easy but when it happens, its a good ride!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

Not the same thing - but if you ever get to check out the Blood Brothers Shows with Albert Castiglia and Mike Zito - very well done. A lot of Allmans influence on the spirit of the show, but again - not the same thing.
    https://www.bloodbrothersband.com/
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Chuck

Now, that's the thing: I do like playing live touring, and all that. I didn't quit for good, as the title of the thread says. But creating my own songs is waaaaay more satisfying, especially considering that today your original music isn't something you will only play between sets and get yawns from a live audience unless you get a good deal with a label.

Streaming really changed the game, I already signed with a digital distributor (one of the big ones) and as soon as I release my first singles, they'll be literally allover the world (Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, whatever). I also got contacts in radio stations, one of them is already following my Instagram releases. So these little models might not hit, and I don't think they will. But they'll definitely not collect dust.

I have to play covers, man. I can rock the mc-shnitzl out of other people's music,
    but I absolutely suck at writing my own. It's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Newhouser View Post
    I have to play covers, man. I can rock the mc-shnitzl out of other people's music,
    but I absolutely suck at writing my own. It's good to know.
    Man, I can so relate. In fact, I think I have you beat. I suck at writing my own music AND suck at playing others!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!