Thread: New Tune

New Tune

I really wish I knew real violinists, but this is what I could do with my Korg. Basic tracks are my Martin HD-28V, Ric 330, and the Hofner bass.

Title of the piece: Martin von Rickenhöfner

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZwHtXoy11xLFFdhSA
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: New Tune

Needs......more......cowbell.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Needs......more......cowbell.

If only I knew a conservatory-trained cowbellist. :)
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Try adding some delay to the guitar parts.
    Also add single strum chords that sustain over the chord changes.

There is a lovely breathing quality to this track. Adding the delay and single strum sustain chords will make that breathing quality swell more and smooth out the pauses.

Very cool piece.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Try adding some delay to the guitar parts.
    Also add single strum chords that sustain over the chord changes.

There is a lovely breathing quality to this track. Adding the delay and single strum sustain chords will make that breathing quality swell more and smooth out the pauses.

Very cool piece.
    Thanks. Good advice, and I can do all that. Going to give myself a couple of days to let it rest in the back of my mind and then will get on it.

Really interesting tonality!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Being classically trained I'm a sucker for a waltz. They just have beautiful movement by their nature.

Good comments so far. I'd be more comfortable with pizzicato strings just to the nature of the hard three on this Waltz. Add lower strings like a bowed bass for the sustain. And of course, somewhere, somehow a harpsichord needs to get some spotlight. I think that may be where the Rickenbacker was subconsciously driving you (?).

I also dug the diminished arpeggio at 1:20, that's a nice ear-grabber!

Adding on to what Bob says, I wouldn't be averse to a little lightly mixed stereo delay with a ping-pong on the guitar tracks to add space and dimension. I always look at stereo delay like the spread adds left to right and the delay timing adds fore and aft, so you really get an open sound to it.

But it's your creation and you're the master of it's domain so do what makes you smile.

Nice!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Being classically trained I'm a sucker for a waltz. They just have beautiful movement by their nature.

Good comments so far. I'd be more comfortable with pizzicato strings just to the nature of the hard three on this Waltz. Add lower strings like a bowed bass for the sustain. And of course, somewhere, somehow a harpsichord needs to get some spotlight. I think that may be where the Rickenbacker was subconsciously driving you (?).

I also dug the diminished arpeggio at 1:20, that's a nice ear-grabber!

Adding on to what Bob says, I wouldn't be averse to a little lightly mixed stereo delay with a ping-pong on the guitar tracks to add space and dimension. I always look at stereo delay like the spread adds left to right and the delay timing adds fore and aft, so you really get an open sound to it.

But it's your creation and you're the master of it's domain so do what makes you smile.

Nice!
    Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions. I am going back to it and take your and Bob’s good advice to the thing.

'Nuther little secret - you can slightly pan the ping-pongs to keep good separation of the instruments.

Finally, it all comes down to the compressor and EQ on the master track. Not something I'm particularly good at but I do understand the importance of it.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim