Thread: Playing guitar at work.

Playing guitar at work.

One of the senior partners, one of my bosses, at the law firm has a really nice butterscotch Tele in his office. They tell me occasionally strums it.

I’m jealous—I want to have a guitar here too. It’s not like I wouldn’t get any work done…ok, truthfully I’d play all day. I was supposed to retire, dammit.

I don’t want to work. I just wanna bang on the Strat all day…
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Playing guitar at work.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    One of the senior partners, one of my bosses, at the law firm has a really nice butterscotch Tele in his office. They tell me occasionally strums it.

I’m jealous—I want to have a guitar here too. It’s not like I wouldn’t get any work done…ok, truthfully I’d play all day. I was supposed to retire, dammit.

I don’t want to work. I just wanna bang on the Strat all day…
    awww... you working fellows....
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama View Post
    awww... you working fellows....
    I am near retirement age but just can’t afford it yet. I like working really
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I am near retirement age but just can’t afford it yet. I like working really
    Last year I said the same thing. Now I'm counting the days (20) until I announce* my retirement. Funny how things can changed seemingly overnight. A few years ago when we actually had an office to go to, I was one of the only ones who was there every day. I bought this cheap ($99) Pignose PGG-200 Deluxe for the express purpose of practicing in my office. With a built-in amp and speaker, I felt it would do everything easily, and I could put it back in its gig bag quickly and easily. Sadly, it doesn't stay in tune, so it's pretty frustrating. Now it just sits in its bag in my guitar room.

* I plan to give them six months notice. If they don't want to take it, that's okay. I am ready to walk away today.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

OS, as I told my sister who finally retired, You’ve worked hard, and it’s ok to let it go and enjoy having time to enjoy life on your own terms and at your leisure.

I'm officially turning 70 in August, although I am actually going to turn 71. I have toyed with the idea of retiring, but I plan on starting to collect SS in September (at the max) and use that to pay down debt, so when I officially hit 72 (ish) I'll retire. My house will be paid for and hopefully most of our other debts. I am fortunate that I love the work I do. Of course the old adage "Man Plans - God Laughs" comes to mind...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

I claim to still be working, but really don't do much at the shop. I do go in most days, and I help a couple of other with driveability problems. I generally have a guitar there, and too many amps, at least one working, so someday I may be able to call myself a "guitar player".
    As for retiring, my old friend Pete worked at a machine shop after he retired from the mine, and when they sold, I cleared a corner of my shop for a mill and a lathe, where he had a place to work. He used to tell me, "William, those folks who retire, and go sit on the couch, they don't get up!" He almost made 85!

I don't intend to just "sit on the couch" after I retire. I'm starting to write code again, purely for my own benefit and interest. I'm thinking of picking up something I can do on my time, like writing reviews, or doing something like Geek Squad answering service. I like to travel, so I'll have to figure out how to continue seeing the world when my income has been cut in half.
    Striving to be ordinary

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I don't intend to just "sit on the couch" after I retire. I'm starting to write code again, purely for my own benefit and interest. I'm thinking of picking up something I can do on my time, like writing reviews, or doing something like Geek Squad answering service. I like to travel, so I'll have to figure out how to continue seeing the world when my income has been cut in half.
    How about consulting in your area of expertise. Twice the pay with half the work. Does often require some travel.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    How about consulting in your area of expertise. Twice the pay with half the work. Does often require some travel.
    I'm going to keep that arrow in my quiver, but if I want to do what I'm doing now, I wouldn't retire.
    Striving to be ordinary