Thread: Happy Birthday, Eric Clapton, CBE

Happy Birthday, Eric Clapton, CBE

Born Eric Patrick Clapton on March 30, 1945 (78 years) in Surrey England. It's impressive to note that three of the biggest names in the British guitar scene were born and raised within 20 miles of each other (Clapton, Beck, Page).

Many more to you, E.C!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Happy Birthday, Eric Clapton, CBE

He’s been such an important influence on my guitar life. At 12 years old, I was a fan and got to see him for the first time a few years later. I’d stopped playing in any serious way during my studies, but when I was nearing the end of my doctoral coursework, the video of 24 Nights set me on fire again. It and Pink Floyd’s Delicate Sound of Thunder. And it’s not only Clapton’s guitar playing. His vocals strike me in a deeply emotional way. And he has mostly been seemingly dignified, even when he was an alcoholic. His appearance in Ken Russell and The Who’s Tommy cemented my love of him. And because of his voice, I prefer his version of I Shot the Sheriff. And my favorite albums of his are Layla, 24 Nights, Pilgrim, and From the Cradle. I might have to add Lady in the Balcony once I’ve listened to it more.

On a personal note, my best friend, who is battling cancer and whom I love like a brother, he and I met 30 years and instantly bonded over Clapton and Strats. I suppose that makes Clapton one of the most important elements of my life.

Happy Birthday , Clapton.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Born Eric Patrick Clapton on March 30, 1945 (78 years) in Surrey England. It's impressive to note that three of the biggest names in the British guitar scene were born and raised within 20 miles of each other (Clapton, Beck, Page).

Many more to you, E.C!
    His cousin used to work here in Folsom at the local music store, then retired and moved to Nashville.. sort of related post....
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I may not agree with a lot of what comes out of his mouth when he talks, but AFAIC Eric Clapton is the benchmark for professionalism onstage. He never misses a note either instrumentally or vocally. And he always looks the part. He's simply one of the best that's ever been. His phrasing and fluidity may never be equaled.

Happy Birthday Eric Clapton!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim