Thread: Sunday Mar 19 thread

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Sunday Mar 19 thread

Here, I’ll start it as I have a moment.
    Did some job hunting yesterday and played a bass gig. Getting ready to head out and play bass at church today. After that it’s a toss up of NCAA and F1. Taping F1. Aston is on the front row; seems they found the right stuff this year.
    Mark

Re: Sunday Mar 19 thread

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm getting over my first cold of the year (and I normally only get one a year), so I'm staying away from others. If we learned anything from COVID it was to wash our hands and avoid spreading germs. So, I'll do the Zoom version of church and spend the day reading (I got a copy of Jack Carr's latest novel), listening to music, watching tv and playing guitar. Not necessarily in that order, and not necessarily to an equal degree.

Be well, everyone.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

It’s a beautiful Sunday morning here behind the Cheddar Curtain on the western shore of Lake Michigan and the first Sunday I can just relax and enjoy it since inheriting my parent’s home when my mother passed away a little over a year ago. I have spent every Sunday (and a couple other days a week) emptying the house out so I could finally put it on the market. On Friday I deposited the check in the bank and signed the paperwork to pass it along to a new owner. YIPPEE!

Hope all have a great week!

bright and chilly, due to get cloudy. Unlikely to be any precipitation though. Hands still sore from shoveling after the nor'easter this past week. Supposed to play at friend's house today, not sure if that's happening. I'll go but I probably won't bring a guitar. I found the perfect electric for him, for sale in his town. Single pickup slab body Hamer, P-90, like a double cut junior. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Drove bro to his girlfriend's house on Monday before the nor'easter, rain the whole way. Had my first rush hour and rain experience driving Rte 128 around Boston since losing my eye. While I wouldn't want to do that in the dark, it was doable with daylight such as it was. Bro got cleared to drive by his surgeon on Thursday, he's beyond stoked.

New kitchen sink this week, praise Jah. About freaking time. Ah, to have a garbage disposal again. Drastically reduce the smell in our waste basket. Now we just need to gut the house and rebuild it. Meh.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Well 2nd service is played today. Our church got a new sound system last week and it sounds great. The Dingwall sounded exceptionally good today. It’s quickly becoming my fav.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    bright and chilly, due to get cloudy. Unlikely to be any precipitation though. Hands still sore from shoveling after the nor'easter this past week. Supposed to play at friend's house today, not sure if that's happening. I'll go but I probably won't bring a guitar. I found the perfect electric for him, for sale in his town. Single pickup slab body Hamer, P-90, like a double cut junior. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Drove bro to his girlfriend's house on Monday before the nor'easter, rain the whole way. Had my first rush hour and rain experience driving Rte 128 around Boston since losing my eye. While I wouldn't want to do that in the dark, it was doable with daylight such as it was. Bro got cleared to drive by his surgeon on Thursday, he's beyond stoked.

New kitchen sink this week, praise Jah. About freaking time. Ah, to have a garbage disposal again. Drastically reduce the smell in our waste basket. Now we just need to gut the house and rebuild it. Meh.
    I’d be all over that Hamer!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    I’d be all over that Hamer!
    Like this one? Very cool looking!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I'm impressed I remembered the Sunday Thread on Sunday this week. I'm starting to get my muscle memory back on my guitar picking. It's taken a while to get there, but it's great - I actually am picking up my guitars to play without having to guilt myself into it. I keep my Telecaster on the wall in the family room downstairs and find myself grabbing it several times a day. I brought my little Gibson tube amp downstairs (GA-5) with a Line 6 GA10 wireless pickup setup, so I can start to get what few chops I had back.

It's finally fun again. Not that I 'm any good in a jam situation, but I want to be able to visit Chuck's Jam with something to do besides eat hot wings and laugh.

The wife is at church and I did all my chores yesterday. Had to work in the morning - spent the time talking to a board of education on how to best inititate a building renovation project. Their schools are 50-75 years old, falling apart, and half empty. They need to consolidate and renovate, but towns never like to close schools - no matter how necessary it is to do so. It was a fun morning. Then I went home and descaled my tankless hot water heater. That was pretty easy, as we have pretty good domestic water with few chemicals/minerals and we piped it up correctly when we installed it.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Dog shelter duties done. My darlin’ and I are going to Lowe’s. Got a feeling she wants to buy me a toolbox with drawers. She says it’s an early present for birthday (May) and Fathers Day. Also, we’re planting a vegetable garden this year. Looking forward to that. We’re pretty last minute but still in time.

on the music front, loving playing my Strats, each of the two is so different from the other. Amazing what a difference the Duncan Gilmours make. Those pups are loud and powerful while the Vmod iis in the AmPro are so sweet and Stratty.

Lately, when I go to bed in the evenings, I turn on my stereo Bluetooth speakers and listen to something great. A lot of nights, it’s classical, but lately I’ve been listening to a lot of Fagen/Steely Dan and Jethro Tull. My Tribits are relatively inexpensive but sound incredible. Stereo is a joy. If I still smoked left handed herbal Jazz cigarettes, I might die of eargasms.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

yes, exactly like that one.

BTW - i found out why my hands are sore, the heat in the house is broken. It was on when I got up but sometime in the past 5 hours it stopped working and is dropping steadily. Since I discovered it 45 minutes ago, it's dropped another 2 degrees.

don't think there will be any guitar or cab purchases any time soon. Oh, did I not mention the '70s checkerboard straight cab with a quad of SRO-12 speakers for a mere 4 dollars a pound. It's only 2 hours away, too.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Looks like a double-cut 1960 LP Jr.

Pretty cool!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I'm in love with the Les Paul Jr. DCs. I like symmetrical and nearly symmetrical double cuts. That Hamer is beautiful. Gibson made a few lefties a few years ago, and I could kick myself for not buying one.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I do to. I know which one I want, unfortunately a Ltd Ed Gibby. It was a black/gold dog hair finish. Black with Gold grain fill. Someday I’ll build one. Or maybe a tru-oiled Black Korina.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-cut-tv-black
    Last edited by blackonblack; 03-19-2023 at 03:44 PM.
    Mark

I do to. I know which one I want, unfortunately a Ltd Ed Gibby. It was a black/gold dog hair finish. Black with Gold grain fill. Someday I’ll build one. Or maybe a tru-oiled Black Korina.
    That would be extra beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Dog shelter duties done. My darlin’ and I are going to Lowe’s. Got a feeling she wants to buy me a toolbox with drawers. She says it’s an early present for birthday (May) and Fathers Day. Also, we’re planting a vegetable garden this year. Looking forward to that. We’re pretty last minute but still in time.

on the music front, loving playing my Strats, each of the two is so different from the other. Amazing what a difference the Duncan Gilmours make. Those pups are loud and powerful while the Vmod iis in the AmPro are so sweet and Stratty.

Lately, when I go to bed in the evenings, I turn on my stereo Bluetooth speakers and listen to something great. A lot of nights, it’s classical, but lately I’ve been listening to a lot of Fagen/Steely Dan and Jethro Tull. My Tribits are relatively inexpensive but sound incredible. Stereo is a joy. If I still smoked left handed herbal Jazz cigarettes, I might die of eargasms.
    I pop in a set of Sony Bluetooth earbuds that are sonic magic. They sound amazing. Often older albums - Tea for the Tillerman is a favorite, or anything by Graham Nash. I usually wake up sometime in the middle of the night to pop them out.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    That would be extra beautiful.
    Which one? Black with gold grain fill (I linked a page of one) or black korina tru-oiled?
    I ask as when I build that one, I’ll probably build a SG as well (ala 61 guard). Those are the 2 finishes, just need to decided which gets what.
    Mark

Which one? Black with gold grain fill (I linked a page of one) or black korina tru-oiled?
    I ask as when I build that one, I’ll probably build a SG as well (ala 61 guard). Those are the 2 finishes, just need to decided which gets what.
    Bothbut the black korina would be subtle and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I pop in a set of Sony Bluetooth earbuds that are sonic magic. They sound amazing. Often older albums - Tea for the Tillerman is a favorite, or anything by Graham Nash. I usually wake up sometime in the middle of the night to pop them out.
    coinkydinkylink, I was thinking about listening to Tea for the Tillerman tonight. That’s one of my favorite songs and albums.

I like the Hamers but never made may peace with placement of the controls. The tone is really hard to get to playing live.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim