Thread: Vintage Noiseless Telecaster Pickup Club

Forum Member

Vintage Noiseless Telecaster Pickup Club

I sit here playing my custom build tele that's assembled with a highway 1 lightweight alder body with a thin nitro finish from the early aughts, a mexican standard neck because I just love the feel of those for my hands, and these wonderful pickups that are stacked single coils which let you roll volume down for country and pop styles, or volume up for high gain stuff of any kind from AC/DC to Pantera. Just back to the fender forum, so maybe there's already some similar thread. Honestly, I've got too many guitars like many of my brothers and sisters here, but I can't imagine there's a more do it all pickup out there. Is anyone else a fanantic about these like me that just plays every style of music on them? If I had to have one guitar, these would be in it for sure.

Re: Vintage Noiseless Telecaster Pickup Club

Quote Originally Posted by cka73 View Post
    I sit here playing my custom build tele that's assembled with a highway 1 lightweight alder body with a thin nitro finish from the early aughts, a mexican standard neck because I just love the feel of those for my hands, and these wonderful pickups that are stacked single coils which let you roll volume down for country and pop styles, or volume up for high gain stuff of any kind from AC/DC to Pantera. Just back to the fender forum, so maybe there's already some similar thread. Honestly, I've got too many guitars like many of my brothers and sisters here, but I can't imagine there's a more do it all pickup out there. Is anyone else a fanantic about these like me that just plays every style of music on them? If I had to have one guitar, these would be in it for sure.

Sitting here reading this, thinking back on A LOT of work with VN's. I still have one guitar with them. I never really bonded with the inorganic feel of them. They always seem to have a bit of something there you don't expect. My biggest issue with them is how they respond dynamically. The balance seems to be dependent upon how hard you hit them. With a light touch they approach glassy but when I hit then hard the bass frequencies really take over and they get a severe scooped tone. There's times that works, other times it doesn't.

So interestingly, after gigging VNs for a couple decades or more I have the exact opposite experience to you. They do one thing nice but are the least versatile pickups I play. And that's into anything from tube amps to a Fractal.

One thing I do find to work sometimes is to up the pad on my input with them. That sort of tames the boomy bottom.

So go figure.

Like the smart man said: "Dig what you dig, dig?"

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Re: Vintage Noiseless Telecaster Pickup Club

Try Kinman. Blows most of the noiseless out of the water.