Thread: champion footswitch

Forum Member

champion footswitch

new to this forum I have a champion 100 and a 50xl I bought the 50xl used and bought a used footswitch for it. Dont have the cable for the footswitch. Fender customer service phone rep says they dont sell that cable none are currently on ebay or reverb. After doing some research I find out the cable is essentially speaker cable not shielded instrument cable at least I think but not sure. The footswitch apparently controls some kind of relay(not 100% sure) so there is no audio going thru it so I could use either type of cable. My champion 100 came with a footswitch and cable same switch and cable as the 50xl (I bought the 100 new about 6 years ago) and the cable looks like speaker cable basically because it looks like 2 wires each in a sheath and both connected together like lamp cable and one of the wires has white dash's on it. But being the cable has a molded 1/4"tip sleeve 2 conductor on each end no way to take apart and be sure. Does anyone know where I could find the fender cable or can say for sure its like speaker cable(I assume 16 gauge or possibly 14 gauge)> I used to repair consumer electronics for a living over 25 years, so i know a good part of the technicial. and no problem building a cord.

Re: champion footswitch

I have a footswitch for a Fender Princeton Chorus with a 1/4 jack, and any 2-conductor cable with 1/4 plugs on each end will work for it. Try a regular guitar cable. If all it is doing is controlling a relay, and no signal is passing through it, any cable should work.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

What Michael said, you are only changing the voltage to select/deselect effects and channel, very little current needed.

Forum Member

thanks my concern came from--I have an ampeg 60 tube head had to make a footswitch have yet to find an origional origional I was told both 1/4 inch jacks took a tpr non shielded cable that worked but there was noise then I was told it was tpr instrument cable using the shielded cables stopped the noise but this ampeg head is a vt 60 I bought used in the mid 90's but this amp is probably late 70's and probably audio goes thru the wires. So I have some speaker cable and am going to build a cable but still would like to have the original fender one.