Thread: The Sunday DST Thread for March 12, 2023

The Sunday DST Thread for March 12, 2023

I can hardly believe it. It's after 8:00am here (we moved our clocks forward to observe Daylight Savings Time) and no Sunday thread. Y'all are dropping the ball...

It's Oscar® night. Another year I'll pass, having not seen any of the movies under consideration and not likely to.

This morning I'm in Florida, returning this afternoon. I'm very happy to report that I was able to bring my very first guitar on board the flight down, relieving me of a lot of anxiety. Yesterday I dropped it off at Seven C Music in St. Petersburg where they will apply their magic to restoring this 52 year-old instrument to as near original condition as possible. They do fabulous work!

After I arrive home, my daughter and family are going to meet me for dinner out. That's a pretty big thing these days, as my grandson always seems afflicted with a flu, a bug, or some kind of allergy. That he's able to go out says the entire family is on the up and up. I'm delighted!

Hoping everyone has a great Sunday!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday DST Thread for March 12, 2023

It's another snowy Sunday here behind the Cheddar Curtain so the snowblower will get a workout tonight and again tomorrow morning. On April 1st the full coverage insurance goes back on the summer toys so this stuff has got to end.

Hope all have a great week!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Played a bass gig last night. Doing church remotely today. This afternoon it’s work on taxes and job hunt. Tonight is another bass gig.
    Mark

Learning songs. Fixing gear. Gathering tax documents.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

interesting week. got my license renewed, no problem at all. Woot. Bro's doing great in surgery recovery. We appear to be in the crosshairs of a nor'easter starting tomorrow night into Wednesday. We had canceled cable and tried to go internet only. Didn't work, we are weak craven sports fans especially my brother, who said he would pay the cable. Woot again, as I'm on fixed income and cable/internet has crossed the 2K per year mark. We're also getting a new kitchen sink, something we've needed desperately. This stupid two-bowl sink is too small to wash a regular sized frying pan and has no garbage disposal.

There was a rather shocking revelation this week involving my former SIL getting scammed. She is one of the last people I'd ever expect to be taken by a con artist. It's devastating to her, she's ruined financially. She could lose her job, which deals with secured financial information of clients. She could lose her house. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I think scammers should be executed publicly and on live television.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I've had Lifelock for over fifteen years and while I have no idea how many threats to my finances have been thwarted, with the amount in my portfolio I'm not about to risk it to grifters and cutthroats.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Last night, our local Jackson (TN) Symphony Orchestra proved to beat my expectations, and we had a wonderful evening. A young violinist, Siwoo Kim, showed me that we ought to all be humble about our guitar prowess. He was amazing and put in a perfect performance of Sibelius's Concerto for Strings. The man simply made that difficult piece work, and it was an unmitigated joy to watch him. The orchestra deserves high marks too. We sat up front close to the basses and cellos because I wanted to watch them, and that was a great lesson in arrangement for me.

Me girlie and I celebrated our 2nd anniversary by first going to antique shops, then dinner at a really nice Hibachi place, then to the symphony.

I continue to enjoy the new Strat and SG. I was sitting here today, grateful for the wonderful life I've had in spite of all my struggles. I have some chronic health issues but got good news this week after a couple of serious scares. CT scans of lungs, heart, and arteries: no cancer, no clots, nothing sinister at all. They can't figure out why I have chest pains and shortness of breath. I just have to watch what I eat and do a bit more walking. I was also worried about the bypass I had on my femoral artery last summer, but the graft is still working okay. I just need to stand up from my desk and move around at work every hour.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Another week of responding to the Sunday thread on Monday. Dropped off my tax stuff last week so that's done. Worked Saturday. A friend of mine teaches a certification course for future school superintendents and I teach his class a couple times a year. It's a lot of fun and the time flies. Yesterday I went with my daughter and her fiancee to look at houses. They are first-time home buyers at one of the worst times to be buying. Inventory low, prices high and interest rates are not great. We saw a couple by appointment, two of which they are going to follow up with an offer. One of those had the coolest, most state of the art heating systems I've ever seen. It was spectacular. One house had an open house and there were dozens of cars parked up and down the street looking at this house. I'm sure they got multiple offers well above asking price that day (they didn't like it).

The weather pukes keep telling us that a big storm is a'comin'... they said that last week and it was a bust... let's see if they are any better tonight/tomorrow. Been trying to play guitar more - it's starting to come back. After my hand injury I basically stopped playing, and it is still very uncomfortable to play, but I'm going to power through it because I miss it too much.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Same here Nick. We had to do a show sans roadies Saturday night. It was pretty hilarious watching us unloading and loading the trailer. I bought a couple pizzas for "the crew". Pretty sore yesterday!

Loving the new Headrush 2000W FRFR stage cabs! Can't believe how beefy they sound and yet how little space they take up onstage. I never had to switch over to a LP all night such was the chewy, creamy midrange I was getting from them, and the bottom end is loud and tight! Getting that full bass response with no flab at a good volume is so much fun. Clean cut for days too.

Snow on the way. Mid March and we're still cold and dark here. I may have to sneak out to the Keys and do a little fishing next week.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Same here Nick. We had to do a show sans roadies Saturday night. It was pretty hilarious watching us unloading and loading the trailer. I bought a couple pizzas for "the crew". Pretty sore yesterday!

Snow on the way. Mid March and we're still cold and dark here. I may have to sneak out to the Keys and do a little fishing next week.

Chuck
    Back in the mid ‘70s our keyboard player used Baldwin electric piano and that thing was a tank to haul around as it had a soundboard and strings. We carried a tuning hammer to knock it into tune every time we moved it. I mention this because there were times that nobody would show after a gig to load out because they were too stoned or hung over from the previous night’s show. I’d end up tearing down the drum kit and PA (days of big folded horn bass bins, mid cabinets, and JBL horns), and load everything in the truck. That’s probably why the knees are now shot.

In the last two days I’ve seen more snow on the ground than I have seen all winter. I was just out for the second time with the snowblower this morning after the city plows went through and pushed everything into the driveway again. When I was out there the first time I slipped on the ice and almost ran the snowblower into the side of my wife’s new XT5. Her car sits in the driveway while mine and the toys get the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Her car sits in the driveway while mine and the toys get the garage.
    You'll have to share with me how you managed to pull that one off.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    You'll have to share with me how you managed to pull that one off.
    Easy enough......he doesn't say a word about her seventy-five pairs of shoes.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

I have no delusions that I'm the king of my castle, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

I had a nicer car before buying this car for her. She says she has the newer car so we should leave my old yacht sit and use her car.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    interesting week. got my license renewed, no problem at all. Woot. Bro's doing great in surgery recovery. We appear to be in the crosshairs of a nor'easter starting tomorrow night into Wednesday. We had canceled cable and tried to go internet only. Didn't work, we are weak craven sports fans especially my brother, who said he would pay the cable. Woot again, as I'm on fixed income and cable/internet has crossed the 2K per year mark. We're also getting a new kitchen sink, something we've needed desperately. This stupid two-bowl sink is too small to wash a regular sized frying pan and has no garbage disposal.

There was a rather shocking revelation this week involving my former SIL getting scammed. She is one of the last people I'd ever expect to be taken by a con artist. It's devastating to her, she's ruined financially. She could lose her job, which deals with secured financial information of clients. She could lose her house. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I think scammers should be executed publicly and on live television.

Ouch! I’ve seen people get scammed but never to that extent. What kind of scam was that?