Thread: RIP Gary Rossington

RIP Gary Rossington

During Skynyrd's zenith, you couldn't touch that three-man guitar squad, and each contributed to that sound. I got burned out on their music long ago but had been listening again lately. They made a great contribution to rock. GR rocked the Les Paul.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: RIP Gary Rossington

Reunited with Allan Collins and Steve Gaines, Skynyrd's ass-kicking triumvirate.

Terrible and tragic news.

RIP
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

RIP. Gary was actually a player I modeled my initial style around. Growing
    up in FL, they were a huge influence. Saw the original band a few days before the crash, as well as caught the first 3 gigs on Rossington-Collins in a small venue before they released their debut album.
    Mark

Thanks for everything Gary. Godspeed.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I was just watching an old flick about a week ago called "Nighthawks" starring Sly Stallone and Billy Dee Williams and one or two tracks from that debut album were used in a nightclub scene.

Been thinking on it those 1st 4 gigs of Rossington-Collins were 4 1 set gigs that were not initially planned. Their 1st "official" gig as I recall was at The Great Southern Music Hall in Gainesville.

Well there also happened to be a Great Southern Music Hall in Orlando. The week preceding, it was announced on the radio that they were going to do 2 sets in Orlando that Friday as a warm up. Got tickets to both of those. After Friday's shows (place was pretty much at capacity), it was announced they were doing 2 more 1 set gigs Saturday (that evening). I was only able to score a ticket to the 1st Sat set.

Saw lots of groups there, from locals such as Pat Travers to English groups such as The Police.
    Another neat venue in central FL was Joint in the Woods, which was basically a scout lodge in a park. Picnic benches and all. Saw George Thorogood there as he walked across the picnic bench tops playing. Good times.
    Mark

I was lucky enough to be at the Charlie Daniels Volunteer Jam when members of Skynyrd played together for the first time since the crash. Leon Wilkerson was still too messed up to play bass. This was a real emotional performance for the musicians and us in the audience. I know I got chill bumps. Rossington was a fine slide player.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I just heard that very sad news. I have been a Skynyrd fan since my cousin had their debut album on a reel to reel tape. Are there any original members left? Ricky Medlock perhaps?
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ricky is still around. A studio musician/vocalist/writer for them at the beginning. Remember he was largely in the NE during the early 70s.
    Mark

I wonder if any version of Lynyrd Skynyrd will continue to tour? I had the feeling Gary was the one keeping things together.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Unknown, Gary was the last living member of the orig touring band. Don’t know if Johnny and Ricky can hold it together.
    Mark

Out of respect, they really should change the name of the band if they carry on. Maybe to the Skynyrd Experience. As far as my tastes go, the real Skynyrd died when Ronnie died. Loved the Rossington-Collins Band. I’m just not into bands having zero or one or two of the members from the high point. Seriously, groups like Kansas and Foreigner are just cover bands at this point. Same with bands like Chicago. The music is well-played, but they’re tribute acts. It’d be a bit like McCartney calling his hired guns The Beatles.

+1

Having spoken to Ricky Medlocke at length on this topic (we were both involved in a Bill Shatner film project in late 2000) he agreed that "corporate" bands like Molly Hatchet, Kansas, etc) were all phoning it in solely in the interest of profit but he maintained that Skynyrd was a living legend regardless of who happened to be on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    +1

Having spoken to Ricky Medlocke at length on this topic (we were both involved in a Bill Shatner film project in late 2000) he agreed that "corporate" bands like Molly Hatchet, Kansas, etc) were all phoning it in solely in the interest of profit but he maintained that Skynyrd was a living legend regardless of who happened to be on stage.
    I get that they were a tight bunch, and that’s why I think they should keep the name but still distinguish themselves from the original band. Even The Skynyrd Family would be great. As much as I like the guys in Skynyrd now, and they aren’t shabby, I can’t help but feel there’s a significant difference.

I hate it with bands like Kansas who, before the 80s turned them into a corporate band, were a tight and original creative unit. They were a joy to see in the 70s. Remember when REO Speedwagon were great, before Kevin Cronin discovered he could write platinum selling power ballads with or without key members of the band? Ah, I’m just nostalgic for an era that died long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Ah, I’m just nostalgic for an era that died long ago.
    You're not alone.

I remember about ten years ago Grand Funk Railroad came to town and played a free concert in the city park.

No Mark Farner, no Craig Frost.

I didn't even bother to go.

It’s time to start summing up our era. What a lot of great music that came from it. There’s great music in every era, but i can’t relate to mainstream music these days. I just read an item about an artist filling up Wembley, and I’d never heard of him. He means something to younger generations. As should be, it’s their world now.

On another forum, a few guys were making snide comments about Ed Sheeran. I don’t like his music, but he filled arenas and captivated audiences with a looper, a Martin, his voice, and his songs.

We are fortunate to have so much recorded music from our generation, even as we dwindle.

It’s time to start summing up our era. What a lot of great music that came from it. There’s great music in every era, but i can’t relate to mainstream music these days. I just read an item about an artist filling up Wembley, and I’d never heard of him. He means something to younger generations. As should be, it’s their world now.
    Let's face it......we've become our parents

Forum Member

I actually liked my dad's "Big Band" music!
    Just out of high school, I got a job playing drums with a popular local "Western Swing" band. The bass player asked me where I learned to "swing", (I didn't know I did!)

As I aged I actually developed an interest in and a liking for the music of my folks' era, possibly because I'm such a big fan of film noir classics from the '40s and '50s. Movies starring such notables as Humphrey Bogart, William Powell, John Garfield, etc and paired with some very classy ladies -- Dorothy Malone, Lizabeth Scott, Lauren Bacall, Eleanor Parker, et all. I guess my parents were pretty smart after all.

I’m right with you guys. I was recently on a William Powell kick, rewatching the Thin Man films, but I love the classic films of the era as well. And I love Big Band and inherited a treasure-rich collection of 78s. Original pressings of Glenn Miller and the like. That era produced its own amazing writers and musicians. I think anyone interested in songwriting would do well to study the lyrics, melodies, arrangements, and chord progressions. Fantastic stuff.

I think anyone interested in songwriting would do well to study the lyrics, melodies, arrangements, and chord progressions. Fantastic stuff.
    +1

I'm quite partial to Hoagy Carmichael, especially his work with Lauren Bacall in "To Have And Have Not".

I’m right with you guys. I was recently on a William Powell kick, rewatching the Thin Man films, but I love the classic films of the era as well. And I love Big Band and inherited a treasure-rich collection of 78s. Original pressings of Glenn Miller and the like. That era produced its own amazing writers and musicians. I think anyone interested in songwriting would do well to study the lyrics, melodies, arrangements, and chord progressions. Fantastic stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    +1

I'm quite partial to Hoagy Carmichael, especially his work with Lauren Bacall in "To Have And Have Not".
    I was listening to one of the music podcasts I subscribe to, and the second piece aired was Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, Second Movement: Allegretto. It reminded me that back in my college days in response to my father's question about a Christmas present, I replied, "Beethoven's Nine Symphonies Box Set: Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Herbert von Karajan on Deustche Grammohpon." I got it, too. It's a treasured part of my music collection.

Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Manitas de Plata, and countless others are musicians that all deserve a fair hearing.

On the liner notes of one of my lesser-known CDs (Sons of Champlin - Live!) is the comment, "You can't hide good music."
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

This is the ONLY forum where Skynyrd and classical music is referenced in the same thread LOL.
    Mark

It then again, what I tried to model from Gary as I was starting was how to blend and complement other instruments. That’s pretty much the a requirement of being a classical musician.
    Mark

I listen to a lot of classical and rock and old jazz and and and. One of the greatest pleasures in my life is listening to the wealth of variety in music. My favorite time to listen is when I go to bed at night. I have stereo-paired Bluetooth speakers on my bed posts, and I listen to classical or whatever. Last night was Jethro Tull’s recent album, Zealot Gene. Such a great album. And to bring it cack to Skynyrd, a few weeks ago, I cranked up the album Gimme Back My Bullets. Music genres of all kinds share the same DNA, so hopping across that panoply is a natural.

Me lady and I are going to a performance of Shostakovich and Sibelius this weekend, and I’m as excited as I’d be if I were going to see most rock concerts

I like Sibelius! Enjoy the concert!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I like Sibelius! Enjoy the concert!
    Thanks! Violin Concerto in D Minor by Sibelius.

And I have to correct myself, not Shostakovich but Dvořák’s Symphony No. 7. Better for me because I really love Dvořák.

And I have to correct myself, not Shostakovich but Dvořák’s Symphony No. 7. Better for me because I really love Dvořák.
    I have no idea who these folks are......y'all are just tryin' to shame me 'cause my hat is dusty and my boots are muddy.

I too like classical music, namely classic Southern Rock and classic Rock.

Forum Member

Looking to book our R&R band and talking to an owner of a venue I had worked often with country bands.
    "You know Bill, I like both kinds of music, Country and Western!"
    I guaranteed he would have a minimum crowd of 100, or we weren't paid the $300. He took in 175 @ $5 at the door, and claimed "Those damn hippies and bikers spend a hell of a lot more than cowboys!" (He gave me an extra $50.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I too like classical music, namely classic Southern Rock and classic Rock.
    +1

Moonshine an' manure......rock it!

Phantomman, You would probably like my friend's old band, the "reckless southerners". I did a few field recordings of them using a Roland VS1680 and got surprisingly good results. I don't know if I could attach a MP3 in a PM to you.

Send it via e-mail, I'd love to hear it!

38 Special always rocked.

As did these guys......

You might really dig the Dixie Dregs.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    You might really dig the Dixie Dregs.
    I saw them play a couple of times back in the day. In fact, I had them on Spotify a few days ago. Stellar musicians.