Thread: NBD ! Imagine me getting an acoustic bass!

NBD ! Imagine me getting an acoustic bass!

The brown truck brought it yesterday, but given the whacky weather we've been having, I figured letting it sit and acclimate overnight was the wisest choice of action. So, this morning I unpacked it. Ladies and gentlemen, I present my newest acquisition: A Spector Timbre 4 Jr. Short Scale Acoustic-Electric Bass in Matte Black. Here alongside a Stratocaster for scale:

"Short scale" in this case refers to the 30" scale length versus the typical 34." I confess, I'd never heard of Spector before coming across the Stupid Deal of the Day on Musician's Friend, but the price was stupidly low, and I like the idea of having a bass right at hand should the inspiration strike me. I'm also thinking of joining the church band, who is without a bass player.

The guitar is surprisingly well built, solid, sitka spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides. Bolt-on mahogany neck with laurel fingerboard and an onboard Fishman Presys+ pre-amp and piezo pickup.

Spector gets good reviews on the bass forums, and now that I've looked it over, tuned it and played it a bit, I think it's a keeper. What I have to do is work on my right hand, since it sounds so rich when finger-plucked. I need that!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: NBD ! Imagine me getting an acoustic bass!

I like the simplicity of the instrument. Nothing pretentious, all business.

With an appropriate amp it should get the job done.

Congrats!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Ahh nice. For strings go PB, and if you desire to use a pick, get felt picks. I have an older Boulder Creek that has done many gigs.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Ahh nice. For strings go PB, and if you desire to use a pick, get felt picks. I have an older Boulder Creek that has done many gigs.
    Spector doesn't specify the brand of string they put on the instrument, only the sizes: 040-060-085-105. A lot of discussion I've read here (and elsewhere) is the debate between flat-wound and round-wound. I suppose Phosphor/Bronze is as good as any for starting out, but I'm obviously going to use the strings that came with it until they need replacing.
    Striving to be ordinary

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Are the OEM strings flats or round-wound?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Are the OEM strings flats or round-wound?
    Sure look like round-wounds to me. I don't think I've ever use flat-wound strings before.

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Spector doesn't specify the brand of string they put on the instrument, only the sizes: 040-060-085-105. A lot of discussion I've read here (and elsewhere) is the debate between flat-wound and round-wound. I suppose Phosphor/Bronze is as good as any for starting out, but I'm obviously going to use the strings that came with it until they need replacing.
    The main thing is acoustic volume. Flats won’t do that. I found PB wounds to offer the best volume with the thud you desire. My reference to felt pics is that’s the best choice for thud if you use a pick.
    Mark

Excellent!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    The main thing is acoustic volume. Flats won’t do that. I found PB wounds to offer the best volume with the thud you desire. My reference to felt pics is that’s the best choice for thud if you use a pick.

I don't use a pick when I play guitar, despite my having gotten that little gadget designed to keep one from flying out of one's hand. But I may look into a felt pick because my habitually tendency is to use my thumb. A felt pick might meet my instinctive motion at the same time giving the guitar sound a little punch.

Do you recommend any particular felt picks?
    Striving to be ordinary

As I recall, I got Dunlop, I think the 3.2 mm
    Mark

Thanks. I'll check them out.
    Striving to be ordinary

I'm obviously going to use the strings that came with it until they need replacing.
    It's been my experience that bass guitar strings can last a very long time, like decades. My Gibson SB450 came (used) with flatwounds, but I put roundwounds on it about 20 years ago, for more punch and definition while recording. When practicing, I generally use my fingers, but found that using a pick while recording gives more clarity.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Arthritis makes using a pick painful for me, so I’ve gone to using the fingers and find that technique can help with clarity, as can eq-ing, if that makes sense. Of course, sometimes a pick is absolutely necessary. My basal thumb joint is shot, so I’ve been trying Black Mountain thumb picks. I’m not convinced that they’re any better than a good old Dunlop thumb pick.

OS, I command you to learn those songs on Clapton’s The Lady in the Balcony, a great album that I know you like. Nathan East is one of my favorite bassists.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Arthritis makes using a pick painful for me, so I’ve gone to using the fingers and find that technique can help with clarity, as can eq-ing, if that makes sense. Of course, sometimes a pick is absolutely necessary. My basal thumb joint is shot, so I’ve been trying Black Mountain thumb picks. I’m not convinced that they’re any better than a good old Dunlop thumb pick.

OS, I command you to learn those songs on Clapton’s The Lady in the Balcony, a great album that I know you like. Nathan East is one of my favorite bassists.
    LOL! I've already performed a number of those LITB songs at the open mic: Bell Bottom Blues, Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out, Black Magic Woman, After Midnight, and I'm working on River of Tears.

Nathan East is in my opinion, one of the best living bassists today. I first learned of him through his work in Fourplay, but have since found him playing with anyone and everyone who is someone. He is certainly one to be emulated (as if I could!).
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

Looks nice in flat black!

I have two Dean Exotica acoustic basses. First thing I did was get rid of the horrible bronzewound factory strings...tone was the most important consideration but the wonderful feel of D'Addario black tapewounds was a big plus.

https://youtu.be/Nsf2ydAbHxI

As for picks, felt ones are okay, but why buy disposable picks when you can buy ones that last as long as tapewounds or flatwounds?
    Last edited by jd56hawk; 07-28-2023 at 01:28 PM.