Thread: Trower and Bassist Dewar

Trower and Bassist Dewar

This is one of my favorite albums and songs.

I was listening closely to Dewar’s bass lines and his vocals. Man, Trower was fortunate to have had JD in his band. His contribution to Somebody Calling really makes the song fly. Dewar was a skilled and tuneful player. His bass here is rhythmically tight and still melodic—combined skills many bassists lack.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Trower and Bassist Dewar

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Well, you knew I would have to add my piddling two cents to this thread.

Trower ranks among the top three Strat players in my pantheon of guitar heroes (Clapton, Beck). It never ceases to amaze me that he has never received the same level of recognition of the others, and that he is often (unfairly) likened to a Hendrix wanna-be. I guess since his roots are in the blues, he gets more recognition from the blues crowd than he does from the rock/guitar crowd.

I have a tremendous respect for Trower both as a guitar player and as one who has followed his own path despite detractors. Not only did he get an awesome bassist and vocalist in James Dewar, but he did the same with Jack Bruce. Has every piece he's ever created been a hit? No. But that's true of 99.9% of all artists, I think.

He appeared at the Birchmere in Alexandria, Virginia in 2019, right after he released the album Getting Closer to the Day. Since he played every instrument but drums on that album (yes, he was the bassist!), his backup band was a younger batch of unknowns, but they were tight, talented, and each had an opportunity to solo, and they provided the backing that gave Trower the spotlight in which to shine. Great concert in a small venue (seats up to 500, with dinner and drink service)!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Whatever his level of popular fame, he is a bona fide guitar legend. He was among the innovators of rock. Just being in Procol Harum during their golden years is pedigree enough. I remember when Bridge of Sighs came out too, and folks were genuinely in awe of him. Dewar’s vocals helped, but Trower is an original. I like some blues but not all, and I like more what players like Trower, Page, Clapton , Beck, and Gilmour did with the blues. So I share your love of Trower.

And of course I knew you’d pipe up and hoped you would, Fred. I’m jealous that I can’t get a lefty version of your Trower Strat. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    And of course I knew you’d pipe up and hoped you would, Fred. I’m jealous that I can’t get a lefty version of your Trower Strat. Haha.
    Should I?

No.

No, it would'nt be kind.

It would be cruel.

Oh, heck. The guitar gods will forgive me.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Haha. It’s fine. How could I ever be offended by a piece of art like that?