Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official OSA Jam - Lou's Cottage

Re: Official OSA Jam - Lou's Cottage

I guess it's going to be more like Jelly than Jam!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I mentioned it to IPLAYLOUD today. He wasn't aware of it.

Are you guys serious about the attrition?

How many are confirmed as attending?
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    I mentioned it to IPLAYLOUD today. He wasn't aware of it.

Are you guys serious about the attrition?

How many are confirmed as attending?
    So far - two.

I mean, maybe it's time for a reality check. We have an out-of-town show the night before. We were all saying we would help with unloading and loading the trailer. Tying up the band, lights and sound for free (well, I was going to pay the roadies out of my pocket) as well as the venue for two people is a pretty big ask.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    So far - two.

I mean, maybe it's time for a reality check. We have an out-of-town show the night before. We were all saying we would help with unloading and loading the trailer. Tying up the band, lights and sound for free (well, I was going to pay the roadies out of my pocket) as well as the venue for two people is a pretty big ask.

Chuck
    I get it Chuck. As much as I love hanging out with you, it's close to 400 miles each way. The thought of the jam was really cool - but I can see Bob locally That's a huge ask for you to do all that for a couple guests! If you call it off I sure will understand!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I am committed to this and have made plans to be in the region for 6 days.
    My girl is coming along and we're riding the Eerie Canal Trail on our bicycles for 4 days after the jam so, we're going to be there all the same.

When it all comes down to it, the core remains and the electrons circulate and spin off.

So it will be three couples at dinner and a chance to have a few laughs. Should we play? I think so. I know you guys are pretty road-worn at this point, but it's always nice to play with some new people just same.
    I'll throw in $100 towards feeding the guys from your band and suggest that we have a casual, low key day of relaxed music and dining.

Funny how this kind of thing happens:

STEP 1) Ya know what we should do......?
    STEP 2) That's great! Wow! I'm down for that!
    STEP 3) OK, the list of attendees is growing!
    STEP 4) I'll bring this,.....you bring that,...........we'll all pull together,......
    STEP 5) Uh, I'm not sure I can make it,.......... um, like me either,......... oh, look at the time,......
    STEP 6) Well, we're all set to go! Hello? hello? Anyone there?

As a 16 time organizer of these events, I know what goes into this. I know how much effort Chuck has put into it, and how successful this event could be because of his efforts.

It would be a real shame for this to evaporate. There is a rich history behind this and an opportunity to get out and do something a little different.

I hope it happens in some form or another. I have committed to being in the region so, I'll be there.

I've never been, and I think the last time this was held was before I joined the forum (2016). The stories surrounding the event, before and after are the stuff of legend. Had my retirement been accepted and my last day established, I'd be all over this. Next year, if it happens again, I will be as free as a bird, and would look and plan forward to it. It's just not in the cards for me this year.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Interesting, how is a retirement not accepted? I'm pretty sure slavery has been abolished. Employers will give you a song and dance sometimes but "retirement" is basically a tax status with the federal government and has nothing to do with your employer except for some accounting on their part.

I'm on the cusp of retirement and all I have to do is walk in and tell them "I'm retiring". I know 'cause I asked.

IIRC Virginia (improperly named in my experience) is a "Right to Work" state which means you have the legal right to leave whenever you wish.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 05-04-2023 at 06:02 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

You are entirely correct, Chuck. When I discussed my upcoming retirement with our H.R. person, I offered to stay on until my replacement could be found and brought up to speed. I'm the only one in my company that does what I do. Not that I think I'm super-important (I'm not), but no one else wants to do it.

So the uncertainty of the date is due to not having my replacement immediately on hand. I've had a good career with this company, they've treated me well overall, and I don't want to crap on them as I leave.

But I am leaving. That's been my point all along. I just don't know when (I have set an absolute final date in October).
    Striving to be ordinary

I am committed to this and have made plans to be in the region for 6 days.
    My girl is coming along and we're riding the Eerie Canal Trail on our bicycles for 4 days after the jam so, we're going to be there all the same.

When it all comes down to it, the core remains and the electrons circulate and spin off.

So it will be three couples at dinner and a chance to have a few laughs. Should we play? I think so. I know you guys are pretty road-worn at this point, but it's always nice to play with some new people just same.
    I'll throw in $100 towards feeding the guys from your band and suggest that we have a casual, low key day of relaxed music and dining.

Funny how this kind of thing happens:

STEP 1) Ya know what we should do......?
    STEP 2) That's great! Wow! I'm down for that!
    STEP 3) OK, the list of attendees is growing!
    STEP 4) I'll bring this,.....you bring that,...........we'll all pull together,......
    STEP 5) Uh, I'm not sure I can make it,.......... um, like me either,......... oh, look at the time,......
    STEP 6) Well, we're all set to go! Hello? hello? Anyone there?

As a 16 time organizer of these events, I know what goes into this. I know how much effort Chuck has put into it, and how successful this event could be because of his efforts.

It would be a real shame for this to evaporate. There is a rich history behind this and an opportunity to get out and do something a little different.

I hope it happens in some form or another. I have committed to being in the region so, I'll be there.

I am really sad about not being able to attend the jam. If I lived in the US, I'd certainly do whatever it takes. Too bad I live in such a distant country, and taking this trip will have to wait a bit more.

I'm just disappointed to see the spirit behind this reignite and then fade. It would have been a lot of fun.

Chuck, I hope you're up for dinner, and that Nick joins us. Like I said, I'll be in the area now anyway. May as well have a good time just the same.
    Thank you for all your efforts.

I'm just disappointed to see the spirit behind this reignite and then fade. It would have been a lot of fun.

Chuck, I hope you're up for dinner, and that Nick joins us. Like I said, I'll be in the area now anyway. May as well have a good time just the same.
    Thank you for all your efforts.

Of course! Looking forward to it.

Yeah, bummer but can't say we didn't try. I'll get a black eye with a venue too. They advertised it.

Given some of the "Dog ate my homework" excuses I got it's pretty discouraging. This place used to be a hangout for players.

Chuck

Chuck, if you have a drummer and bass player willing to play, I'll play this as a gig with you.
    We'll save face with Lou's and have a good time while we're at it.

Low key. Maybe put it out there as an open mic for the local scene. Either way, we can cover this. And it will be fun. We always have fun whether is 2 of us or 20.

Let's have some fun with it.

OK, I can bring in some ringers. I had a few surprise guests that were going to show up for the guys anyway. Let's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    You are entirely correct, Chuck. When I discussed my upcoming retirement with our H.R. person, I offered to stay on until my replacement could be found and brought up to speed. I'm the only one in my company that does what I do. Not that I think I'm super-important (I'm not), but no one else wants to do it.

So the uncertainty of the date is due to not having my replacement immediately on hand. I've had a good career with this company, they've treated me well overall, and I don't want to crap on them as I leave.

But I am leaving. That's been my point all along. I just don't know when (I have set an absolute final date in October).

Word to the wise - unless it's a family business and you're in the family - regardless of what you may think - you're going to get screwed. If you really want to retire simply retire and tell them if they get into a jam you'll work contract at some exorbitant rate. Win-win.

At this point they have no motivation to hire anyone as long as you're there. And they will never hire anyone unless you give them a firm retirement date. Trust me. You need to be the one driving the bus and not them.

If they really gave a rat's ass about you they would have facilitated your retirement when you brought it up, not string you along.

Chuck

Good advice Chuck!

Word to the wise - unless it's a family business and you're in the family - regardless of what you may think - you're going to get screwed. If you really want to retire simply retire and tell them if they get into a jam you'll work contract at some exorbitant rate. Win-win.

At this point they have no motivation to hire anyone as long as you're there. And they will never hire anyone unless you give them a firm retirement date. Trust me. You need to be the one driving the bus and not them.

If they really gave a rat's ass about you they would have facilitated your retirement when you brought it up, not string you along.

Chuck
    Oh, trust me, I gave them a "drop dead" date (if you'll pardon the expression). In essence, I gave them six months notice, and if they elect to exercise my retirement date earlier, I told them I'm okay with that. I said I was prepared to leave today/tomorrow, but I wanted to give them the opportunity to hire my replacement and bring that person up to speed. However they decide to proceed, however, they know MY final date.
    Striving to be ordinary

Dude, They don't get to "exercise your retirement date" - that would either be a separation package or a termination.

Since they haven't eliminated your job I would think (because I don't give legal advice) that then you'd have an ageism complaint. They can't terminate you because you're retiring. So, by not retiring you are forcing them to not let you go.

Remember, HR is working for the company, not for you.

Dude, They don't get to "exercise your retirement date" - that would either be a separation package or a termination.

Since they haven't eliminated your job I would think (because I don't give legal advice) that then you'd have an ageism complaint. They can't terminate you because you're retiring. So, by not retiring you are forcing them to not let you go.

Remember, HR is working for the company, not for you.
    No, I get that. And thank you for your input and opinions. Believe it or not, I find them helpful and thought-provoking.

But I will say that this has been my plan, so I'm OK with that. At the very basic level, I gave them six months notice. I know what's happening within the company, and how things are evolving, so the potential has existed that my job could be eliminated at some point in the near future. Yes, I have put them in the position to be the subject of an ageism claim, but I personally don't want to stay on board in a role I don't want (which is what I predict would happen). So, if they decide my position can be eliminated, I'll walk out the door the day they make that decision, and the termination will be on my terms, not theirs.

I'm also in the position (unfortunately) of now having to address some physical issues that have cropped up over the past few months. That means that I need to get them addressed while I still have company-paid health insurance. I don't want to bring that to their attention, but these issues are partly the reason I've decided it's time to retire. If I get to do it my way, I'll have all my health concerns addressed by the time I lose my coverage and have to depend on medicare (I'm not wealthy enough to afford private healthcare).
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    No, I get that. And thank you for your input and opinions. Believe it or not, I find them helpful and thought-provoking.

But I will say that this has been my plan, so I'm OK with that. At the very basic level, I gave them six months notice. I know what's happening within the company, and how things are evolving, so the potential has existed that my job could be eliminated at some point in the near future. Yes, I have put them in the position to be the subject of an ageism claim, but I personally don't want to stay on board in a role I don't want (which is what I predict would happen). So, if they decide my position can be eliminated, I'll walk out the door the day they make that decision, and the termination will be on my terms, not theirs.

I'm also in the position (unfortunately) of now having to address some physical issues that have cropped up over the past few months. That means that I need to get them addressed while I still have company-paid health insurance. I don't want to bring that to their attention, but these issues are partly the reason I've decided it's time to retire. If I get to do it my way, I'll have all my health concerns addressed by the time I lose my coverage and have to depend on medicare (I'm not wealthy enough to afford private healthcare).
    Deciding to retire is so fricking complicated. I legally turn 70 this August (although I actually turned 70 last August). I not only love my work, I'm passionate about it and really enjoy what I do. It's a mental challenge, not a physical one, so I could pretty-much keep right on going for as long as I want. I know myself well enough that if I left now I'd wasted most of my days playing on my computer having nothing to show for it. I actually just filed my application to collect in August when I hit the max, with the plan to use the SS payments to pay off mortgage and other debts, so retirement will be a bit easier to handle. I'm more or less aiming for two to three years before I pull the plug. OS, you raise a good point about health insurance. I love that it's not my problem to pay for it while I'm employed... but it's yet another incentive to keep working. My wife ended up going out on disability a few years ago. She had been an accountant and brought in a dedent salary, but when that stopped things got a bit tighter. If she had kept working we'd be in a really good spot right now, but oh well!

Guys (and gals), I've started a new thread on The Retiring Musician so as to not derail this topic, which is very important to those involved! Even though I've never earned a busker's penny for playing guitar or any other instrument, as long as I continue pick, pluck or strum, I consider myself a musician. And I am NOT retiring from that endeavor!
    Striving to be ordinary

The show will go on. I have TeleBob, and a few "ringers" coming in and we're going to have a really good time!

Chuck

Yes indeed!
    Not sure if I'm bringing the Princeton yet. Space is a bit tight in the car with all the gear for the jam and bicycle ride the following 4 days.
    Lots of "woman stuff" in the car. Takes up a LOT of room.

We're gonna kill it Chuck! No phtots. They don't deserve it!

I posted the event on facebook with a link. Maybe some of the other guys will come and play.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...26249485379830
    Last edited by Tele-Bob; 05-30-2023 at 01:50 PM.

Yes indeed!
    Not sure if I'm bringing the Princeton yet. Space is a bit tight in the car with all the gear for the jam and bicycle ride the following 4 days.
    Lots of "woman stuff" in the car. Takes up a LOT of room.

We're gonna kill it Chuck! No phtots. They don't deserve it!

I posted the event on facebook with a link. Maybe some of the other guys will come and play.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...26249485379830

Hey, Rickenjangle is going to make it. See you tomorrow. Call/text if you need anything.

Sounds great. I know at least two thirds of your set list so, we've got this covered either way.

It will be great to see the jangle man, LOL.

I brought the Princeton I got from Dan the Blues Man so I hope we're not playing too loud tomorrow. I think a mid-day crowd is going to want something a little lighter anyway.

I need to borrow a guitar cable from someone if you could please bring an extra.

Check your email. I don't have your number.

Looking forward to a really good time. It's been a while since we've done this jam thing. We were the ones that made it happen in the beginning. Maybe we're the ones to usher it out. I just don't see it happening anymore. Good times await! See you tomorrow!

Coolio,

Show last night was brutal. Outside, 90°F, humid and sound gremlins. Stage had along aluminum ramp with no handrails. Then an hour drive home.

At least we found a nexis of hot biker chicks near the Pennsylvania border. Oh, to be young again!

We're all set for today so see you there!

Chuck

What a great time!
    OSA put on a very well planned and executed day of music.
    Full PA and sound man provided, and all the players necessary for a successful event.
    Lots of good jams and groovin' music as the crowd rolled in and out all day. Really nice folks.

Dan the Blues Man, the Princeton exceeded all expectations. Sweet and chimey and plenty of volume for the gig. I am soooooo pleased with it! Thank you!

Thank you Chuck for putting on such a fine afternoon for all in attendance. Up to your usual standard of excellence.

Off to do some bicycle riding for the next 4 days. 100 miles of the Eerie Canal Trail. Weeeeeeeee!

Dan, I can't understand how you let that Princeton Reverb get away from you! That amp ROCKS.

Yeah, we had a good time. Not bad for some old farts. Kudos to the band, they were all gassed from an out-of-town gig the night before but hung in there like the troupers they are. We have a "summer tour" lined up now where we don't get a weekend's rest and road gigs.

It was awesome to share the stage with TeleBob and Rickenjangle again.

I'd say we crushed it.

Chuck

glad to hear that the Princeton was a good amp. After not using it for so long, I figured I have my Fender tones in hand with the big combo. Irrationally, I've been looking at Princeton Reverb ads again LOL.

I still have my Princeton non-reverb with the removable baffle and a waiting 12" baffle and a Weber Blue Dog speaker. Plus a nice FRV-1 '63 pedal for when I need a little ambiance. But I'm enjoying the Marshall I bought with the proceeds of the sale and I'm still looking for the DSL 401. Why? Cuz Imma dumbass, that's why

awesome that the jam went well. If there's ever another one, I hope I can go.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

There was a guy that showed up to play who was very good and really ripped it up. He was so frickin' loud though, it kinda killed the vibe.
    I called a slow, quiet version of "Crossroads" with the emphasis on QUIET and slow. Just as I was about to count it out, the unknown guitar player rips into it loud and fast and the band followed.
    No harm, no foul. I just happen to sing it an octave lower, in more of Leon Redbone style, and couldn't hit the notes so I backed off the mic and let it jam out.
    When it was over, I left the stage to let him play loudly with the band. It's just not my thing.
    I gave him a quick, turn it down gesture, and stuck a finger in my ear. Unfortunately, the guy got upset and just left all red faced and miffed. Apparently, a couple others made similar gestures about volume.
    If he wasn't sooooooo much louder than everyone else it would not have been an issue. I felt bad about him leaving because I could hear the guy really had great chops and a lot experience playing other great players.
    Too bad excessive volume is such a disease among some players.
    Dude, if you're on this forum, I really enjoyed your playing.

There was a guy that showed up to play who was very good and really ripped it up. He was so frickin' loud though, it kinda killed the vibe.
    I called a slow, quiet version of "Crossroads" with the emphasis on QUIET and slow. Just as I was about to count it out, the unknown guitar player rips into it loud and fast and the band followed.
    No harm, no foul. I just happen to sing it an octave lower, in more of Leon Redbone style, and couldn't hit the notes so I backed off the mic and let it jam out.
    When it was over, I left the stage to let him play loudly with the band. It's just not my thing.
    I gave him a quick, turn it down gesture, and stuck a finger in my ear. Unfortunately, the guy got upset and just left all red faced and miffed. Apparently, a couple others made similar gestures about volume.
    If he wasn't sooooooo much louder than everyone else it would not have been an issue. I felt bad about him leaving because I could hear the guy really had great chops and a lot experience playing other great players.
    Too bad excessive volume is such a disease among some players.
    Dude, if you're on this forum, I really enjoyed your playing.
    He used to be in the "House Band" at CBGB's back in the day (really) so I guess he figures he needs to be that loud 45 years later.

But yeah, it was obnoxious. I expected things to get a little rambunctious with so many great guitar slingers but that was over the top. Didn't help he had a Strat into an AC15 - that's not an easy combination to tame in anything less than a stadium.

But we still had fun. I loved the warmup stuff we did at whisper volumes. That was some great stuff.

Chuck

But just one of those moments that happens. If it wasn't him it would have been one of the rest of us LOL.