Thread: Help ID Old Strat Body

Forum Member

Help ID Old Strat Body

Can any one help me ID this old Stratocaster body. Think it’s a MIM but I just don’t know. I’m new to the forum so I apologize if I’m posting in the wrong thread or something. All I have is a picture of the neck pocket which has a sticker with a handwritten “D” on it and maybe “4 4” as well as some stamped numbers “A 83108” and a Mickey Mouse hole. Please Help
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5283u4nq4p...BD0D.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p55dhsopp...09AA.jpeg?dl=0

front pics,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rekktklzsy...4284.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i43pri6bti...60E7.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms2wn8weg3...80E5.jpeg?dl=0
    Last edited by Carrera6; 02-22-2023 at 03:39 PM.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Help ID Old Strat Body

Can you post a pic of the body with the pickguard removed?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Can you post a pic of the body with the pickguard removed?
    I just put strings and had it intonated. Im not really comfortable taking it apart, is there anything you can tell from the neck pocket? Feels like really heavy wood.

That's akin to some slacker going to the hospital because he's coughing up blood then balking when the doctor asks him to remove his gold chains and nipple rings so he can shoot some chest X-rays.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrera6 View Post
    I just put strings and had it intonated. Im not really comfortable taking it apart, is there anything you can tell from the neck pocket? Feels like really heavy wood.
    So what you're saying is that you like the guitar enough to have it intonated and dressed with new strings, and your question is really just academic?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

That's akin to some slacker going to the hospital because he's coughing up blood then balking when the doctor asks him to remove his gold chains and nipple rings so he can shoot some chest X-rays.
    Ok whatever can you help or not?

Nope.

Forum Member

Nope.
    Old Fart, always someone in these chats that thinks they are something, if you can’t help dont respond.

Old Fart, always someone in these chats that thinks they are something, if you can’t help dont respond.
    Sorry, but there's not a lot of information even the best experts can tell from those 2 pics that you posted.
    The neck pocket one is more helpful thatn the other, but at least to my eyes I can't read anything there other than the 'D'. There's a stamp that could be the date but I can't read it.
    The other shot, the back of the body, doesn't really help much. The body route would help a lot more than that. It's not hard to do without taking out the strings, you have to loosen them, then unscrew the pickguard and pull it out.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Sorry, but there's not a lot of information even the best experts can tell from those 2 pics that you posted.
    The neck pocket one is more helpful thatn the other, but at least to my eyes I can't read anything there other than the 'D'. There's a stamp that could be the date but I can't read it.
    The other shot, the back of the body, doesn't really help much. The body route would help a lot more than that. It's not hard to do without taking out the strings, you have to loosen them, then unscrew the pickguard and pull it out.
    thank you for that explanation, I’ll see what I can do about taking the pick guard off soon & take some pics. Was starting to think I was getting hazed or something. Thanks again for being kind to a brand new member.

Yep, I would never buy a used Strat unless I pulled the neck and guard first. It's routine to do and folks will even do it with vintage Gibson Les Pauls (well, not the necks!) from the 50's before buying. It's just a normal part of the sale. Either that or consult with Trogly or Norm's before buying. Guys like that can save you a lot of cash. In this day and age you need to assume any used guitar is a fake and inspect it.

You'll learn the old adage quickly: Fender built 1523 Strats in 1957, of which only 5719 survive today.

First off, is the bridge metric or SAE/English?

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ok whatever can you help or not?
    Not without checking the body routing. Phantomman was trying to help you.

TFF Stage Crew

The oversized route for the trem block looks just like a Squier body to me, as does the neck pocket & possible basswood body

Help me understand your question. You want help ID'ing a Strat BODY, correct? Because that first photo looks like no Strat I've ever seen before. The Humbucker bridge pickup is slanted, and the control knobs look off. I'm not sure what that thing by the jack plate is, so I can't tell if it's part of the guitar or something else? I wish I could see more of the wood through the wear-n-tear, but it looks darker than maple, if that's a help.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Help me understand your question. You want help ID'ing a Strat BODY, correct? Because that first photo looks like no Strat I've ever seen before. The Humbucker bridge pickup is slanted, and the control knobs look off. I'm not sure what that thing by the jack plate is, so I can't tell if it's part of the guitar or something else? I wish I could see more of the wood through the wear-n-tear, but it looks darker than maple, if that's a help.
    Every part on this guitar has been changed, upgraded, or downgraded. It appears the only parts original to the body are the two (2) single coil pickups & the typical Strat style jack plate. Story has it this guitar came from a guy named George Blanda who was said to once work for Fender. I still plan on eventually taking the pick guard loose so you guys can get a better idea of what we’re dealing with.