Thread: The Sunday Thread for February 19, 2023

The Sunday Thread for February 19, 2023

Good day, everyone! For the past several days it has struck me that despite the chilly winds blowing and sometimes rain, the sun in the sky is speaking Spring. It's early, if you believe the rodent from Pennsylvania. But yesterday, I got in my car and had to open the windows because the sun had warmed the interior that much!

It's a three day weekend for us around here (since I had no registrants for training last Friday, it's almost like a four-day holiday). Coincidentally, I have an appointment to get my car serviced tomorrow, so I won't feel rushed to get and get out. If my lady friend at the dealership is working, we may have lunch together.

Today is routine. With no baseball or football to occupy (waste) my time over, I'll do church this morning, a casual lunch, and then practice the two songs I'm hoping to perform Tuesday night at the open mic. I've been not playing there lately, but this time it feels right.

Wishing everyone a pleasant, happy Sunday, wherever you are.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for February 19, 2023

Good Sunday morning! Lazy day planned - with guitar playing in store! I am finally breaking my long-time drought. I've been struggling to unlearn bad habits and re-learn good habits vis a vis guitar, but realized I was compounding it by forcing myself to play acoustic. I picked up my ES 335 the other day and it was SO much easier to control. Spent Friday in the studio again and reworked a couple songs that hadn't gone quite the way I wanted them. Here is the one we rewored Friday. https://soundcloud.com/user-78574690...you-sing-ver-2 It's not perfect, but it is much closer to the song that's been rolling around in my head for a lot of years. Still needs addtional vocals, but it is fine for now.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Played last night. Have a rehearsal and a gig today. Taping the Daytona 500. Working on a side project for my temp job. Looks like they may want me perm, which would be good as I didn’t get either of the other jobs I interviewed for. Next week is a close week so I didn’t schedule any rehearsals or gigs.
    Mark

Working on a 2014 Cannondale Quick 4 bicycle and tweaking it for the spring. I bought it right figuring I would flip it. But now that I have gone through it, I am really diggin' this bike.
    It handle beautifully and accelerates faster than any hybrid bike I've ever ridden.
    I pulled down the cables and lubed them, re-packed the wheel bearings and cleaned it all up. What a sweet ride!

Working on a new song today. I had written a couple of tunes for my girl who has been a wonderful inspiration, and this new one just popped up.

Then I'll be working on songs for a new group coming together. It may or may not fly, but I don't ever mind adding to my repertoire.

Need to make tome for a walk in the woods as well. Full day ahead!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

good to see you all picking up guitars. I've been doing the same. Last night, I went to a Party Gras show at The Stone Church in Newmarket NH. Curtesy of some friends who gave me a ride. Great time was had, place was packed. 15th year the band (Truffle) has done this. Buddy of ours came up, haven't seen him in at least 10 years I think. Perfect night, not too cold for February. Forgot about the holiday tomorrow.

This is the week my brother has his surgery on Wednesday. Lot of last minute details to take care of. He'll be in the hospital until Saturday or Sunday. Then there will be visiting nurses and PT. It's probably going to be at least 2 months and the doctor said as much as 4 months recovery. The cat is just going to have to get used to a bunch of strangers coming to the house.

I started doing a little bit of brush clearing in my back yard. I don't want to do this during bug season and it looks like we might be getting an early start to that stuff. But we have some chilly weather next weekend that I hope slows things down a bit. I do not want to have to start mowing my lawn in March. All the snow in my backyard is gone, every last bit of it. My snow piles from shoveling the driveway are minuscule remnants of their towering stature just 2 weeks ago.

Daytona 500? I probably haven't watched it, I mean really watched it start to finish since the early '70s. Once they banned my winged Mopars, I lost interest.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Hey Dan, are you a fan of "The Hillbilly Weather Man?"

https://www.facebook.com/HillbillyWeather

Regular duties cleaning at the dog shelter, playing with the pups, Michael-the-Cat, and a majestic Great Dane named Capone. Such wonderful animals. Wish you each could come to Dyersburg and adopt one.

I've finally got a handle on using Logic with the UA Apollo Twin processor. I've gotten down the basic tracks with my Martins, the HD28V and the 12-string. The arthritis makes it a challenge to play the 12-string, but I got a take with only two minor flubs, and I'll fix them when I get back to recording tomorrow. For my next track, I'll play my Höfner bass because of it's smooth hollow sound. I also have an orchestra at my disposal via my Korg Kross keyboard. Very convincing sounds. The challenge there is setting up the expression pedal so that I can do glissandos. Having finally fought off silly fear of the technology and self-doubt, I'm feeling pretty happy about it all.

Really enjoying my SG. Those P90s can get really warm when EQd. While Clapton often recorded with his LP during the Cream days, it's possible to get "Woman" tones out of the SG. My girlfriend loves the Pelham Blue. I'm really lucky there too because she likes to hear me play.

Hope your week brings you happiness. Life is nature's gift, even when we struggle.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: The Sunday Thread for February 19, 20231

Late to the table today with a lot of stuff going on.

My wife and I were out for a great dinner last night with our 36th anniversary coming on Monday, and we’re relaxing with a couple of glasses of single malt while watching the end of the Daytona 500. Ordinarily the roundy rounder racers don’t do much for me but not much else to watch right now.

Congrats on the 36 years, Laker. The world is a tough place on relationships, and that's a testament to love and perseverance.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Congrats on the 36 years, Laker. The world is a tough place on relationships, and that's a testament to love and perseverance.
    Proof positive that there are still matches made in heaven.

I hope you get 36 more, Laker.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Ordinarily the roundy rounder racers don’t do much for me but not much else to watch right now.
    That's OK. MotoGP will be starting in just a few weeks!

Doesn't get any better than this!

https://youtu.be/JY9mrKR5SkA

Ordinarily the roundy rounder racers don’t do much for me but not much else to watch right now.
    I've been watching Supercross.

I'm really much more into vintage flat track racing. There are a couple of friends in this video.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vint...id:EZY1955-DMA

I'm really much more into vintage flat track racing. There are a couple of friends in this video.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vint...id:EZY1955-DMA

I used to watch flat track racing in the '90s. Thanks for that video!