Thread: The Sunday Thread for February 12, 2023. There's A Game Today...

The Sunday Thread for February 12, 2023. There's A Game Today...

I went to bed a little early last night and had a good night's sleep. So, here I am up at 6:00am, which feels entirely normal. The week ahead is training (they have me on a week-on, week-off schedule), so I'll be "on" for a week. My daughter has asked me over for dinner today, so I short road trip this afternoon to see the grandkids! Depending on what time they're ready, I'll head over. I'll probably watch the Super Bowl, but they don't, and I don't really care about the result, so I may leave early before the game is over.

We had a few days of abnormally warm weather. Today will be seasonably cool, but not cold. I think it's going to warm up again mid-week. Take that, Punxsutawney Phil!

Stay well, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for February 12, 2023. There's A Game Today...

Didn't play this weekend - nice to have a break for sure. Went out yesterday for to buy a new 60" TV for the kitchen, dang TV's are getting soooo nice these days. Gets installed Monday.

On the way home stopped by the Cottage for a burger. They've turned the old pool table room into an arcade. Stage is still the same. Lots of old notes echoing in those walls, the place turns 200 years old this year. Been some great albums recorded there. Definitely a mojo to the place. It's supposedly haunted too!

Coming home and found a tree branch hanging off the phone and cable lines. I managed somehow to whack it down into a manageable size with the chain saw where I was able to push it over and around the wires about 12 feet up. Damn thing was about 150 pounds, I'm astounded the wires held up. Explains why the landline wasn't working. Looks like it broke off a tree about 60' away and slid down to where I could see it yesterday.

Countertops go into the kitchen this week and then the final cabinets get installed and remodel will be done. Phew. Mrs. OSA picked out a different ceiling lamp and I installed it myself yesterday. Between that and the overhead chainsaw action my shoulder is beat.

New forward scanning real-time SONAR for the bass boat. Pretty cool. You can actually see the fish's fins moving. Learning curve doesn't look too steep, will be nice to look under docks and into weed beds. That's why I enjoy bass fishing so much. Driving with your feet while interpreting your electronics and making accurate casts is a fun challenge, and the scenery is great. No sharks either - though we do get the occasional gator to deal with in Florida.

Les Paul (Less Paul?) project is officially complete - well as complete as any guitar ever is - and the winning pickups were some cheapo Stew Mac imports. Nice pickups with braided wire and all. My number one Strat is just about at the point where it can't be rebuilt anymore. Parts were falling off at last show. I've been auditioning new Strats and PRS Silver Sky's, the American Professional II Strats are definitely the better instruments IMHO, almost to Custom Shop standards - I'm just not into the VN's totally yet. Working on it. I'm supposed to have a Suhr to try out this month. We'll see how that goes.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Not much happening here behind the Cheddar Curtain with the exception of warmer than normal weather. As a kid I remember winters where we had huge snowplow snow berms on the sides of roads by Thanksgiving and that condition remained up to the beginning of April. This year I was out and about without a jacket at Thanksgiving and we presently mid forties temps with sunny days and no snow on the ground. This has been the strangest winter I can remember.

One good thing that happened this week is I sold my parent’s home to a friend and his wife. Her mother is the next door neighbor to the home so it is pretty cool that it is going to them. That is a load off my mind.

Hope all have a great week!

Beautiful, sunny day here after too much rainy, gray days.

We're working on the garage, trying to set up an area for gardening, one for tools and a workbench. Organization is 90% of success in all things.

I bought some String Swing racks for my some of my guitars and need to get those up.

I've been giving myself an education into recording with Logic and setting up my Apollo Twin processor/interface with it. Thank you YouTube. BTW, recently bought a premium subscription to YouTube so that I don't get interrupted with commercials. In the evening, I often queue up orchestral music on YouTube and let it play while I read.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

we too have been having warmer than normal temperatures. This week I saw bushes that were doing the pre-bud swelling of the branch tips. Mildly disconcerting as we are definitely not through with winter yet. Supposed to hit mid 60s by Thursday and then right back into 30s by Saturday. I've seen entire crops of cherry blossoms destroyed by a late freeze (and probably the rest of the fruit trees as well), so I don't like to see a too-early bloom as nice as it may be

Nothing planned today, there's some sporting event happening I think. I need groceries but I don't feel like dealing with Super Bowl shoppers. I could get by until tomorrow, I did plan a little ahead.

Going to work on the basement today, start trying to figure out where I want to drop stringers for AC receptacle installation. Once we get past my brother's surgery and it looks like we're staying, the real work begins. Tomorrow I go do battle with the cable company for a cheaper rate and drop a lot of our television stuff, it's insane that we spend 172 a month and don't even watch anything but sports and stream movies.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Getting used to new cell phone today. Deleting all the apps that are deletable. LOL. Talk, text, maybe calculator. That's about it for me.

Working on writing a new song. Learning some new songs as well for a group that might be coming together soon.

Heading out for a walk,then back to the woodshed. A fine Sunday indeed.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Getting used to new cell phone today. Deleting all the apps that are deletable. LOL. Talk, text, maybe calculator. That's about it for me.
    Keep the flashlight app. You never know......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Keep the flashlight app. You never know......
    Ha ha! Yup. And the calculator.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Shitty weekend.

Had to take the wife to the hospital last night. Luckily she’s ok.

Lots of family issues to deal with.

Worries regarding my old folks’ health.

Sat to drink my usual Buds and had to listen to a lot of shit while doing that.

You know… good times, bad times.

Good news is I’m working on those Doors songs and played the first band practice session with the new guys. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Shitty weekend.

Had to take the wife to the hospital last night. Luckily she’s ok.

Lots of family issues to deal with.

Worries regarding my old folks’ health.

Sat to drink my usual Buds and had to listen to a lot of shit while doing that.

You know… good times, bad times.

Good news is I’m working on those Doors songs and played the first band practice session with the new guys. Fun.
    I hope your new missus and family are AOK Mr. Cane.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I hope your new missus and family are AOK Mr. Cane.
    +1!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Missed Sunday, again... lazy day yesterday. Not much of a football fan, but enjoyed the game - Rihanna sucked, but I feel that way about most half-time shows.

Finished recording another song. It's a draft - need to fix a few things, but it's 80% there. Lots of harmonies planned. We're going to record a few songs and then bring a vocalist in to add them all in one shot later.

https://soundcloud.com/user-78574690...songs-you-sing

We finished a second song but it's nowhere near what I wanted it to sound like, so I'm going to redo it all from the beginning.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I liked the arrangement, GJ!