Thread: The Acoustic Lounge

The Acoustic Lounge

I think we could use a thread to discuss all kinds of things regarding our acoustics.

What do you have? What string gauge do you like to use?

Re: The Acoustic Lounge

I'm in. Thanks for starting the thread, Mr. Cane. I find myself playing more acoustic than electric these days, primarily out of laziness, but also because the folk club I belong to isn't set up for electric instruments. That said, I do have my newly revitalized EC Stratocaster (replaced the battery) close at hand.

That said, I tend to use a more medium gauge on my acoustics with a wound G. I have a heavy attack despite being cursed with small hands. The down side for me is that when I switch to electric I have to ease off, or I find myself bending notes when I don't mean to, and that just sounds... awful.

I bought a bulk order of D'Addario 80/20 Bronze EJ11 (they call them "light gauge:" .012 - .054) but I have an affinity for Stringjoys. Their Naturals (also a phosphor/bronze) in .012 - .054. Their Earthwood series is a little warmer sound, although I like a brighter and what I consider more "balanced" tone that I get from the D'Addarios. My preferred gauge on my acoustics is .012 - .054 to .056. And like I said I like a wound G string.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I put .9s on mine and never looked back

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    I put .9s on mine and never looked back
    But aren't you primarily an electric player? I would think the "touch" used on an electric would translate better to an acoustic than vice-versa. My biggest challenge has been using more open chords on acoustic as opposed to barre chords on an electric. And I don't play as high on the neck on acoustic as I do on an electric.
    Striving to be ordinary

I focus most of my time on on acoustic playing. Since my hand injury Ive sounded like I'm strumming with my feet. I need to relearn everything. Muscle memory is so much harder to undo than to learn it to begin with.

I have been fortunate to collect some nice acoustics, starting with a 1972 Gibson J-40 that I bought new back then for $269. That was my main squeeze until many years later. Since then I've acquired:

Gibson J-200
    Gibson Hummingbird
    Gibson HP665SB (parlor sized)

I also got on a Guild kick after touring their New Hartford factory at a few events put on by Fender/Guild. During one of their events they sold off some guitars at crazy prices and I bought a D-55 Factory second. Later, when Fender sold Guild, and they blew out their inventory, I got an F-30 Aragon and a F47 RC (both smaller bodied guitars) The F-30 is probably my favorite to play. Somewhere along the way I also got a Guild F-212 XL 12 String.

There are a couple other cheaper ones hanging around - including an Aria classical and an Ovation Applause which substitutes nicely for a canoe paddle.

I generally use Elixer Nanowebs, because who wants to change all those strings (12's)... they last quite a while between changes. The 80-20's sound good to me - The phosphors don't cut it for me.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    But aren't you primarily an electric player? I would think the "touch" used on an electric would translate better to an acoustic than vice-versa. My biggest challenge has been using more open chords on acoustic as opposed to barre chords on an electric. And I don't play as high on the neck on acoustic as I do on an electric.

Indeed I am. Actually, having been a classical (nylon) player and this Washburn being my first ever steel strung acoustic, I thought it was very harsh at first, hard to press the strings even with a low action. Then I put .9s instead of the 13s it originally had. Now it’s sweet.

9's on an acoustic just wash out the sound, if you ask me. And your Washburn is a parlor guitar, right? It already has less bottom that larger acoustics. I love my little KLŌS travel guitar, but it suffers from the same lack of bottom. And, since it's a carbon fiber body, it suffers even more from not having a tonewood body.

Just to compare sizes. Full-size Strat and KLŌS travel guitar.

Striving to be ordinary

Yes, it’s a parlor. But it’s not as small as a travel guitar.

Anyway, when I need it to sound full I use a Dean Markley humbucker and plug it:

I must say I’m surprised. I never thought I’d bond with this little cheap acoustic, but I did.

Anyway, I finished the Berklee course by playing it and singing, and it just grew on me. I wanted to upgrade it and gave it a set of ebony pins with abalone inlays to replace the cheap plastic ones it came with:

I chose these because the abalone matches the abalone rosette:

Next step will probably be a better set of tuners. It came with a bone nut which works fine.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Strings for acoustics is a journey. I have no set brand/type/gauge I go to. I let the instrument tell me what it wants. Frustrating as I haven’t kept a good log of what for which. Something to rectify this month. I tend to keep the old packaging in each case to remind me.
    only item I remember is for my Guild 12 string. DAddario nickel bronze with a high 9.
    the Martin OOOI am still in a search for. Have some Pearse PBs I want l to try.
    Mark

My D-55 came with a DTAR Multisource pickup which blends an under saddle pickup with a internal microphone. It sounded so good live that had them them installed in almost every other acoustic.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I don't have a great photo of my main acoustic guitar, but I did find an online catalog. I got mine in Dallas, TX in the early 1980's. Its the ARIA Pro II PW25. We've used it on most of our recordings. The binding on the body has cracked and fallen off in places, but I put some wood glue on those spots to stabilize it. I also have an EPI 12 string that is in sad shape. My efforts to fix it with epoxy around the neck block have only made it worse.

"When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Well if we are going to do an anything acoustic in this thread, Here’s my assortment:
    Guild 12 string, Guild jumbo jr, Goodall CJ (HI made), Alvarez BG (their D18 equal), Martin OOO, Goldtone Beard resonator. Non guitar items, Goldtone 6 string bango, Goldtone 12 string mandolin, Boulder Creek bass.
    Mark

I have an extremely well-travelled Balladeer Special that has too many miles on it to count since I bought it new. The original satin finish has worn to a gloss. Stills sounds great night after night, inside, outside, wherever. I have some foam stuffed inside to tame feedback but other than that all I've done with it for decades is change batteries and strings. Doubles as a canoe paddle in case of floods.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I've been making a lot of noise about giving my first new guitar a face lift. I bought this in 1971, brand new. It's a Framus 12-string. At the time, Framus was the largest guitar maker in Europe. John Lennon played one, Bill Wyman played a Framus bass, and other "names" were on the stage with them. The company went bankrupt in 1975 for a number of reasons and was revived under the Warwick brand by the founder's son in 1995. Pretty much all the history of the company was lost as a result of the bankruptcy, so finding information on it is nearly impossible.

My avariciousness... er, GAS, has led me to adding a number of acoustics to my stable. From the top end, a Taylor 652ce Builders Edition all the way down to a cheap Gretsch Jim Dandy, which is a fine and fun little parlor guitar. This forum's software allows for table creation, so perhaps I'll put together one as a list.
    Striving to be ordinary

COVID found the world huddling in our homes, and partially as a result I turned back to playing acoustic guitar. Since I now sometimes play live at an acoustic club, I've found that my electrics have often taken a back seat to my playing. Above, I spoke of my first new guitar (my first guitar was a throwaway piece of junk I bought for $10 from my high school best friend). In 2016, I decided to add a six-string acoustic and bought a not very impressive Taylor Big Baby Taylor E. Today, my acoustic collection ranges from a cheap, but lovable Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy to a gorgeous Taylor Builders Edition 652ce 12-string. Here's my acoustic guitar breakdown:

Make Model Year
    Framus 12-string 1971
    Taylor Big Baby Taylor-E 2016
    James D. Fellows Nylon String Classical 2018*
    KLŌS Carbon Fiber Travel 2018
    Martin LX1RE Travel 2020
    Martin OMC-15ME 2020
    Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2020
    Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy 2020
    Breedlove Signature Companion Copper CE 2021
    Martin DJr-10E 2021
    Taylor 652ce Builders Edition 2022
    Taylor 322ce 2022
    Furch LJ10-CM "Little Jane" 2022
    Martin 000Jr-10E Shawn Mendes 2022

My three "go-to" acoustics (the ones on stands in my living room that I grab every time the urge strikes are the GS Mini, the Martin DJr-10E and the Furch Little Jane. My KLŌS is in my computer room for the same reason.

* The Fellows guitar was given to me by a friend who was cleaning out his basement. As a college student his sister had bought this handmade guitar 44 years (now 49 years) ago from the builder, thinking of learning how to play guitar. She never did, and it stayed in his basement ever since. Rather than throw it out, he gave it to me. I actually managed to contact the builder (who still makes about two guitars a year) and he told me it was Number 7. Number 8 is actually used by a concert guitarist in performance!
    Striving to be ordinary

Every time I walked into a venue and heard a great acoustic guitar sound coming from the stage, I walked over to see what the guy was playing. Every time it was a Martin. I bought a Martin Siris acoustic. Great guitar!

I know the thick string guys are going to get in an uproar over this but, I play .010 to .047 strings on it. Most times, I'll swap out the .010 for a .011 and I find these strings sound so full and lush through my Acoustasonic or the PA system. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it for myself. It doesn't have that piano-like snap on the low end, but man, the rest of it sounds so sweet!

I'm a Martin man.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I would love to own a small bodied Martin but they’re AWFULLY expensive here.

I like small acoustics, they have this “stagecoach” thing to them, a 12 gauge and a black Stetson hat always come to mi mind when I see or play them. That’s what made me choose this little Washburn when I wanted to get myself a cheap acoustic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post

I'm a Martin man.

I love them too. This model that John Mayer developed with them is superb:

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    I love them too. This model that John Mayer developed with them is superb:

This one is very similar to mine. It's like a 000 size, and sounds terrific with light gauge strings on it!

https://telluridemusiccompany.com/pr...-siris-1571873
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Acoustics thread

How about a thread on acoustic instruments. Some of the other pubs and threads touch on them. We could locate them here.

Thoughts?
    Mark

Re: Acoustics thread

I use Ovations. Take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Have a blender for onboard mic and piezos. Been performing with them for decades and never had a single problem. One of the most feedback resistant too.

Plus, if it floods you can use them for a paddle and still play the show with it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    How about a thread on acoustic instruments. Some of the other pubs and threads touch on them. We could locate them here.

Thoughts?
    Since I've been playing acoustics more than electrics most of my life, I'm okay with a thread like this. Are you suggesting using this thread, or having a subforum created for it?

Striving to be ordinary

Either / or
    Mark

I suspect we could keep this thread busy! I consider myself an acoustic player who owns a few electric guitars. I favor the "G" brand acoustics - Gibson and Guild. Got a few of each and love them all. Right now my #1 go-to is my Guild D-55.

There used to be an Acoustic Forum attached to here and the LPF, but it really didn't get a ton of action like these two do. But enough that a sub forum might be an option.
    I have a pair of Martins, an HD-28 and a D-18. Great guitars, though different to each other.
    I also have a couple junkers, a 6 string that came from an apartment my landlord was cleaning out and he asked if I wanted it, and a 12string that I bought ages ago. Along with an Applause by Ovation, I mostly use that as a party guitar, one I take when I don't care if it would get wrecked.
    I go in phases that I'll play acoustic a lot for a while, then i don't touch one of them for weeks or more at a time.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I'm the exact opposite. I blame it on laziness, but I play mostly acoustic because I can just grab one and play, whereas if I want to plug in, I have to (possibly) move the amp, turn it on, plug in the cable (both ends), adjust the volume and tone and then start playing. Too much work.

Right now, I have in my play area, two acoustics (Taylor 652ce Builders Edition 12-string, Furch LJCM-10 Little Jane) and my Ibanez AG95QA archtop. All of them can be plugged in, but only the Ibby sounds soulless without electrification. I have no shortage of amps, either. My Fender Champion 40 sits in a corner, but my Positve Grid SPARK MINI and SPARK GO are both (currently) on my coffee table. Having small, battery-powered amps reduces the laziness factor, and helps me prepare for the nights I have to plug in, even when playing acoustically.
    Striving to be ordinary

About 50 % of my playing at home is on acoustic (even working up initial thoughts for parts on electric).

Before I moved I had a couple gigs a quarter that were 4 days long (6-8 hours each day) on acoustic. Mainly sing along stuff.
    When COVID hit, another weekly gig went fully acoustic for quite a while.

Post move, not so much calling on acoustic (they want you to sing as well).

I do have a good selection of acoustics from my pre-move needs.

Goodall Concert Jumbo (RW concert)
    71 Martin D-28 (RW dread)
    Martin 000-18 (concert sized hog body)
    Alvarez BMG (something or other) (dread Hog body - a D-18 killer)
    Guild (off shore) maple jumbo 12 string (my fav)
    Guild (off shore) maple jumbo 6 string (my newest)
    Goldtone Paul Beard hog body resonator
    Goldtone 6 string (high end) banjitar - tuned as a guitar (thing weighs a ton and makes Norlin era LPs cry when it comes to weight)(Banjos are heavy)
    Goldtone 12 string mandolin tuned as a 12 string guitar
    Boulder Creek 4 string bass

all have pickups in them

I can run them through my Fractal unit, a dedicated acoustic rig (TRex Soul mate), or a Boss Acoustic Singer Pro.
    I haven't yet taken the time to create patches for them in the 2) Helix LTs I have.

Yes, I some investment into acoustics.
    Mark

Forum Member

I have a 2008 Taylor GA4 and I love it. Covers my acoustic needs. I need to play it more, I think I fall into the scarcity trap with electrics, I can’t do it often at home so I always play it, but I think it’s good to play acoustic (if anything for hand strength) plus to mitigate boredom with always playing electric. Haven’t been bored yet on electric but I’m sure it could happen. Also want to be a well rounded player and I get tapped out easily on genres. No idea how someone can go their entire career just playing electric blues for example.

Plus I need to have some acoustic songs in the back pocket in an impromptu jam scenario. “Hey, you play guitar! Here’s my guitar can you play something?”
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Here's part of my acoustic family...

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    You don't like cutaways, do you?

I get it. I once thought cutaways were an abomination. But over the years I've found they make playing the high notes easier. Now, I actually prefer a cutaway.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post

Thats a nice looking family. Quite nice.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    You don't like cutaways, do you?

I get it. I once thought cutaways were an abomination. But over the years I've found they make playing the high notes easier. Now, I actually prefer a cutaway.
    I have a couple cutaways - Guild F47RC (Rosewood Body, cutaway)

and a Gibson HP 665 SB (This was a prototype - Gibson sent a pickguard later on...

Last, but not least (Probably my favorite acoustic) my Guild F-30 Aragon. Just a sweet playing guitar. I do have a cheapo Korean made Ovation - better for paddling a canoe than playing music.

Agreed
    Mark

TFF Stage Crew

Done.
    I have a number of different acoustic guitars, but I prefer Martins. I bought a J40 & J40M years ago. Although the binding has popped at the waist on both of them (a common problem), I still think they are the absolute best guitars.
    That said, I would like to have a D18 at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Done.
    I have a number of different acoustic guitars, but I prefer Martins. I bought a J40 & J40M years ago. Although the binding has popped at the waist on both of them (a common problem), I still think they are the absolute best guitars.
    That said, I would like to have a D18 at some point
    Thanks, Robert.

I have four Martins, but only two of them I consider worthy the name. I go back and forth with my OMC 15ME Streetmaster, though. I bought it because it LOOKS like a beater guitar (mine is the "weathered red" finish) and I thought I could carry it around and not worry if it became a ding magnet. Sometimes I think it plays and sounds great and other times I feel it's just a boat anchor. Go figure.
    Striving to be ordinary

Good guitars are like women. It’s only when they are in the mood.

someone better put this into their signature LOL
    Mark