Thread: Yikes! It's the Sunday Thread for February (Is It February, Already?) 5, 2023

Yikes! It's the Sunday Thread for February (Is It February, Already?) 5, 2023

Either the clock has sped up or I've been running in slow motion this weekend. I got a notion for something I wanted to do, and as I am wont to do, sat down at the computer and churned out a bit of code. Making a computer do something is what got me interested in the field in the first place. In a way, it's the same attraction that I have with the guitar. I'm better at coding than I am a playing.

So, it's now after 9:00 am and there's still no Sunday thread, so I'm opening this up for check-ins. How is everyone? Mr. Cane, sorry to hear about your thumb. Did you take off only flesh, or did you get into muscle, tendon, bone? Speedy recovery, my friend.

And hoping everyone else is in good health on this mid-winter (northern hemisphere) day.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Yikes! It's the Sunday Thread for February (Is It February, Already?) 5, 2023

I just woke up, had my coffee and checked in here. I was actually just starting to draft a Sunday thread when this one popped up! This week was slow - a couple meetings canceled and some in our office out with COVID, so it was really quiet. Actually several people within my orbit are down with COVID right now - it sure ain't over! It got really cold yesterday, as predicted (-7 at our house), and now it's already warming up again (40+ today!). In Connecticut, in January, not one day had a high below freezing. Very unusual for us! Meanwhile Mt. Washington had insane cold/wind Wind gusts - 108 mph, wind chill -108!

I love that place, but will wait until July. This week wil lbe wierd. A good friend's mother died last week, as did my brother's ex-wife. Lots of funerals to attend.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Yikes! It's the Sunday Thread for February (Is It February, Already?) 5, 2023

Got a late start to the day and not much to say, so hope all have a great Sunday!

I got up early to work on my "new" 1969 Bandmaster Reverb, only to find that my multi-meter is not accurately measuring resistance, but measures voltages OK. Maybe it just needs a new 9V battery? I've been able to measure my plate, screen and grid voltages, but can't actually calculate the idle plate dissipation of the power tubes, but they aren't red plating, which is good. After a few days last week where we didn't get out of the 40's F, today they are predicting a high of 71F, so that will be nice.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

It's been unusually cold for weeks now, I need to cast some more bullets, (I have to load for 3!) Supposed to be 69 today, so maybe I can cast a thousand or so!

whew, that was one vicious cold spell. I can remember when we used to get those for about 10 days in a row in mid-January, when we'd have 3-4 days when the highs wouldn't get above zero. When it finally hit 30 degrees again, it actually felt warm. We'd get a thaw where the temps would hit 40s and then the cruelest month of all, February would ensue. Crazy as a psycho ex-girlfriend/wife. Colder than hell, then 50, 60 degrees and right back into the freezer.

My brother made it back from Florida but not with out difficulties. 2 miles from his girlfriend's house in MA, their rental mini-van broke down. They had to transfer to a replacement vehicle and regretted their decision to take nearly all their earthly possessions on the trip. Just kidding but they didn't pack light, just the two of them for 10 days. Had to swap vehicles in sub-zero temps with a howling wind.

Finally we're back to 'normal' winter temps, and are due to hit 45 this afternoon. I'm going to the store to get some burger and chicken, grill them up. Not much going on this weekend, all-star break for hockey, no football (I don't count pro bowl), Celtics play tomorrow. Good day for guitar if my brother isn't doing too much work to catch up on his vacation. He does work on the road so it won't be a complete dumpster fire when he gets back.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I had the pleasure of fixing a frozen pipe at my girl's place yesterday. It has been a long standing problem brought on by a ham-fisted plumbing maneuver where the hot water was brought up from the basement alongside the front door of the house. Hey, it's Vermont, Nuf said.

I got to stand on a ladder half the morning with my hands up above my head, (I don't do that well), and install a heat strip pipe heater. I only needed to cover a 3 ft length, but the shortest heater was 7 feet long, so I doubled it back along the other side of the pipe. But that wasn't enough. I had enough play in the hot and cold lines to wrap them together before they disappeared into the wall, giving me the added advantage of the hot water pipe helping to thaw the cold water pipe when necessary. We are covered on all fronts. Now I need to go rest my arms!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.