Thread: The Thread for the last Sunday of January 2023

The Thread for the last Sunday of January 2023

Well, here it is 3:30 in the morning so I thought I might as well kick this thread off for the last Sunday of January before I head out the door to shovel snow. This is the third time in the same number of days that I’m out there pushing that shovel and I’m getting a little sick of doing this.

Hope all have a great Sunday and new week.

That was a WORKOUT! An hour and three quarters in 15° temps and 25 miles per hour winds. The fingers are a tad frozen. I had a visit to the cardiologist and an echocardiogram last week so, based on what the doc said, I figured I’d give it the old “stress test”.
    Last edited by Laker; 01-29-2023 at 04:23 AM.

Re: The Thread for the last Sunday of January 2023

Not as great a workout @Laker, but I helped move a number of tables load them into a van and drove them to a charity pickup center, then re-covered some chairs yesterday at a day-long church event. I'm feeling the muscles, too.

Yesterday was my sister's birthday and today is my daughter's. I've sent them both wishes, and my daughter has received the gift I sent her. I doubt I'll see her today, but if the topic comes up...

Otherwise, I'm planning on another plain, ol' Sunday. I'll watch the NFL conference championships even though I don't have a stake in the outcome. It's supposed to rain, so I'm going to try to get out early and get some exercise in.

Stay well, everyone.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Yesterday I did some work, did some recon on flooring and tiles for a planned home build, then played bass at a church. This AM going to church, prepare for 2 job interviews tomorrow, catch a bit of football, then off to play bass for the evening service at the church I attend.

I opted to play for the Middle School and High School students at my church as they have their own services (3 between them) as I was hoping to get more guitar time. Well at 1st I did, but what the local guitar store told me a year ago is true, there are so few capable bass players in the area, once they realize you play bass, you will constantly do it.

Proving true, my 1st gig of the year was guitar, I’m booked every Thurs, Sat and Sun through the end of Feb on bass. LOL
    Mark

I should feel guilty - I did next to nothing yesterday (but I don't)! Today I'll go grocery shopping and work on re-learning guitar. Spending time recording again on Friday showed me how much I've slipped. We did make some good progress. Got two songs at a point where we can start doing final vocals. It's a differernt process than the one I did with Charlie Karp, but this new guy knows his stuff and the time goes quickly. Having a lot of fun in the process. Thanks to TeleBob for making the connection!

This week will drag a bit - depending on the weather I have one night out but it is scheduled to snow that night and they will probably cancel (just like a meeting last week).

Have a great week!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

enjoying my week of having the house to myself. Next month my brother has surgery and it will be a 3-4 months of recovery so I got to enjoy my alone time while I can.

took a tumble yesterday at the grocery store. some asshat left a bottle of soda on the floor, I kicked it with my right foot and it went under my left foot like a ball bearing and sent me down. I was carrying some meats and cheeses, no cart or basket. Thank goodness for karate training, aside from a tiny bit of subluxation in my left hip nothing untoward happened. I'll see my chiropractor on Tuesday for my regular appointment and get that adjusted.

we have dodged snow this past storm, almost 5" of precipitation and no shoveling. I can live with that. At the moment nothing on the 10 day outlook except for some pretty gnarly cold by the end of the week. My brother comes back from FL in time for a single digit high and a double digit negative low. He might be thinking about moving down there after this weekend.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Damn, I keep missing this by a day.

Yesterday, I played through a long list of songs for an upcoming open mic co-hosting gig on Thursday.

Transposed one of the player's original songs to use a capo in a different position so the guitars don't sound I dentical.

Went for a walk in the woods.

Filled orders for my specialty ruler and tape measure business.

Watched some TV, and started enjoying the series, Shark.

A nice day. Productive!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Spent too much of the day fine-tuning my Les Paul build. I had levelled and crowned the frets but like any new guitar there's always that little issue here or there. A few strokes of the fret file took care of any less than perfect sounds on the fretboard, and then a quick polish.

Weather is too cold for summer sports and too warm for winter sports so not much happening.

Good news is that my remodel of the house is starting into the exciting phase, New floors go in this week. Kitchen cabinets are mostly in and appliances should all be here by end of the week. I've got a special guitar that's being put on the wall and some paintings to hang. That and a big screen in my kitchen - woohoo!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Good news is that my remodel of the house is starting into the exciting phase, New floors go in this week. Kitchen cabinets are mostly in and appliances should all be here by end of the week. I've got a special guitar that's being put on the wall and some paintings to hang. That and a big screen in my kitchen - woohoo!

Chuck
    With our remodel the subfloor was removed in our kitchen and dining room to run new electrical and furnace ductwork. Along with that we had plumbing rerouted because the dishwasher was moved 90° from the wall it was originally on and the kitchen sink was moved. I had to order new kitchen appliances almost a year in advance because there was a shortage of parts/availability. It was so nice when we could actually get back to using our kitchen and living in our home.
    Last edited by Laker; 01-31-2023 at 08:18 AM.

I ordered appliances last June. We had our old fridge moved to another room and a temporary sink installed so not too bad. All in all it's going pretty smoothly, the contractor we chose is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim