Thread: The Sunday Thread for January 22, 2023

The Sunday Thread for January 22, 2023

What? Again? It's 7:30am my time and still no Sunday thread?? You guys are turning into slackers!

Well, if it's anything there like it is here, that might be explainable. Nothing's happening.

I have a week ahead of training, but today is going to be my Sunday routine: Church in the a.m., some exercise, watch some TV, play some guitar, cook, you know, the basics.

Maybe y'all got something more exciting going on?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for January 22, 2023

Nothing exciting here in Connecticut. Worked yesterday, although it wasn't really work. I was facilitating a workshop with four boards of ed who share a common central office. They've been working to consolidate so that the three elementary districts are aligned academically. The superintendent was going to share his draft of the combined strategic plan and then I was going to walk the boards though how they could best support the plan. We started at 8:30 and the plan was for a hard stop at noon. The super finished his presentation at 12:05. They did give me ten minutes to at least react to his presentation, which was stellar, but I basically drove 2 hours for ten minutes of actual work.

Really planning on grabbing a guitar and playing some today. Since I started recording again it has become obvious how much my playing has atrophied. The finger injury really messed me up, and I have to relearn a bunch - the muscle memory has all but disappeared. If I'm going to contribute at all to the Rochester jam in June I need to get back what few chops I had.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Typical Sunday. Played last night out of town but it was an early show, back home and between the sheets by midnight. I'll spend this AM putting a few more coats of clear on the Les Paul build, then off to watch the Bills with my fishing crew. After that if I get motivated I may look at fixing the loose bow eye on my bass boat.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

My gf and I volunteer to clean the local dog shelter on the weekends, so that’s our morning. The group we are in helps to adopt out dogs and cats and offers financial assistance for spaying and neutering. Trap and release spaying program for stray cats. I’m also putting together a story video for the greatest dog who needs a home. He’s deaf, and that’s causing him to be passed over.

Otherwise cleaning out the garage here. I have started writing a column for our local newspaper and am working on a piece, and if my hand isn’t too bad, maybe going to get back to recording music.

Have a great day, everyone.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I’m close to having my parent’s house emptied out so I can put it on the market. Last week I had St Vinnys in and they picked up two bedroom set along with the living room and kitchen furniture. A friend picked up my mother’s china and a three piece sectional with the blond end tables and coffee table from the basement. Today we’ll bag the last mattress and put it with its box spring out on the curb for garbage pick up on Monday. I can’t wait to be done with this process.

Hope all have a good week.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Been a bass gig weekend with 3 gigs. Snowing more than what they called for so I’ll probably watch some football and start packing away the Christmas village. All other holiday stuff is done.
    Mark

up early by my standards. Yesterday was a day of recovery from Friday's shoveling. Well, that and I went out to see a band Friday night. Brutal heavy snow, at least it wasn't a wicked windy cold day. Going to have to trim the driveway some before the new shit falls.

I finally fired up the half stack in the basement for the first time since moving 90% of my stuff into that side of the cellar. Last night, I played while my brother was directly above me in his office chair where he watches movies on his laptop. I played like I would if he wasn't home. The first chord was loud, I should have tried the 'frog in boiling water' trick first. Play soft and gradually bring it up. Anyway, once I was settled down, he said he could hear it but it wasn't overbearing. We agreed that if I wanted to play at night, that I just tell him and he can use headphones. I've got to play more, my chops are atrophied as well.

Going to hit the grocery store, grill a burger before the snow starts, watch some football and stay home warm and dry until tomorrow morning's shoveling starts.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Haven’t been very active here for the last few days, just finished an online music production course offered by Berklee College of Music. Very nice, I learned a lot!

Hard to record the final assignments as I had a domestic accident (chopped off the tip of my thumb while chopping onions for dinner). Had to sing and play acoustic guitar for the tests instead of submitting the electric blues lines I had planned. But I ended up doing fine.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    (chopped off the tip of my thumb while chopping onions for dinner)
    Unlike a gun, a knife is always loaded......be careful!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Unlike a gun, a knife is always loaded......be careful!

Yeah, stupid accident. Got distracted when one of our dogs rushed into the kitchen and voilá: wife had to drive me to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Haven’t been very active here for the last few days, just finished an online music production course offered by Berklee College of Music. Very nice, I learned a lot!

Hard to record the final assignments as I had a domestic accident (chopped off the tip of my thumb while chopping onions for dinner). Had to sing and play acoustic guitar for the tests instead of submitting the electric blues lines I had planned. But I ended up doing fine.
    Welcome to the <10 digits club!

Hope you are OK!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Late to the party here. Guess I was a little too busy to type.

Started off with coffee and a lemon poppyseed scone at the local earthy-crunchy cafe.
    Walked around the woods in the snow with my girlfriend.
    Trip to Home Depot to buy toilet valve/flusher parts. Crazy just how much a toilet works like a carburator.
    Picked up a bag of ice melt and a thermal coffee cup at Tractor Supply.
    Put those silver shields across the windshields in preparation for the storm.

This is how they do the weather report up here in the north. LOL! https://www.facebook.com/HillbillyWe...68576962133365

Then I replaced the toilet innards, and it now flushes like a champ!

Played some guitar for my grandnephew who's 14 months old, but has an incredible sense of music. The kid loves it!

Made some late dinner, watched a lame movie, and went all "Barry White on my girl before falling asleep.

A stellar day indeed.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.