Thread: I Love Blue Jeans

I Love Blue Jeans

I'm a blue jeans wearer. Ever since my mom bought me "dungarees" from the Sears store, I've loved blue jeans. Mom loved them because they were tough, and when I'd tear a hole in the knees, she could patch them. I even loved the flannel-lined jeans.

During high school I'd buy Levi's, stiff as a board and dark indigo -- there was no other choice. I'd struggle to get them on, then climb into a tub of hot water. The indigo dye would run and I'd wear wet jeans until they dried out. That's how "shrink to fit" was born! In college, I favored the Levi's 517 "orange tab" with a flare leg (this was the day of bell-bottoms, mind you). I wore boots almost exclusively, but "flare leg" wasn't the same as "boot cut." 517s are no longer made.

In fact, Levi started cutting corners and making their jeans in Mexico. Gone was the patch on the back stating, "Each pair guaranteed," and the quality of both the cloth and the workmanship deteriorated. I found them to now fit poorly so I started wearing Lee jeans.

Both Lee and Levi (the two major brands -- I've never found Wranglers to fit me well) have, like so many other brands, become shadows of their former greatness. Rather than focus on making durable, tough jeans, they've gone into the acid-washed-pre-bleached-worn-by-supermodels-tres-chic stuff, and they fall apart in short order.

But a couple of years ago I became aware of a brand made in the USA, and their lineup is only a handful of fits and models.
    Texas Jeans. They are slightly more expensive than Kmart's Lee and Levi's, but they fit well, and have the features the others have lost: seven belt loops, double stitching, and a fit that says, "Ahhh."

Last night, I was enjoying a dessert of chocolate-covered ice cream on a stick, and unbeknownst to me, dropped some of the chocolate icing on my jeans. I didn't notice until I was preparing for bed, so I knew I was going to have to wash them. I did so this morning. But the chocolate has left a "stain" on the pants leg.

This would be a cause to toss out another garment, in my opinion, but heck, these are jeans. I wear jeans seven days a week, washing them about once a week. The way I figure it, jeans are meant to get dirty, greasy, grimy and beaten up. So, in addition to being comfortable and never being out of style, the fact that they don't offend by showing stains and fraying and wear, that's why I love jeans!

Do you love jeans, also? Or do you have a favorite piece or type of apparel (e.g. hat, jacket, vest) that instantly makes you identifiable to your friends?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: I Love Blue Jeans

I purchase another “made in America” brand from Oklahoma, Roundhouse jeans. They make Levi’s look like the cheap Chinese product they really are.

What makes me identifiable to my friends is that I always wear Harley shirts.

https://www.round-house.com/

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Pocket Tee's and chinos do it for me. Timeless, durable, and easy on the wallet.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I ditched Levis when we were still wearing bellbottoms. Generally wear Wranglers most of the time, they hold up well, still have a "watch" pocket, (good place for picks, or a flash drive.)

I occasionally switch to the dark side and wear black jeans. But only for formal events...
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I only have one pair of jeans. They are probably 20 years old and probably too big for me now. I wear shorts 98% of the time because of the hot and humid climate I live in. On the few days of the year when it's cold I put on a pair of my old "business casual" slacks.

The thing that has identified me for the last 10 years or so is I always wear a baseball cap, indoors and out, with my pony tail thru the open space above the adjustment strap in the back. When I do come out of the shower and let my hair dry in front of a fan for a few minutes, my cat's look at me funny like they don't recognize me.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

What's the feline linguistic equivalent for "WTF"?

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Jeans fan here as well.

However, my standards are not as high… Been wearing Levi’s my entire life, and being a child of the 70s in a country where American denim goods were obviously imported and expensive, I never really knew the heavy fabric Levi’s you guys often talk about.

What we do have here is the standard Mexican made jeans and to me they’re much better fitting and longer lasting than most Diesel, CK and whatever else they sell to posers. Wrangler and Lee are also available but those never fit me right anyway.

All my jeans trousers are 501s or boot cuts. Dark blue or light powder blue.

I also experience this kind of product appreciation regarding Converse Chucks. The standard ones they sell today are much cheaper and lighter than the ones I began to wear in ‘85 or around that but actually these are better than the “70s style” they are making today; thicker canvas upper, thicker and heavier soles and laces, plus they fall apart sooner… I bought and wasted three pairs to the point that they could no longer be glued back together. No no. Too heavy and callus unfriendly. The cheapo ones actually feel better and last longer.

A pair of light colored blue Levi’s still has something special to them. The darker ones fade too soon IMHO. But they’re still the best bang for the buck regarding ordinary jeans.

@phantommam I also love plain one pocket or no pocket tees.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I only have one pair of jeans. They are probably 20 years old and probably too big for me now. I wear shorts 98% of the time because of the hot and humid climate I live in. On the few days of the year when it's cold I put on a pair of my old "business casual" slacks.

The thing that has identified me for the last 10 years or so is I always wear a baseball cap, indoors and out, with my pony tail thru the open space above the adjustment strap in the back. When I do come out of the shower and let my hair dry in front of a fan for a few minutes, my cat's look at me funny like they don't recognize me.
    you’d feel good in Brazil. We spend most of the time in shorts and flip flops too

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    you’d feel good in Brazil. We spend most of the time in shorts and flip flops too
    I don’t think I’ve ever spent too much time in shorts on the Harley. I’d hate to get the kneecaps sunburned.

Btw one of my most praised garment pieces is my Levi’s 1967 style trucker jacket, I love it

pretty much the only blue jeans I wear these days is a Riggs denim work shirt, that I wear as a jacket or light house coat for lack of a better term. For when a long sleeve t shirt isn't warm enough and a sweater is too much. Since I got these, I don't wear sweaters at all any more. I layer with a liner from my overcoat, and an over coat. If 4 layers wasn't enough, I don't go outside. I've yet to encounter that. I love denim pants but Carhartt has gotten my business with that cell phone pocket. And they are way more durable than Levis. I've yet to wear a hole anywhere on them. The only place that gets wear is the hem of the legs.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

LOL, this thread reminds me that my New Year's Resolution was stop leaving the house looking like a homeless person. So far I am failing miserably.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim