Thread: RIP Jeff Beck

RIP Jeff Beck

So sad….

Re: RIP Jeff Beck

I just now heard that on the TV news. I was never a great fan of his music, but I do recognize his talent.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Another of the all time greats -- legends -- gone.
    Thanks for all the music.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Oh, no. One of my top three guitar heroes.

I feel an empty space in my soul.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I heard the news a bit ago.
    Jeff was awesome. He’s the only guitarist that while watching live (saw him 3x) that halfway through I wanted to give up guitar (as I could never do what he does).

This one hit me hard.
    Mark

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I remember seeing him live in St. Louis right after "Truth" was released. Nazz was the opening act and it was one awesome show. In tribute today, I'm listening to his iconic Beck, Bogart & Appice album.

RIP
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

I'm in a bit of a shock here. Such a loss.

I never was a fan so to speak but he was influential to so many musicians

I forget the article/interview I read/saw, but I seem to recall that Jeff Beck's number one passion was cars. He built, drove and showed hot rods he'd built or modified, and in his words, “If I worried about my fingers, I’d never pick up a pair of pliers.”

Jeff Beck Has a Phenomenal Car Collection

So, not only was he one of the world's premier guitarists, he was also quite the motor enthusiast!

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I forget the article/interview I read/saw, but I seem to recall that Jeff Beck's number one passion was cars. He built, drove and showed hot rods he'd built or modified, and in his words, “If I worried about my fingers, I’d never pick up a pair of pliers.”

Jeff Beck Has a Phenomenal Car Collection

So, not only was he one of the world's premier guitarists, he was also quite the motor enthusiast!

Many famous guitar players are also car enthusiasts. Kenny Wayne Shepherd also likes muscle cars and owns a few.

What a great long life he lived. One of the most talented guitar wizards ever. He had a terrific career, playing with some of the most revered musicians on the planet. He will be missed, but never forgotten.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Loved him and regularly bought his albums and CDs. I especially loved his work on Roger Waters’s best album, Amused to Death. Beck’s own songs could be over the top at times, but he was one of the greatest at making others’ great songs even greater.

And yes, he was as much a car enthusiast as a guitar guy.

Seventy-eight is a good long life. It’s amazing how many of our 1960s and 1970s heroes are still active and productive. Sadly their deaths are going to come more rapidly. They might look young or at least energetic, but the human body knows how old we are.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I appreciated that he got his daughter working with him, (she's a bass player), she had to get a lot of enjoyment from that!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Loved him and regularly bought his albums and CDs. I especially loved his work on Roger Waters’s best album, Amused to Death. Beck’s own songs could be over the top at times, but he was one of the greatest at making others’ great songs even greater.

And yes, he was as much a car enthusiast as a guitar guy.

Seventy-eight is a good long life. It’s amazing how many of our 1960s and 1970s heroes are still active and productive. Sadly their deaths are going to come more rapidly. They might look young or at least energetic, but the human body knows how old we are.

I don’t know what makes me feel more sad. The fact that we are gradually losing our idols, or the lack of interest for the whole plethora of great artists that are being passed the torch to.

May he rest in peace. He was a giant.

Regarding the plethora or new players - that's the issue. Back in my day there were very few great rock players. Today there are millions.

We have so many great players today - but not a lot of innovators. JB was in that rarified air of innovators that pushed the limits out of what we can do with electric guitars. He will be missed but what a legacy he left us.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

Regarding the plethora or new players - that's the issue. Back in my day there were very few great rock players. Today there are millions.

We have so many great players today - but not a lot of innovators. JB was in that rarified air of innovators that pushed the limits out of what we can do with electric guitars. He will be missed but what a legacy he left us.

I think it was Richie Blackmore who said of Jeff Beck, "Sometimes he finds notes that I just don't have on my guitar."

I have often said that the Beatles got me interested in playing guitar, and Clapton kept me interested. I'm going to append that comment to add that Beck was the only guitarist whose brilliance made me think of quitting.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

Chuck

Man, but I tell you: there is SO MUCH good music out there to be discovered. Apple Music shows me kickass new albums all the time. There is innovation even these days, we just gotta search for it