Thread: Hey TeleBob, New LP Coming Along

Hey TeleBob, New LP Coming Along

I'm doing another one. This will be my first flame top cherry burst, unless it all goes horribly wrong (in which case it becomes a Black Beauty LOL!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19YS...ew?usp=sharing

Man, getting the moustache just right is a real PITA, but we got 'er done!
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 01-07-2023 at 08:13 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Hey TeleBob, New LP Coming Along

Nice.

I have a new one as well. I started it 10 years ago.

It actually has GibsonJunkie's DNA on it.

I'll bring it to the jam!
    Last edited by Tele-Bob; 01-08-2023 at 09:53 AM.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Nice.

I have a new one as well. I started it 10 years ago.

It actually has GibsonJunkie's DNA on it.

I'll bring it to the jam!

https://photobucket.com/u/Telenator/...7-0347741f181c
    Link asks me for money, can't see it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Link asks me for money, can't see it.

Chuck
    I shared a phtot on your facebook page. Ask gibsonjunkie to share his video...

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    I shared a phtot on your facebook page. Ask gibsonjunkie to share his video...
    Looking for it now...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Very nice. Is that a scratch build or a kit?
    What are you planning for pickups and such?
    I have plans for a build, at least scratch body, not yet sure on the neck.
    I'm slowly getting closer to starting to think about getting materials to start.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Very nice. Is that a scratch build or a kit?
    What are you planning for pickups and such?
    I have plans for a build, at least scratch body, not yet sure on the neck.
    I'm slowly getting closer to starting to think about getting materials to start.
    It's a Stew Mac kit. They had a sale with the kit and all the finishing supplies for less than $300 and I've read how nice the kits are but still was totally impressed with what I received. Tenon was a perfect fit. Took me all of 10 minutes to set the neck into the body - actually easier than a bolt on. Pretty sure now that I see how to do it I can start making my own set-neck guitars from scratch.

Frets are not the medium jumbos I usually use but I figured I'd start at curious and go from there. One nice thing is that the fret ends don't have nibs in the binding so if I re-fret it's an easy job. It currently has a 12" radius but if I re-fret it I'll work the fretboard to a compound radius 12" a nut to 16" at heel.

I know this dude who published a book on guitar building. I think I may even have an honorable mention in it, lol.

OK did the trans cherry on the back today. Let that sit a couple days and then I'll do the vintage yellow on the front and then the burst. I'm vacillating on whether I want the back of the headstock trans red like the rest of the back or if I should make it black with a stinger. My Heritage has a stinger and it just looks so cool. What do you guys think? I love stingers but a lot of times people see one and assume it was added to cover a headstock repair.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 01-14-2023 at 01:31 PM.

It's a Stew Mac kit. They had a sale with the kit and all the finishing supplies for less than $300 and I've read how nice the kits are but still was totally impressed with what I received. Tenon was a perfect fit. Took me all of 10 minutes to set the neck into the body - actually easier than a bolt on. Pretty sure now that I see how to do it I can start making my own set-neck guitars from scratch.
    Nice. I picked up one of the mini-Tele kits for the kiddo. Likewise I'm really impressed with the quality of the whole thing. I've got it sanded down, going to be doing the grain filler in the next day or two. He wants a bit of a stretch with the finish, but |I think i can do it the way he wants. I did a bass a few years back, the burst on that came out almost exactly how i wanted - this should be a bit less touchy than that.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quite pleased with the results. My first burst!

The amber before the burst, it was tempting to leave it that way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LJC...usp=share_link

And then after burst, clear coats, sanding and polishing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d2X...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sVU...usp=share_link

Got her dialed in yesterday afternoon and had some bonding time. I'm diggin' it! Will play it live next weekend.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 01-29-2023 at 06:05 AM.

Looking forward to the gig report. That's one sweet looking guitar!

Looks awesome, OA. Good work!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Gig Report:

I used it Saturday night at a fairly large venue. Because I was in a fun mood, I brought a Deluxe with me to play through.

OK, the results.

Neck pup is nice maybe just a hair on the woofy side. That can be easily corrected.

Bridge pup was head shearing! Monster attack and not a lot of bloom. Much like a beefed-up Tele. A lot of "immediacy" to the sound. We know how to fix that too. Took the 10's off yesterday and put top-wrapped 11's on. Tames the snappy attack and overall smoothed it and put a bloom on it.

I did find an issue with a high fret 18th-19th range during a Duke Jupiter solo that I somehow missed during the leveling and crowning. This was a 10 minute fix and that's sorted now.

I also scraped a little more roll into the neck binding yesterday, another quick change. I had purposely waited until I played it hard to get the final neck edge just right.

Will play again tomorrow night and see if she's totally sorted now.

It's a nice guitar. It got a fair amount of oohs and ahhs from the guitar fans in the audience. A real nitro burst is so beautiful and feels like nothing else. Makes you realize how thick the "nitro" on the new factory Les Pauls is.

Chuck

Gig Report:

I used it Saturday night at a fairly large venue. Because I was in a fun mood, I brought a Deluxe with me to play through.

OK, the results.

Neck pup is nice maybe just a hair on the woofy side. That can be easily corrected.

Bridge pup was head shearing! Monster attack and not a lot of bloom. Much like a beefed-up Tele. A lot of "immediacy" to the sound. We know how to fix that too. Took the 10's off yesterday and put top-wrapped 11's on. Tames the snappy attack and overall smoothed it and put a bloom on it.

I did find an issue with a high fret 18th-19th range during a Duke Jupiter solo that I somehow missed during the leveling and crowning. This was a 10 minute fix and that's sorted now.

I also scraped a little more roll into the neck binding yesterday, another quick change. I had purposely waited until I played it hard to get the final neck edge just right.

Will play again tomorrow night and see if she's totally sorted now.

It's a nice guitar. It got a fair amount of oohs and ahhs from the guitar fans in the audience. A real nitro burst is so beautiful and feels like nothing else. Makes you realize how thick the "nitro" on the new factory Les Pauls is.

Chuck
    Sounds great!

I would lower the pickups some more to balance out the sound and force the amp to drive a little harder to achieve the same volume. The amp compression and raise strings will bring about the smoothness you're seeking and get rid of that "immediacy" you describe. Just like a Strat. They always sound better with the pickups low. I'd go back to 10's as well.

Can't wait to hear you play it in anger at the jam!

Thanks Bob,

I'm digging the 11's to be honest. I'm a bit ham-handed on 10's on 24.75 scale and tend to squeeze the notes sharp or over-bend. I keep 10's on the Fenders though!

Agree 100% that adjusting the height will help. It usually takes me a few shows to get a new one dialed in. It's pretty nice right now, I just think it even has a little more potential to uncover. You know, the whole bonding period. Right now the sex is great. We'll see how it is in a year.

Chuck

Thanks Bob,

I'm digging the 11's to be honest. I'm a bit ham-handed on 10's on 24.75 scale and tend to squeeze the notes sharp or over-bend. I keep 10's on the Fenders though!

Agree 100% that adjusting the height will help. It usually takes me a few shows to get a new one dialed in. It's pretty nice right now, I just think it even has a little more potential to uncover. You know, the whole bonding period. Right now the sex is great. We'll see how it is in a year.

Chuck
    Agreed. I have a little meet and great tomorrow with a bunch of people who looking to start a band. Some good players from what I can tell. I'm dying to test drive the long scale Les Paul, but I want to sound my best so, I may just play my Suhr. That guitar always delivers like no other. The sounds from this new LP are quite promising though. I usually don't care for P90s on a Fender scale, but this one seems to be handling it quite well. Only a reckless, throw down jam will tell though. We'll see. Either way, it will make am appearance in Mendon!