I wasn't sure where to put this, and I'm really posting as a discussion point/curiosity.

Yesterday as I was browsing software updates and new releases, I came across an open-source program called
miniAudicle. Available for all major computer platforms, miniAudicle states, "The miniAudicle is a light-weight integrated development environment for the ChucK digital audio programming language. It can be used as a standalone ChucK development + runtime + on-the-fly programming environment, or in conjunction with traditional command-line modes of 'chuck' operation and with other chuck tools."

Well, OK. What is ChucK? The folks at Princeton University call it a "Strongly-timed, Concurrent, and On-the-fly Music Programming Language."

Since I'm not a Princetonian type, the info blurb reads like Greek to me. And I'm in the computer field! "what is it? : ChucK is a programming language for real-time sound synthesis and music creation. ChucK offers a unique time-based, concurrent programming model that is precise and expressive (we call this strongly-timed), dynamic control rates, and the ability to add and modify code on-the-fly. In addition, ChucK supports MIDI, OpenSoundControl, HID device, and multi-channel audio. It is open-source and freely available on MacOS X, Windows, and Linux. It's fun and easy to learn, and offers composers, researchers, and performers a powerful programming tool for building and experimenting with complex audio synthesis/analysis programs, and real-time interactive music."

Has anyone used this? Has anyone even heard of it? I haven't. I suspect it's not something I'd put to use, but it does kind of suggest the kinds of things tech types put their minds to...